Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Lens caps- where do you put them?

lighthawk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Lens caps- where do you put them?

PV Hiker wrote:
Hey Lighthawk,

I put it in my pocket, but at times was disappointed to find it was sharing space with a tissue. With a lens hood on I find I go a long time without a cap on. Cap goes on when environment gets bad, blowing dirt etc. I will put the cap on when hiking up and down or over steep uneven terrain that Iíve been known to slip (donít you just love gravity and age!). The cap can add just a bit of protection walking around off trail.
Patrick

Hey Patrick,

That was part of my original post: that I find my pockets have lint, and that's where I tend to slip the cap. But as the posters here attest, everyone has some sort of random system, and only a few always put the lens cap in the same place.

I hike with lens uncapped, to be ready for action when it presents. But, will cap when blowing sand, snow, etc. are problematic.

Apr 22, 2013 at 03:05 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.3 #2 · Lens caps- where do you put them?

The issue with rear caps in the pocket is transfer of lint etc. into the mirror box when swapping lenses. Keep rear caps in the camera bag and you'll likely have to clean the sensor less often.

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:01 PM
gwaww
• •
p.3 #3 · Lens caps- where do you put them?

My wife's bra----and it still takes me awhile to find it!!!

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:24 PM
RonR2
• •
p.3 #4 · Lens caps- where do you put them?

lose them
But now I know where Jo keeps hers.......

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dennis M 1064
• •
p.3 #5 · Lens caps- where do you put them?

I'll have to look into man bras. . .er. . .um. . .I mean chest mounted lens cap holders.

Yeah, I do the pocket thing sometimes, but I have found that I don't seem to have a pair of pants, jacket or coat that doesn't have a bit of hay in the pockets. Dang horses!

Outdoors, I tend to shoot with the lens hood. On the 70-200, that can be a reach for the lens cap, and it isn't easy to grab. I slip the Tri-pod head case that came with my Really Right Stuff BH-40 Ball head onto my lens. It has a quick draw string on it. Works great! Would like some more of them in different sizes for my other lenses . Even fits over the lee filter holder, but you would want your filters off first of course.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=LB-40&type=0&eq=&desc=LB-40%3a-Padded-Cordura-Pouch

Put a carabiner on your belt loop and you can quickly snap the cover onto it by the draw string so you don't lose it.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:43 PM
hotwire

p.3 #6 · Lens caps- where do you put them?

I use a heavily modified Blackrapid DR-1 double strap, and I've managed to attach a pair of Sony LCS-LC1AM soft lens pouches.

Not a great photo, as it is black and white (from a friend's flickr), but it gets the idea across:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lxdesign/6469350347/

Apr 28, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.3 #7 · Lens caps- where do you put them?

Back left pocket for me, otherwise, jacket pocket, but I so often get halfway through a shooting session, get too warm for a jacket, put my jacket in the car, then go hunting everywhere but my jacket for the cap for about 15 minutes...

May 07, 2013 at 02:50 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password