New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D600 service?

tm0000

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D600 service?

Hi all!

I need to send my nikon D600 in to be cleaned (it has some dust and oil spots). Should I just go to this webpage http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-And-Repair.page and click schedule a repair and fill out all the details? Approximately how long should it take them to respond and service my camera? Will they be sending a prepaid shipping label to send the camera to them?

Thanks for your help!

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:00 AM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D600 service?

That is the correct link to enter the data for your service. It's been a while since I've sent anything for service, but it seems others are getting their gear back within a few weeks unless it's major repair. I've never heard of Nikon paying the shipping for you.

You're probably gonna be asked this again, but have you considered cleaning it yourself? There are cleaning kits at a very reasonable cost that can be used for years across multiple cameras. It's cheap and not difficult. There are some good youtube how to videos that will walk you through it, and your camera is ready and clean in 10 minutes instead of 2-3 weeks. Cleaning dust is routine maintenance for a DSLR. There are precautions you can take to minimize the problem, but even if you have one lens and NEVER remove it, you will still slowly accumulate some dust.

If you insist that it must be cleaned by Nikon, I definitely wouldn't send it in if you have less than 3-5k shots on it. It seems the D600 oil issue dries up somewhere around this point. If you only have 500 shots on your D600, there's probably more oils spots yet to come.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Reagan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D600 service?

APS will clean it for you for $45 and take about 5 days turnaround They do great work
Here is the link to their site

http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/

Reagan

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D600 service?

Learn to do it yourself. It works the same as cleaning windows, when it's done a bird think it is time again for.......

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM
photosmile
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D600 service?

When I was there at APS in Morton Grove to have the motor for Nikon 300mm replace, I
asked the guy that works there if I could bring my D600 in for the sensor cleaning and
he said that Nikon will allow 1 free sensor cleaning for the D600 because of the oil/dirt issue.
I haven't had time to go there yet. Just thought I pass the information along.

Edited on Apr 18, 2013 at 03:22 PM · View previous versions

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D600 service?

Firstly, you pay to ship it to them. Then they will repair it, and if its under warranty (it is), ship it back without charge about two weeks later.

I have sent things to Nikon with a note containing my name, addy and email/phone #, then a quick description of what the issue is. Only once in the past 30 years of Nikon usage have I had an issue.

The issue then was a 17-55/2.8 which I dropped as it had not connected with the body it was on. No major damage but the zoom became a little stiff. I sent it to them, they said it would cost $290.00 and take about 4 weeks due to parts. 5 weeks later, I received a new lens, not my original. Why? I called and asked what happened to mine, and they said after they quoted me, got the parts, repaired it.. they could not get it back to tolerance. I called twice about it and the first time I was told it was because they lost it. I called again and spoke to a manager or such, who said it was not lost, but just could not be repaired as promised. In my case they gave me a new lens.

So, send it in… :-)

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:49 PM
kendalltristan

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D600 service?

I've recently done this with my D600. The process was completely painless and I only paid for shipping to get the camera to them. Turnaround was less than a week. The only thing I had to do was take the box down to the shipping store and have them print out the return authorization and the receipt from Amazon to put in the box with the camera. Total cost was twelve bucks and change and it came back good as new.

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:32 PM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D600 service?

IMHO, learn to do it yourself. It's something that you'll find you need to do on a regular basis anyway. Personally, I use a Giottos rocket blower and the basic kit with quick strips from http://www.copperhillimages.com/

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.