Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Shooting batters w 600

amlsml
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Shooting batters w 600

Read a post by Paul describing the 600 as one of the best to minimize bad backgrounds. The league we play in will only let me inside the fence if there is a dead ball 'box" lined out. originally it was placed directly behind the 1st and 3rd base right behind the managers line. problem is a wild throw to either could result is game changing event. So i moved the box back 20 feet behind first and used the 600. From this vantage, i can shoot batters, but very tight. If I move the box back further, the angle decreases and will prevent the use of the 200-400 for field play? I realize many of these are stock images, their purpose is for parent sales. thoughts? thanks

NIKON D3S    600mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    600mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    310mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Aqualung
• • •
p.1 #2 · Shooting batters w 600

Like that catcher....do you have a 400? or 300+TC1.4?

Chris

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #3 · Shooting batters w 600

Chris this is a 600 f4

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Aqualung
• • •
p.1 #4 · Shooting batters w 600

I know, was asking if you had the others available to you?

Chris

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:27 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #5 · Shooting batters w 600

yes, i have a 300, 200-400, and teleconverters, was trying to shoot tight and stay out of the way

Apr 20, 2013 at 04:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Hammy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Shooting batters w 600

amlsml wrote:
From this vantage, i can shoot batters, but very tight. If I move the box back further, the angle decreases and will prevent the use of the 200-400 for field play? I realize many of these are stock images, their purpose is for parent sales. thoughts? thanks

LOVE THEM!!!!

First and only point I really need to make... can parents get those shots!?!!

Didn't think so!

Tight and isolation is the key go parent sales. They have the kit lens that shows half the field of play with everything from the grass in front of them to the water tower in the next county in focus!

I've shot 6-8 yr olds with Mk2 (1.3x crop) with 1.4 and 400/2.8 - laying down only inches from first and third base. Tight, low, shallow DOF - it's what separates the pros from the PWACs.
Many times, I'll have parent (with camera in hand) ask me to make sure I get their kit batting/fielding, etc... because I have bigger glass than them. They're the #1 buyers, because obviously they like photos - and when you can provide something different than what they can get, it'll sell (assuming your booth and sales workflow is condusive to the market)

Keep it up - the tight shots. It's not about what shoes they bought, its about their faces and the action!

Great stuff!!!

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #7 · Shooting batters w 600

Thanks Hammy, really enjoying shooting baseball! I never thought how hard it is to shoot, thank god for this forum!

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM
6kimages

p.1 #8 · Shooting batters w 600

they are great shots ! I could (or could have been ) one of those parents hammy is speaking of. I have always had an interest in photography , past few years it has grown rapidly.My main challenge is hockey but I shoot ball as well,yes I would buy those shots of my children even today, even if I was shooting they are great shots .One advantage I have is I coach as well and I seem to juggle the two alright . Keep up the good work!

Apr 22, 2013 at 01:26 AM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #9 · Shooting batters w 600

I've only shot little league games, but I have a couple of comments.

First, you have a couple shots where it is clear that the batter is not swinging at the pitch. I don't think those shots are going to sell. Parents want to see action of their kids, but action that is of their child "succeeding" and not "failing." No one wants to buy an image of their child failing to do something or even worse, showing their kid failing at something they are doing. Images of swings and misses, or just letting balls past are "failures" and they won't sell as well as a shot of "success". Obviously we all love to get the perfect shot of the bat on ball, but I think the second best shot is with the player swinging and the ball out in front of the plate. The player may have swung and missed, but with the ball out in front of the plate, it sells the idea that the kid hit the ball vs a ball behind the batter or an image with the kid not swinging at all. You can sell the idea of "success" in an image where you capture the action just before the actual success/failure point. But if you capture the action after that success/failure point, then it is clear if the kid failed (ie swinging and missing, not beating a ball to the bag, missing the catch, etc, etc, etc).

This does mean that the in camera crop cannot usually be a close as these images however. You need to take the images with enough space to capture the action. You can always crop down a little in post to get the perfect image. Obviously we cannot tell how you are shooting these images - if they are SOOC or cropped. But if they are SOOC, I would suggest shooting a little wider to allow a greater chance of catching the right action and allowing yourself the ability to crop it closer in PP. If you shoot too tight in camera, you greatly reduce your chances of getting the best action/crop.

For example, image #5 is a bad crop IMHO. The batter should be in the left 1/3 rather than center/right. If this is out of camera, you have no way of correcting the crop. If you shoot a little wider, then you can crop in PP and get a much more compelling image.

Apr 22, 2013 at 05:07 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #10 · Shooting batters w 600

Hey thanks for the crit and for taking the time. Have a few more games this week!

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:54 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password