Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sam Hinton and his harmonica

Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sam Hinton and his harmonica

Sam Hinton was a multi-instrumentalist folk singer coming out of East Texas in the 1930's. Made Library of Congress Recordings in 1947 and had been playing harmonica for over eighty years at the time I made this image of him at his house in San Diego about a dozen years ago. Sam died in 2009 and the San Diego Folk Festival has been renamed the Sam Hinton Folk Festival. Before he died George Winston made a record of Sam playing every single harmonica tune, jig and reel he could remember. Pretty hard core for harmonica lovers, but Sam was a master. This tiny instrument he played with no hands.

I'm finding that most of my favorite images from this time were shot on Plus-X. It's demise is second only to Kodachrome. Still have a few rolls in the fridge. These were shot on a RZ.

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:36 AM
neighbourboy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Sam Hinton and his harmonica

I like the Wide angle on the first. It's quirky and it fits.

--David

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:41 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Sam Hinton and his harmonica

I guess I've been playing it wrong all these years. Both photos are really good. I wish the blacks were a little darker but that's just a personal preference

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:35 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Sam Hinton and his harmonica

Y'know, I've never been one to keep track of any of the particulars of any of my images, but I'm pretty sure the first shot was not with a wide angle, just a low angle. The lens was either a 90mm or a 150mm, neither very wide.

eSchwab - The black point on both of those images is 5,5,5 to 6,6,6, which is pretty black in my book. If they're not looking black enough to you, you could have a monitor luminance combined with a black point level thing going on. On the Sony Artisan's, which I'm still using, believe it or not, and a screen where you actually see the difference between zero and one, these are just how I want them.

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:20 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #5 · Sam Hinton and his harmonica

Cool set, thanks for sharing

Greg

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:54 AM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Sam Hinton and his harmonica

Cool portrait!

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:28 PM

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Sam Hinton and his harmonica

Peter,
As a lifetime film shooter (mostly Kodachrome 64), I understand and share your grief at the loss of Plus-X.
Immediacy and electronic doodaddery have taken over the world- alas .
About your post:
The second image nicely backs up the first- which IMO is the real deal; I love it.
I'm all for reality in people-pics, and this one captures a great deal of it (right down to the white nose-hairs with dark backgrounds ).
About Sam Hinton- all I can say is wow! That he could make good music without using his hands takes the whole thing into the world of the magical.
Thanks for the images and the back-story.
Charlie

Apr 19, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Sam Hinton and his harmonica

Here's a link to some video George Winston shot during the recording sessions he did with Sam. I was at one day of those sessions but don't remember seeing any video there, so they must of done it before or after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P93ctZNRSl8

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:50 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Sam Hinton and his harmonica

Very interesting guy. With these 2 images, I feel that I know him a bit.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #10 · Sam Hinton and his harmonica

#1 really is a captivating portrait!

Apr 22, 2013 at 09:04 AM
SteveF
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Sam Hinton and his harmonica

#1 is great - gave me a chuckle.