New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

cbreiland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

Other than weathersealing and less weight, are there any significant reasons to pick up the Nikon over the Sigma at this point?

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

No, but weathersealing is a big point if you need to get the shot. Otherwise you would have to shoot with a plastic bag around lens and camera.
Still went with the Sigma though. (and the plastic bag )

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM
jared_irl
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

depends on who you ask...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1180988

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1198924

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:40 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

I suppose the ultimate goal to purchase a lens is the image quality. In this regard Sigma is definitely the winner.

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:49 AM
Creative Edge
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

I've had both, the Nikon never impressed me with the IQ, loving the Sigma...

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:10 AM
zesto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

Creative Edge wrote:
I've had both, the Nikon never impressed me with the IQ, loving the Sigma...

Likewise.

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:43 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

zesto wrote:
Likewise.

+1.

Apr 18, 2013 at 06:11 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

cbreiland wrote:
Other than weathersealing and less weight, are there any significant reasons to pick up the Nikon over the Sigma at this point?

Not to me. My 35 f1.4G didn't get really sharp 'til f2.2
Along comes the Sigma (A) 35 f1.4 and I hit the preorder button without hesitation.
We'll see how it fares, eh?! (always an early adopter for my own reviews)
Box opened...great build, tack sharp wide open on 5 different bodys. Holy crap!!
Nikon's 35 is just a memory, now...able to shoot f1.4 thru f2 again and love the IQ?? Priceless!
Ok, 1/2 the price Just sayin'

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:13 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

cbreiland wrote:

If you prefer having much less money in your bank is the only reason I can see at this stage.

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:19 AM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

playerofwar wrote:
No, but weathersealing is a big point if you need to get the shot. Otherwise you would have to shoot with a plastic bag around lens and camera.
Still went with the Sigma though. (and the plastic bag )

Yah, what's up with Sigma not weather sealing this lens

If they had it'd be damn near perfect!

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:18 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

rd4tile wrote:
Yah, what's up with Sigma not weather sealing this lens

If they had it'd be damn near perfect!

There was a comedian I once heard who summed up his unrequited quest for the perfect mate this way, "I'm looking for a virgin who's whore who can cook who'll be a saintly mother".

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:29 AM
ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

There's no question that the IQ of the Sigma 35 is better however, the focus inconsistencies of the Sigma was a problem for me. My first copy would front & back focus like crazy and the the system stopped working. Returned it and got a second copy which turned out to be a lot better but still inconsistent. I sold it and now in the process of acquiring the Nikon. Hopefully, I will have better success. I realize that the Nikon 35 has/have its share of issues as well but being that 35mm is my preferred focal length, I willing to take the chance.

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:13 AM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

ADCOLE wrote:
There's no question that the IQ of the Sigma 35 is better however, the focus inconsistencies of the Sigma was a problem for me. My first copy would front & back focus like crazy and the the system stopped working. Returned it and got a second copy which turned out to be a lot better but still inconsistent. I sold it and now in the process of acquiring the Nikon. Hopefully, I will have better success. I realize that the Nikon 35 has/have its share of issues as well but being that 35mm is my preferred focal length, I willing
...Show more

Interesting, I'm actually enjoying using the outer AF points on the D600 which work perfectly wide open with the Sigma. No problems out past infinity either.

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:37 AM
TSY87
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

I was never impressed with the nikkor 35 1.4g... i had 2 copies.

Ended up selling both and will probably purchase the sigma... just waiting for some funds to gather after ordering the zeiss 135/2

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

Everything that I have read, I don't own either, is that the Sigma is much sharper than the Nikon but I've read very little about which one actually acquires and locks focus the best in really difficult lighting situations like wedding receptions. What point is it if a lens is incredibly sharp but it is either slow to focus or hunts endlessly?

Those who started out with the Nikon and switched to the Sigma do you have any comments on the Sigma's ability to focus fast and lock focus in poor lighting? Lighting where you have to shoot at ISO 2000 or above and at the same time f2 or wider.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

I had Nikon 1.4G but sold it since I rarely shoot f/4 and wider with the FL. Picked up a used 35 f/2D from B&S, and have never looked back.

What really matters to me is the following:

Sigma 1.4 = 23.46 oz (665 g)
Nikon 1.4G = 21.2 oz (601 g)
Nikon f/2D = 7.23 oz (205 g)

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

MRomine wrote:
Everything that I have read, I don't own either, is that the Sigma is much sharper than the Nikon but I've read very little about which one actually acquires and locks focus the best in really difficult lighting situations like wedding receptions. What point is it if a lens is incredibly sharp but it is either slow to focus or hunts endlessly?

Those who started out with the Nikon and switched to the Sigma do you have any comments on the Sigma's ability to focus fast and lock focus in poor lighting? Lighting where you have to shoot at ISO
...Show more

I have little experience with 35/1.4 G - testing it briefly in a shop a year ago without to impress me very much.

I own Sigma 35/1.4 and at least my copy performs exceptionally. Sharp wide open... I mean really sharp... the AF is fast and precise even in dark settings. Tested it on D800, D600, D7000 and D70s. No fine tuning needed. I may be a lucky guy The only shortcoming (for me) of Sigma is its weight... but I can live with that.

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:10 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

The only shortcoming (for me) of Sigma is its weight.
Damn! Guess I'm "odd man out" again...actually consider this an asset.
Better balance with a Pro/gripped body (of which I have 5) love the heft!

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:30 PM
opolione

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

My second copy of this lens is going back, this one is hunting in lower light, AF was slow and sluggish compared to the fist copy and a very stiff (too stiff) focus ring that squeaked out of the box (this did go away after first use but certainly does not inspire confidence). Of course, same inconsistent focusing with left and right points but even more so with close and far distances. My D800 was recently in for left AF and now performs perfectly with little to zero AF fine tune required with 16-35, 50, 85, and 70-200.

Does anyone have a copy of the Sigma that has consistent AF out of the box on a D800/E? That is, from MFD to over 15ft, indoor/outdoor light, left and right AF points? Or are there inherent issues with certain aspects of this lens that we just need to work around? IQ is ridiculously good at 1.4, otherwise I would have called it a day after the first copy.

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:46 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon 35 1.4 G vs Sigma

opolione wrote:
My second copy of this lens is going back, this one is hunting in lower light, AF was slow and sluggish compared to the fist copy and a very stiff (too stiff) focus ring that squeaked out of the box (this did go away after first use but certainly does not inspire confidence).

This has always been the beef on Sigma down through the years. Inconsistent QC on their products. Some time you have to purchase two or three to find a good one.

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:50 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.