Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

KFG1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

And hopefully Canon will bring out cheaper non-IS versions of their lens again. I know I'm in the minority here but I really prefer a tripod or fast lens to IS in all situations.

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:21 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

I would not hold your breath for any of these magical cures sales pitches.

+1. The hype about this "new tool" is just Adobe trying to convince customers that they haven't run out of new ideas for Photoshop. They're desperate to keep us on the upgrade path - or convince us that we need to subscribe to their "Cloud" service so we always have the latest version of PS. In reality, Photoshop CS6 is a mature product (heck, even PS CS3 - 5 were), and at this point there is very little in additional software tools that most photographers need to produce great images in post.

John

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:56 PM
7Wishes

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

sneak peaks of this were released before PS CS6 was released. My guess there will be a lot of hype prior to the release of whatever replaces CS6, but once it gets in to the real world it will be nowhere near as good as the claims.

Apr 19, 2013 at 03:00 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

dswiger wrote:
I like the idea of it, but still prefer the 4 stops I get on my 70-400/f4

runamuck wrote:
IS will probably be cheaper, too.

Maybe. But imagine what image stabilization AND the deblur tool can do when you combine them.

As a photographer who always wants to shoot @ ISO 100 (even when shooting handheld), I must say that this feature looks like a game changer!

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:23 PM
ToutSuite
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

BluesWest wrote:
+1. The hype about this "new tool" is just Adobe trying to convince customers that they haven't run out of new ideas for Photoshop. They're desperate to keep us on the upgrade path - or convince us that we need to subscribe to their "Cloud" service so we always have the latest version of PS. In reality, Photoshop CS6 is a mature product (heck, even PS CS3 - 5 were), and at this point there is very little in additional software tools that most photographers need to produce great images in post.

John

Never understood this approach to new technollogy. "Everything good has already been invented, why keep trying?" Especially difficult to square this with your final sentence, regarding "most" photographers. Most photographers are upgrading to DLSRs or Micro 4/3 system and setting them on "P" or "M" mode and hoping for the best. Not knowing what Tv is and why you might want to use it to reduce blur from camera shake, not owning an IS or VR equipped lens, resulting in plenty of photos blurred by camera shake which can now potentially be rescued by new technology.

It just seems odd to dismiss something without even trying it. I can't wait to give this a whirl and see what it can do. I was impressed with content aware fill, the patch tool, adaptive wide angle filter, the list goes on and on. I use them regularly and they all occurred after "mature product" CS3. Keep an open mind!

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:32 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Tout so much of software is 'vapor', in truth development is far more difficult than people realise and capabilities are often oversold in order to keep the project going and keep the team employed. One cannot afford to get excited about everything out there that one hears about, it pays to be skeptical and if this feature really is useful, there will be plenty of sites to review it once it comes out. So it's not like we'll miss anything by being doubtful at this point. All too often people fall in the trap of taking sales literature at face value and wasting their money on bad product that they do not need or even want in the end.

I agree that photoshop has not improved much with the last few updates, many photographers I know in person have stopped updating. Nothing like the big jump that Lightroom 4 was.

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:08 PM
ToutSuite
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Who is advocating wasting money? Adobe has a strong history of providing demo copies of all major releases. I assume this will be no different. And I wasn't aware "excitement" was a finite resource. I'm excited about the possibilities of this new technology. If it turns out not to be useful for me, I'll be fine with that. My soul won't be crushed, and as many people in this thread have mentioned, there are plenty of ways to eliminate camera shake if you're willing to lose a little bit of flexibility this software might have allowed you to have.

Making the jump to a digital workflow is easier if you lose the prejudices of the relatively static technology of film. Release yourselves from the instinct to reject new technologies simply because initiatives of the past haven't panned out, or because of antiquated assumptions about what it means to be a true photographer. There are new tools emerging yearly. We do ourselves no disservice evaluating them all and deciding which will help us bring the images on screen and paper closer to that in our minds.

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:31 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

For some time I have had a useful de blurring program. But I left it behind when I went to OS X. I can use it on my virtual XP session but that really is a hassle. They have been promising to make a Mac version for all these years.

Guess they will be out of business soon. But nice to know I will get something valuable when I upgrade to CS6, except RAW converter updates for those new cameras I must certainly buy.

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:56 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

It's cool, but just like IS, nothing beats proper technique.

IS and proper technique=extra cool (or those times when it's border line, the IS saves your pensky).

Apr 20, 2013 at 09:43 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

I've never understood the Naysayers either. Technology moves on. Sometimes in fits and starts, but to listen to the naysayers we would still be in the stone age because the "flintstone" is a mature product. I've been using FocusMagic for several years and while not perfect it is helpful. I'm looking forward to the new technology and seeing if equals or betters FocusMagic. When you are standing on a mountain ledge with one foot lower than the other and the wind blowing, proper technique is wishful thinking.

I just checked out the ARC 8.1 Beta with the new anti blur function. So far FocusMagic is still better. Adobe is close, but no cigar.

Edited on May 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM · View previous versions

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:12 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

ToutSuite wrote:
Never understood this approach to new technollogy. "Everything good has already been invented, why keep trying?" Especially difficult to square this with your final sentence, regarding "most" photographers. Most photographers are upgrading to DLSRs or Micro 4/3 system and setting them on "P" or "M" mode and hoping for the best. Not knowing what Tv is and why you might want to use it to reduce blur from camera shake, not owning an IS or VR equipped lens, resulting in plenty of photos blurred by camera shake which can now potentially be rescued by new technology.

It just seems odd to
...Show more

Hear, hear!

I upgrade PS every three versions, but if this tool actually works well when released, I'll upgrade earlier than normal. Tools are just that; of no use if you don't own it.

There are folks who still scoff at digital; there are those who snort at AF and zoom lenses; as we see from this thread alone there are those who look down their noses at IS; there will always be Luddites. Whatever.

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:49 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Fred Miranda wrote:
The feature can take a photo that’s blurry due to camera shake caused by low light or slow shutter speeds, calculate the shake amount and "deblur" it.
Check out the sneak peek video demonstrating this new tool in action...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/stUD-DRhTZg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey Fred, before Adobe Microsoft was working on this for several years but they gave up.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/imudeblurring/

here is a link to the published article
link

It doesn't really work in practice because the higher special frequencies are lost. The algorithm has to use extrapolation to "guess" those harmonics that were lost by blur. This works *IF* you exactly know the relative displacement vector and if motion was simple (i.e blurred in one direction). If motion is complex like shaky hands it will not be effective. Previously Adobe used synthetic blur in their demos so it was not difficult to recover the image, however it did not work for the majority of real-world samples and they decided to exclude it from CS6.

MS approach was to use the camera's accelerometer aka orientation sensor (every camera has one these days) to record motion and use it to calculate blur but even that didn't work given the technical difficulties.

I don't think there is a software substitute for optical stabilization (and as others pointed out solid technique) unless you are willing to scarifies lots of resolution...

Camera manufacturers including Canon have also put considerable R&D money on this from early 2000's (introduction of digital) but concluded it was not possible. maybe Adobe have a secret sauce

Apr 26, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Paul Gardner wrote:
I've never understood the Naysayers either. Technology moves on. Sometimes in fits and starts, but to listen to the naysayers we would still be in the stone age because the "flintstone" is a mature product.

The main thing is 'healthy skepticism', for everyone one technology that has caught on, I can name ten that didn't, regardless of how promising they seemed or how much a marketing rep tried to 'talk it up'. This is especially true with software, hence the term 'vaporware'.

I'll have an open mind once it actually comes out, read the reviews or see it in action. But until then, very discriminating.

"I don't think there is a software substitute for optical stabilization (and as others pointed out solid technique) unless you are willing to scarifies lots of resolution..." It's not that it's software that makes it inferior, but that it's applied after-the-fact. If sensors and readout times improve it may be possible to someday do still photo image stabilization purely in software, but we're not really there yet.

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:15 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Access wrote:
It's not that it's software that makes it inferior, but that it's applied after-the-fact. If sensors and readout times improve it may be possible to someday do still photo image stabilization purely in software, but we're not really there yet.

Blur is limited by exposure time, not sensor readout time, the sensor clock is at megahertz frequency. you cannot perform a readout while the image is being exposed. it maybe possible to monitor and record motion during exposure using external sensors but that's what MS tried.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:04 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Gochugogi wrote:
Now I can finally shoot one handed and three sheets to the wind!

That's how everybody shoots around here....problem is that it's 12 gauges

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:19 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

speedmaster20d wrote:
you cannot perform a readout while the image is being exposed.

Not right now at least...
We're starting to see cameras that can do 1080p60 or even 4K video with some reasonable framerate, in the near future we might see something that applies stabilization to high-framerate video frames (using software) and then sums them up or otherwise combines them to produce the best and sharpest exposure over a variable time period... this could be done with some kind of specialized software or maybe even realtime in the camera.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Access: I agree that technology needs to be examined closely, but given the "Impossible" tag that was applied to radio, TV, Space exploration, etc. the naysayers have been proven wrong so many times they should learn and shut up.
IS is improving and as angular encoding devices and focus motors get better it should be possible to keep focus closer and closer optically. In the mean time we turn to software to pick up the slack. Phase detection seems to be the current means of focus and probably will prove the closest and most accurate as the state of the art progresses in measuring the phase difference.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Access
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Paul Gardner wrote:
Access: I agree that technology needs to be examined closely, but given the "Impossible" tag that was applied to radio, TV, Space exploration, etc. the naysayers have been proven wrong so many times they should learn and shut up.

Healthy skepticism is mostly an attitude for the discriminating consumer. If I was a gullible idiot, after watching that video I might believe every word of it and rush to sell all my IS lenses believing that the software would make IS redundant (causing the value of any IS lens to drop significantly in the future). Skepticism and gullibility are polar opposites, a gullible person believes everything they are told, a skeptical person believes things only when they see it for themselves. This kind of technology might have its applications (ie. reversing censorship or other forms of artificial blurring done by editors/publishers/etc. to hide something they don't want the audience to see) but one had best wait to see it demonstrated in the real world rather than someone's fantasy world before even so much as getting excited about it.

Likewise I can argue that in the cases where the naysayers were wrong, they actually helped the development along rather than hindered it. For many of these advancements, they gave the inventor an additional reason to push forward, ie. "If for no other reason, to prove everybody else wrong!"

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

I think this is a great thing. No it won't replace IS, no it won't work on every picture maybe 25% if your lucky. But it can save same some pictures and having it as an option will be a good thing. If you don't count on it but use it as emergency tool it will be awesome.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM
James Cripps
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

*Yawn* Wake me up when I can put my camera on auto-pilot and have it go out on a day assignment for me.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.