Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Wonderful news, I've already had my photographic life saved twice by Photoshop's Smart Sharpen Motion Blur correction tool, getting print sales on action shots that would otherwise have been binned. Having even better "cockup removal" tools in Photoshop, together with shooting RAW, will give us all a better safety net when things go wrong.

Of course I know there are FMers who NEVER make mistakes, but I, sadly, am not one of them!

Good job Adobe.

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:45 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

jamato8 wrote:
It could save that shot that really needs it.

Yeah this. I've some shots that slight blur has pretty much ruined, it may recover those to a decent point. It wont replace technique or IS but its going to be a good tool to use along side.

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:02 AM
DocsPics
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

I think Starbucks is behind this.....

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:41 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

leftymgp wrote:
You can't put back detail that was never there. Your image may look better, but it's not going to look as good as an image that never had any shake to begin with.

The detail is there in a blurred image, it's just "encoded" in a certain way. It is totally possible to recover some or all of this detail if you know the correct way to decode it. This is where the method can be hit and miss in practice, since the software has to estimate the deconvoluition kernel, it is never known. Even if you did know the exact kernel to use, image noise can still be a problem.

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:43 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

While I welcome forward thinking, optical solutions are preferable to software solutions.

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:58 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Luck for me having been too lazy to delete all my slightly blurred photos from my image collection.

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:47 AM
Kolor-Pikker
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Matt Grum wrote:
The detail is there in a blurred image, it's just "encoded" in a certain way. It is totally possible to recover some or all of this detail if you know the correct way to decode it. This is where the method can be hit and miss in practice, since the software has to estimate the deconvoluition kernel, it is never known. Even if you did know the exact kernel to use, image noise can still be a problem.

Yep, assuming we had perfect noiseless images, deconvolution could be very effective, but the more noise in the image, the worse it works. Not a problem if you intend to deblur an ISO100 shot, but most low-light images or other cases where you might get blur will almost certainly be at a higher ISO, because why would you want to risk blur with a low ISO, when you can just turn it up? Noise is easy to remove; blur is not.

Apr 18, 2013 at 06:32 AM
danb121
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Nothing beats getting it right in camera, but this could save those shots that you just can't retake... I'm sure that we all have some of those!

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:11 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

I thought this was old technology. Wasn't this used for years in american crime shows such as CSI?

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:18 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

David Baldwin wrote:
Of course I know there are FMers who NEVER make mistakes, but I, sadly, am not one of them!

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when you are perfect in every way

It'll will require that the focus is accurate, but the image has only been affected by motion blur, it won't do miracles and fix oof shots

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:06 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Looks like a good tool to have but I would not rely on it when making high quality images. Best get it right in camera. Nothing new there.

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:17 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

It is good to see photoshop tools evolving, although, generally speaking, post process "fakery" is only an imperfect substitute for a well taken photo.

For those of us who do much of our photography at high shutter speed, the primary benefit of lens IS is not in mitigation of camera/lens shake caused blur. The primary lens IS benefit, which, BTW, is generally still not well understood, is in allowing a capture, making it well framed, and enabling higher success rate AF.

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:31 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

I'm really digging this feature. Even though 99% of the time my camera is mounted on a tripod, I still see myself using this feature in situations where I hand hold the camera/lens, especially since my only IS lens in my bag is the 24-105mm.

-Nick

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:52 AM
Access
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

It sounds like a nice feature but we'll see how well it works when it comes out (provided it's not vaporware). There's no point about getting excited about it before then, kinda doubtful IMO. I mean, we've had digital photography for >10 years and if it was that great, someone would have done something like this already.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

I think it probably makes very nice demos when you take a 20 megapixel image and resize it for a tablet or the web. I'll be really impressed when they show me that you can make a nice sized print with it.

Not that it isn't useful if it just salvages a small jpg for online.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Gyrine
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Of course, we could always consider using good technique in the field and getting sharp shots that way...but I guess I'm old fashioned.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

As others have written, I don't believe this new tool will replace our sturdy tripods, adequate shutter speeds, or high-tech image stabilization. However, I'm curious to see how it could improve our handheld photos, especially when shooting with high pixel density sensors.

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:02 PM
mabidally
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

Sony already does in body stabilization so post should be possible.

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:36 PM
Access
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

In-body stabilization is completely different since that is done in realtime as the photo is being taken.

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:39 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Photoshop Camera Shake Reduction: The End of IS?

I say bring it on Adobe! It is another tool that one can use when in the perfect situation to help make or break it for any reason. Adobe by trying and thinking out of the box might cause a discovery in a different part of the digital dark room that could help make a leap into a future level of how we do things. It will be like a lot of tools in PS, there if you need it.

Will I use it, if I find that is the right tool, then yes. I have plenty of images that I could practice with .

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:32 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.