Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Best waterproof point and shoot?

PeakPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best waterproof point and shoot?

Hey everyone,

So I've been in the market for a waterproof point and shoot for a while, but being a photographer with a lot invested in gear I don't want something that's going to give me shit for quality. I would love to get a waterproof housing for my dslr but it's just too expensive and too cumbersome to bring on trips.

I'm an adventure travel photographer so I cover everything from hiking to biking to rafting. The rafting is where I'd really need it. The hiking and biking will be covered by my dslrs. I'll be rafting in Costa Rica here in a month and need something that will give me at least decent quality.

I used to have an olympus tough, but it wasn't so tough. Broke (became waterlogged) day two into a week long raft trip down the Grand Canyon.

I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Andy

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Cicopo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best waterproof point and shoot?

If you're looking for the simple solution the Canon D 10 & D 20 have a decent reputation but as a diver I know the G series (I use a G9) is a way better option but at a price. No matter which way you go housed cameras need extra care before closing the housing to be certain NOTHING is stuck in the seal whether it be a strand of hair or a bit of sand etc. Seems the G1x is a very good option but with less than stellar macro capabilities.

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:22 AM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best waterproof point and shoot?

Thank you,

Anybody heard anything on the Nikon CoolPix AW100, it's what seems to keep coming up in my research.

I'm not going to be diving with the camera, if I ever do need to do some work with diving I will probably rent a housng for my dSLR. But this would be more for things like Rafting and possible snorkling.

Andy

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:24 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best waterproof point and shoot?

I like the Panasonic Ts cameras. You might be better off with something like a 4/3's or similar camera with a housing though if you are after real nice image quality. Go Pro's are great for adventure stuff also and go very deep for diving. I've used my Panasonic ts2 for several cruise/snorkeling trips and it has worked well. They are in version 4 I believe now. I think the imaging resource site has done a comparison not too long ago.

Apr 21, 2013 at 09:36 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best waterproof point and shoot?

JohnBrose wrote:
I like the Panasonic Ts cameras. You might be better off with something like a 4/3's or similar camera with a housing though if you are after real nice image quality. Go Pro's are great for adventure stuff also and go very deep for diving. I've used my Panasonic ts2 for several cruise/snorkeling trips and it has worked well. They are in version 4 I believe now. I think the imaging resource site has done a comparison not too long ago.

I actually have a GoPro3 which I will be using with a headmount for some action footage. But I still want something to be able to compose a shot for when I'm not in action. The GoPro takes great footage, but I'm still not overly impressed with the picture quality.

I'll definitely check out the Panasonic Ts series, as well as a 4/3s with housing. Thanks for the tips.

Andy

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

akriegsfeld
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best waterproof point and shoot?

These were all taken with the Canon D10

http://www.alankphotography.com/Photography/Galapagos-Island-Trip-11132009/10546453_JGWWzp#!i=732496153&k=ZZD8hpN

http://www.alankphotography.com/Photography/Galapagos-Island-Trip-11132009/10546453_JGWWzp#!i=732496328&k=cqbVdRS

http://www.alankphotography.com/Photography/Galapagos-Island-Trip-11132009/10546453_JGWWzp#!i=732496441&k=jdtDXSP

http://www.alankphotography.com/Photography/Galapagos-Island-Trip-
11132009/10546453_JGWWzp#!i=732496581&k=WPtwSZN

http://www.alankphotography.com/Photography/Galapagos-Island-Trip-11132009/10546453_JGWWzp#!i=732496723&k=Lthdwvp

Alan

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:54 PM
lou f
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best waterproof point and shoot?

PeakPhoto wrote:
Thank you,

Anybody heard anything on the Nikon CoolPix AW100, it's what seems to keep coming up in my research.

I'm not going to be diving with the camera, if I ever do need to do some work with diving I will probably rent a housng for my dSLR. But this would be more for things like Rafting and possible snorkling.

Andy

my brother has one, works great even in dim pools. more light it gets better.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best waterproof point and shoot?

OP,

I have the AW100. I bought it for the ruggedness and waterproofing. With much the same goals as you mention. Not for diving, but for situations where things might get thoroughly wet & very cold.

And I find it an excellent little camera. Fits in my larger hands well, easy to hold onto and click. Fast to start up and takes good photos. It's easy to change to its macro mode, use the zoom and turn the flash on & off. Mine has never been "taken under water" but it has gotten totally soaked more than once in heavy rains. And it both survived and continued to work just fine.

On the negative: There are way too many consumer level "settings" to try and mess with. And I have never even thought about trying to mess with manual settings with it. I just picked a general setting, let it take the largest jpg that it can.

For me it's a top little camera. It meets the requirements of surviving in my pocket (both rougher treatment and possibly getting wet), surviving getting totally soaked, taking photos when totally wet, giving a quick start up times & then getting good images.

hth

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best waterproof point and shoot?

Thanks everyone for the help. I just put the order in for the Nikon AW110 based on the last two comments. The fact that I was able to get it used for $200 from a reputable Amazon dealer (brand new camera with open box) was the icing on the cake to make me go with it.

The other option I was considering was the Olympus Tough, but because it cost twice as much and the fact that I had an old Olympus Tough that became waterlogged after a few days rafting was the reason against it.

Cheers!

Andy

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password