Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

This information could be useful to people who are looking to buy old style black leatherette cases for Canon lenses, such as LH-D12 for 85L or LH-D23 for 80-200L.

I have been looking for an LH-D12 case for a long time since they have become very hard to find in any condition.
Finally, a saw one case on the B&H used gear page, ordered it, and the case was delivered today.

When I peeled the B&H price/ID sticker off the case lid, it came off easy enough, but it took with it the finish of the case, which was kind of dissolved by the sticker adhesive, and bonded to the sticker. Now the darn case looks ugly.

As I suspect this is the standard B&H tagging practice with those cases (and who knows what else ?), I figure you will probably get the same thing if you were to order an LH-D case from the B&H used gear dept.

It would be helpful if B&H were to change that destructive sticker practice, and adopt one of smart methods used by KEH on similar hardware.

Edited on Apr 28, 2013 at 07:41 PM · View previous versions

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:59 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

That can be fixed in PS...

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:14 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

Peter, are those the old cases like from the FD lens days, red felt/velvet interior, if so I have a few that I don't use, drawstring pouches are easier for me to manage. Think my 200 f2.8, 200 f4 mac and/or 300 f4 have them as do several wide angles and 2x T/Cs.

That case you posted looks in pretty good shape, perhaps a black sharpie will help with the ouchie

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:14 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

Jerry, yes, the LH-D cases do have a red felt liner inside. I like them as they offer very good lens protection in storage/shipping, although they are quite bulky and not practical to stuff into a shoulder bag or a backpack.

That particular case is earmarked for a 50 f/1.0 lens. Now, when you ask buyers to pay $4,000 for the lens, hood and case included, they become suprisingly sensitive and fussy when it comes to the cosmetic condition of all items supplied.

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:37 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

PetKal wrote:
Jerry, yes, the LH-D cases do have a red felt liner inside. I like them as they offer very good lens protection in storage/shipping, although they are quite bulky and not practical to stuff into a shoulder bag or a backpack.

That particular case is earmarked for a 50 f/1.0 lens. Now, when you ask buyers to pay $4,000 for the lens, hood and case included, they become suprisingly sensitive and fussy when it comes to the cosmetic condition of all items supplied.

Stickers just suck then, dumbarses
4K and a flocked up case, I might be upset a tad...
I'll check my stock, PM you item numbers/measurements, if you can use them...well you know the rest

I've a Tamron SP Adaptall2 500 f8 Mirror from back in the dayz, has a sweet black hardcase with same red interior. Was going to let it go but a 'roboticspro' turned me on to an Adaptall2 to EF mount, it fits fine but I've not shot with it yet. Out of focus donuts or not, it was a fun bit of glass; as are a few other A2's. Should prove interesting mounting that little beast on a FF body

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:52 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #6 · Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

Now if you call B&H they might tell you, "why do you think we put the sticker there - to cover the bare spot. "

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

StillFingerz wrote:
I'll check my stock, PM you item numbers/measurements, if you can use them...well you know the rest

Thanx Jerry. I've looked into that......the only case which might approximate LH-D12 is the one for FD 85L, however, I don't know what type of a case was supplied with that one back then.

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:16 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #8 · Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

Peter, I wouldn't do the black marker due to the funny shine it gets. I would pick up a bottle of black leather dye and touch up the area, if the blacks don't match, then lightly cover the entire thing. Let it set for a few days to dry really well. Then go over it with a good leather conditioner to remove any excess. Let that dry and buff with a soft cloth. I have done this on high quality leather and I am not quite sure what that leatherette is made of. If you have one that is beyond saving you might give it a trial run to see how it fares first.

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:01 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

Better hope they don't put one of those stickers on a 50/1.0 if they sell one complete with box. It could render the lens worthless

Peter I have the case for my pipe in the loft , the vinyl is comming off the main body of the case (previous owner has used a crap blue tap on the seam ) but the lid is still good. Your welcome to have it if you can replace the lid on yours . I'll do a straight trade for your MDP2

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:42 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

PCKit wrote:
Peter, I wouldn't do the black marker due to the funny shine it gets. I would pick up a bottle of black leather dye and touch up the area, if the blacks don't match, then lightly cover the entire thing. Let it set for a few days to dry really well. Then go over it with a good leather conditioner to remove any excess. Let that dry and buff with a soft cloth. I have done this on high quality leather and I am not quite sure what that leatherette is made of. If you have one that is beyond
...Show more

A very good idea, Kathy, thank you.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Better hope they don't put one of those stickers on a 50/1.0 if they sell one complete with box. It could render the lens worthless

Peter I have the case for my pipe in the loft , the vinyl is comming off the main body of the case (previous owner has used a crap blue tap on the seam ) but the lid is still good. Your welcome to have it if you can replace the lid on yours . I'll do a straight trade for your MDP2

Thank you Ian, but I do not think that lid swap can be done easily, as the lids are fastened to the case bottom by 3 rivets.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Buying old (used) LH-D lens cases from B&H

PetKal wrote:
Thank you Ian, but I do not think that lid swap can be done easily, as the lids are fastened to the case bottom by 3 rivets.

Dang! I was all set to recieve your MDP2

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password