New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 300 F4 problem

astrodave
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 300 F4 problem

My Canon 300 F4L (IS) lens has developed a problem recently. Its as if the camera body continually connects and loses connection to the lens. (See the attached video)

http://smu.gs/15gRnFk

Disabling/enabling IS, AF/MF, IS mode, AF distance...nothing works. It will work normally for a few minutes and then start the behavior above. I've also cleaned the contacts with no luck.

If I point the lens up, it stops. Half-pressing the shutter button will cause it to start again.

Other lenses attached to this body don't seem to have the problem.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks!

-David

Apr 17, 2013 at 09:55 PM
Depp
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 300 F4 problem

First, are you using all the focus points or just one focus point?

If you select the centre point and focus on close object, then on far object, does it work?

Second, Have you done a hard reset on the camera by removing both batteries?

Third, the flexfoil may be cracking and when it finally breaks the focus will no long work...if this is the problem, time for Canon will install a new flex PCB.

What to Do When Your Lens Quits

Apr 18, 2013 at 06:03 AM
astrodave
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 300 F4 problem

Thanks for the reply.

1. I currently have the center focus point selected, but the connect/disconnect behavior will happen even while it it just sitting there...just starts up.

2. Yes...same problem

3. A loose or bad connection inside the lens seems likely...I've contacted Canon service.

-David

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:35 AM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 300 F4 problem

Yes, I also believe your problem is most likely due to a bad connection inside the lens. My 300mm f/4.0 IS lens is at Canon right now for that exact same repair.

Initial quote is the standard $260, minus any CPS discount, plus tax.

Jim

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM
astrodave
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 300 F4 problem

Jim,

Thanks for the info. Were you having similar symptoms? Did they give you any ETA on turnaround time? Hope your repair goes smoothly.

-David

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:10 PM
astrodave
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 300 F4 problem

For anyone who is interested, I did get my 300 f/4L back. Canon wasn't very specific on what was wrong, but indicated that the IS lens assembly was not functioning correctly and the autofocus was not working correctly. They indicated some 'electrical' repairs and adjustments made.

Before I sent the lens for repair, there was a slight clunk noise when moving the lens from horizontal to vertical...now, that's gone. I suspect something was loose inside and caused some kind of disconnect or misalignment.

Repair was $269 + tax and shipping and took about a week and a half to get it back.

Optics nicely cleaned and works great now.

Jun 21, 2013 at 01:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.