Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Baseball

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Baseball

One I liked from my son's Tball game tonight.

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:38 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Baseball

Nice shot, I like the colours, the sun is low to bring out the texture in the gravel and the players in the BG really add to it

You did well to get this close during a game!

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:30 AM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Baseball

Oooh, the processing on this feels different from your normal, and I looove the tones and feel. Maybe it's just that I don't see a lot of color from you, but this is fantastic.

--David

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:36 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Baseball

scottam10 wrote:
You did well to get this close during a game!

I have to shoot from behind the fence!

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM
benee
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Baseball

The light is really, really nice and a great job capturing his pose. This is an excellent, intimate capture considering how hard it is to get up close to kids on the field.

The shallow DOF makes it feel as is he is jumping out of the frame. Focus is off just a tiny bit, but that's minor.

Can I ask what lens?

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Baseball

That's terrific.

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:41 PM
charlandk
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Baseball

Love it. Awesome shot. It has a 3D feel to it.

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:42 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Baseball

Thanks guys! I've all but abandoned the ultra shallow DOF look in my photography. I'm much more interested in creating images with meaningful context and multiple elements. I'm probably overthinking things a bit, but hey, thats how i'm shooting these days!

A few things about this shot. You guys mentioned the challenges about getting close during a game. Well, this is Tball and I'm the head coach...of two teams in the league. So I can sorta 'do what i want'. My son was playing first base and I was stationed over that way. I'm just outside the field of play. I took a few shots from a crouched position. I didnt like them. I then lowered my camera down and shot blind. I nailed focus on a few at f/2.0 (luckily). So then I opened up to f/1.4 and took this one. As mentioned, its a bit off focus (from his eye), but acceptable for my use.

Lens was the 35L on a 5D3.

Thanks again guys!

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:47 PM
benee
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Baseball

canerino wrote:
Thanks guys! I've all but abandoned the ultra shallow DOF look in my photography. I'm much more interested in creating images with meaningful context and multiple elements. I'm probably overthinking things a bit, but hey, thats how i'm shooting these days!
!

I think the wide angle makes this one a little different. Often, sports images are shot with a telephoto, so you don't get ANY context. Yes, this shot is shallow, but the wider angle and background gives a little more context and different perspective.

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:13 PM

canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Baseball

neighbourboy wrote:
Oooh, the processing on this feels different from your normal, and I looove the tones and feel. Maybe it's just that I don't see a lot of color from you, but this is fantastic.

--David

thanks buddy! I played with some VSCO recipes and tweaked it. Pretty happy with the result (although I dont think i could reproduce it )

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:36 PM
pedpole
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Baseball

Nice shot!

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
RolfJ
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Baseball

Wonderful light and subject. Hang this on the wall!!!

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM
sleepy717

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Baseball

I like it; every time I go away and look at it again, I like it more.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Baseball

RE colour Vs B&W
- I like that you kept this one in colour. In B&W you'd retain the texture but the players in the BG would blend in a lot more

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:32 AM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Baseball

Nice perspective and processing Chuck

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Vince Muehe

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Baseball

This is a perfect example of great youth sports photography, in my opinion. Parents don't necessarily need to have the great action play, but they do want to see their child's face, in the natural state of play. It doesn't matter if the ball is in the photo. The athlete seem unaware the camera is there. He probably looks like that on 1st base a lot. It's a great photo, nice angle, wonderful light and color.

I think this is superb!

Apr 21, 2013 at 01:14 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Baseball

Many thanks! I actually just printed this fairly big and hung it in my office

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:31 PM
goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Baseball

this is really nice. great processing, great light, great perspective. basically what everybody else said.

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:07 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password