Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · B&H offering to buy used equipment with online value ...

crteach
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B&H offering to buy used equipment with online value estimator

Hope it's ok to pass this on and that this is the right place to put the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/trade-in.jsp

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B&H offering to buy used equipment with online value estimator

It's kind of quirky (see below) but that's OK, so am I.

OTOH, it doesn't offer what I would consider to be a reasonable return. The quoted prices for my 500/4L IS [rating 4] and 50/1.2L [5] are about 42% of what I would expect to get on eBay. I assume I would also have to pay for shipping to B&H, whereas the buyer would pay on eBay.

WRT quirky: with Canon in the 'brand' dialogue box, when I enter "EF 50" in the 'model' dialogue box, it shows only three lenses. OTOH, when I enter "50", it shows 12 options, 10 of which are EF lenses. As far as apps goes, it looks good but could use some work. As far as prices go, I'll look elsewhere. Of course, the prices that you get for selling used gear to a reseller, like B&H, KEH, and etc. have not changed - it's just been made much more easy to find those prices.

[edit - math booboo]

Edited on Apr 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B&H offering to buy used equipment with online value estimator

don't know about BH, but Adorama pays for shipping both ways, in the event that you don't like their quote

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B&H offering to buy used equipment with online value estimator

I think the take-away is the 42% return vs. eBay. Call it 35% after eBay and PayPal fees.

OTOH, if you don't want to play the auction or Buy It Now games, then B&H (and KEH) would be worth a shot.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B&H offering to buy used equipment with online value estimator

I would think one would have to be hard pressed to sell at B&H. Even after ebay and paypal cuts are taken into consideration, they are still a much better option. Better yet, FM forums are the best for buy/sell.

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:37 AM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B&H offering to buy used equipment with online value estimator

Well, like all of these buying services, they have to price it so that they can re-sell the equipment. Of course it's not going to provide you anywhere near the retail market price.

You're taking a big cut in the name of convenience, a rapid sale, and a guaranteed safe buyer.

No different from those cell phone buy-back programs or anything else: you are always, always going to profit more making a direct sale on the used market. If you don't want to hassle, though, it's a quick way to unload gear without any headaches. I can't imagine eating that extra money just for a little convenience, but some people will.

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:10 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · B&H offering to buy used equipment with online value estimator

well, when I factor in my hourly rate for private work over against the time it takes me to post the ad, post the pics, respond to the Q's: does it have a shutter button? are your the 18th owner? are you sure you can't take a 20% reduction in price? I'm from Nigeria, and my great grandmother's nieces' second cousin three times removed just met Obama at the local food market. Shouldn't I get a price break? What's that speck on the lens? Looks like it's deeply embedded. How about a payment plan?

KEH is painless. Ship it out on their dime after getting a ball park quote from their on-line service. within two days I get confirmation of the price they're will to pay, and on one occasion they gave me more than I expected. check arrives in 3 days. No fuss, no muss, no bother. YMMV

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · B&H offering to buy used equipment with online value estimator

anthonysemone wrote:
KEH is painless. Ship it out on their dime after getting a ball park quote from their on-line service. within two days I get confirmation of the price they're will to pay, and on one occasion they gave me more than I expected. check arrives in 3 days. No fuss, no muss, no bother. YMMV

No doubt about it.

Same way that some people will work on their cars to save a few bucks, while others decide that time is more valuable and have the mechanic do it.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password