New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hot shoe repair

MRM4
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hot shoe repair

I ran across someone with a good price on a high shutter count D700 I was looking at for a backup. The problem with the camera is the hot shoe is missing. If I understand correctly, the flash got stuck on the hot shoe and he removed it hot shoe and all.

I know these can be sent to Nikon for repair/replacement. But based off the prices I've seen for this, it kind of kills how good of a deal the camera is. I basically have a two-part question. Are there any videos/links that show how a person could replace this on their own? Or is there a place or person out there that can perform this repair that is reputable and doesn't charge what Nikon does? The part itself isn't that expensive.

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:16 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hot shoe repair

Authorized Photo Service (APS) in Chicago seems to have 1,000x better reputation than Nikon's service centers in Melville and El Segundo.
http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

Ex.-
My SB-900 stopped swiveling to the side. I called up APS and, after waiting about 60 seconds, was able to talk to a LIVE PERSON who gave me an intelligent answer as to what I would have to pay to have it repaired. Going through Nikon would likely have meant 15 minutes of hold/transfers to find out, "We have no idea how much it'll cost. Mail it in."

Also- the ONE problem area that D700's seem to have is that the hotshoe stops working w/ an SB-900 or SB-910. The solution is generally to have the hotshoe replaced at $250.

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:07 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hot shoe repair

I've had the hot shoe replaced on both of my D700. The older one had it replaced three times and the new one once. All four times it ran between $265-$275.00. Two repairs were done at Melville and two were done at APS in Chicago. It seems that the SB800, SB900, and SB910 are all too heavy for the D300, 300s and D700 and after lots of use the weight of those flashes tends to torque the hot shoe and they have to be replaced by taking the camera apart. The repair can not be done externally or so I was told by APS in Chicago.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:01 AM
OO7MIKE
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hot shoe repair

Nikon_14 wrote:
Authorized Photo Service (APS) in Chicago seems to have 1,000x better reputation than Nikon's service centers in Melville and El Segundo.
http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

+2

I've used their service twice and the price is good, the turn around time is great, and the repair quality is excellent. Customer service is also excellent. I never felt like I was a number and had been forgotten.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hot shoe repair

I avoid using the SB900 on my cameras. Only the D800 sees its use regularly. D700 and others see only the SB-600.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hot shoe repair

runamuck wrote:
I avoid using the SB900 on my cameras.

That's a viable strategy when a 24-70mm lens is mounted to capture images at close to medium distances.

But w/ a 70-200mm mounted to capture candid closeups from far away (200mm) inside a low-light environment, neither the SB-600 nor the SB-700 will have the range to light the subject.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hot shoe repair

No such thing as a "good deal" on a trashed camera.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:50 PM
shmn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hot shoe repair

Zebrabot wrote:
No such thing as a "good deal" on a trashed camera.

Reminds me of one my favorite quotes...nothing is more expensive than free.

Apr 19, 2013 at 07:43 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hot shoe repair

I mostly use a flash bracket for the SB800 and D300 combination.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.