Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Resizing for printing

sources

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Resizing for printing

I have a digital photo that measures 30" high X 70" wide. It is a group photo, so cropping the width is not possible. I can crop the height down to 18" if necessary. The problem is the space in which the group wants to mount the photo is about 30-some inches wide.

What is the best way to do that?

Many thanks!

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:15 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Resizing for printing

what do you mean you have a digital photo 30x70 ? An actual paper print or are you looking at some numbers in a photo editor and seeing that 'at x resolution, the image would be 30x70' ??

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:48 PM
sources

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Resizing for printing

Ah. Good question. I am looking at it on my monitor and the ACDSee editor is giving me these numbers at 72 pixels per inch. In pixels it is telling me the image dimensions are: 4569 x 1340.

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:57 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Resizing for printing

Change resolution to 300 and see what it gives for a size.

Apr 17, 2013 at 08:49 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Resizing for printing

yup, the 72 dpi is the resolution of the screen. you'll want 200-300 for printing.

Apr 17, 2013 at 08:55 PM
sources

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Resizing for printing

Thanks, guys. That did it. Now a follow-on question. Changing the resolution to 300 brought it to 15" wide. I'd like to get it at about 30" wide. That gives me a ppi of 120. Is that too coarse for a photo of that size. I know that the larger the photo the fewer pixels is required, counter-intuitively. But is 120 ppi for a print 30" x 13" workable?

thanks, again!

Apr 17, 2013 at 09:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Resizing for printing

do you have Photoshop? it'll up-rez or you can use Genuine Fractals.

120 is fairly low but it all depends on how you're presenting it and how close people will stand to the print. if you or the viewer is going to put their nose up to it, it'll suck. You can print out a fragment of the image at the stated size/resolution and see how it looks

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Resizing for printing

sources wrote:
Thanks, guys. That did it. Now a follow-on question. Changing the resolution to 300 brought it to 15" wide. I'd like to get it at about 30" wide. That gives me a ppi of 120. Is that too coarse for a photo of that size. I know that the larger the photo the fewer pixels is required, counter-intuitively. But is 120 ppi for a print 30" x 13" workable?

If it is 15 inches at 300 ppi, then it would be 150 ppi for 30 inches. If you want see how it will print, take a smaller section at 150 ppi and have it printed on 8 x 10 inches - I take it from your questions that you are not printing it yourself?

Brian A

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:01 AM
sources

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Resizing for printing

What terrific help! I can print up to 8 x 12, so this will have to go to a printer. I will take these suggestions and try them out.

Thank you all very much!
Jack Schultz,
Boston, MA

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:48 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Resizing for printing

sources wrote:
Ah. Good question. I am looking at it on my monitor and the ACDSee editor is giving me these numbers at 72 pixels per inch. In pixels it is telling me the image dimensions are: 4569 x 1340.

OK you have 4596x1340 pixels to work with. If you open that image in Photoshop. Then use menu Image>Image Size. Then in the image size dialog you would un-check Resample check box in the lower control section. The image will not be resample you will retain these pixels. Next when you set the print width to 30" in the center print section. You will see Photoshop set the print height to 8.798" and set the Print resolution to 152.3 DPI. Normally when you print small images you want to print them at a resolution around 300DPI. However a 30" wide image will not be view at close range except when your look for a particular person. So printing this image at 152.3 DPI with out resampling the pixel count up may produce a quite acceptable quality print. Make a test print. If you need a better print you may want to try resampling the 30" 152.3 DIP image up to 200DPI resolution. Resampling it up to 300 DPI would require Photoshop to increase the pixel count 4 fold which will most likely just produce the same soft image.

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:03 AM
sources

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Resizing for printing

Mr. Mouse,
This is terrific. Very helpful. I was looking at PS and wondering how I might use it to make the adjustments. You have just shown me how to do it. Many thanks.

One more reason I love this site and this forum. People are friendly and generous with their time and ideas.

Jack Schultz

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:36 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password