Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

Megan and Nate were married last September, but weren't really happy with their wedding portraits by another photographer. So we got together in downtown Chicago on Sunday and created some new images for them that can hopefully grace their walls.

I posted this in the People forum as well, excuse the dupiness.

Comments welcome.

Thanks, Ron

1. At the Chicago Cultural Center

2. At the Chicago Cultural Center. I was wanting to move them to my right for this shot, but was shooting at a really slow shutter speed on a tripod, and a CCC employer busted me on using a tripod, which apparently is illegal there.

3. Chicago Cultural Center, GAR Dome. Probably still need to work on the color processing on the couple.

4. La Salle Street bridge over the Chicago River.

5. La Salle Street bridge over the Chicago River

6. Standing on the La Salle Street bridge.

7. Same shot, but with me on the street, dodging speeding taxis, with 14-24.

8. Next to the planetarium.

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:03 PM
CraigB1960

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

Very nice, I am sure they will enjoy these.

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:27 PM
U-taker
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

I'd have to say 5 is my favorite - for the light, pose and lines. Beautiful

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:28 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

neat...love 6 and hope they are safe there..

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:34 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

friscoron wrote:
a CCC employer busted me on using a tripod, which apparently is illegal there.

8. Next to the planetarium.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8122/8656395661_fca309da37_c.jpg

This is one of the good things about a D7100, D7k, D600 w/ a small prime (35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8)- less cause for bored employees to put down this week's National Enquirer to bother you.

#8 would be my fav, though I agree that #5 is rather nice. Dodging taxis makes clients appreciate you more!

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:34 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

Thanks, everyone! 5 and 6 are among my faves as well.

@CMB, they are pretty safe. They're on the lowest part of the bridge, about four feet up, maybe five. I was sitting on the same part, across from them. Amazing how many brides are willing to go up there in their wedding dress, though they usually have quite a party hoisting them up.

@Nikon_14, not sure about your comments regarding the camera and lens. Didn't use either of those. Shot with a D4 and 24-70, plus a pair of Einsteins and a speedlight on the groom's back.

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

friscoron wrote:
@Nikon_14, not sure about your comments regarding the camera and lens. Didn't use either of those. Shot with a D4 and 24-70, plus a pair of Einsteins and a speedlight on the groom's back.

What I meant to write was that a smaller body & lens, to a bored hotel employee, means "Just another tourist. I can go back to reading about Kim K's pregnancy while snacking on my donut".

But a pro body, big lens + pro lighting = "Wow, something for me to do. Let me go over & harass that 'overpriced' professional. When I mention the $200 permit, he'll probably slip me $20 because, after all, they have such an enormous profit margin."

Apr 17, 2013 at 04:36 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

Beautiful. They will be over the moon with these images.

Apr 17, 2013 at 05:05 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

just my 2 cents......

Dump the first 3. They look like snap shoots.

#4 I like - nice processing. but I would place the vertical column on the right 1/3 of the frame.
Your couple now on the outside of this near the edge of the frame.
#5 I like but i would enjoy more if you move the couple to the left or the frame to the right.
#6 is cool but the buildings are swaying in the breeze ... i know - windy city. just bugs.
#7 I like. not sure of the dodging taxi and the ability to adjust. cool that you got the shot.
#8 i like but what happens if you drop the camera height lower?

The overall theme is to move the couple out of the center.

4-8 like nice - decent processing.

just my 2 cents

-Mark

Apr 17, 2013 at 05:07 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

Ziffl3 wrote:
just my 2 cents......

#4 I like - nice processing. but I would place the vertical column on the right 1/3 of the frame.
#5 I like but i would enjoy more if you move the couple to the left or the frame to the right.
#6 is cool but the buildings are swaying in the breeze ... i know - windy city. just bugs.
#7 I like. not sure of the dodging taxi and the ability to adjust. cool that you got
...Show more

agree with this almost exactly except #6 which I have no idea what you're talking about

Apr 17, 2013 at 05:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

sorry Jeff.
let me clarify: #6 the buildings are leaning. it is a nit pick.

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

Ziffl3 wrote:
sorry Jeff.
let me clarify: #6 the buildings are leaning. it is a nit pick.

haha, gotcha.

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:43 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

I agree that the first 3 are the weakest, but the rest look great. Really like 4

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:15 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

Nikon_14 wrote:
What I meant to write was that a smaller body & lens, to a bored hotel employee, means "Just another tourist. I can go back to reading about Kim K's pregnancy while snacking on my donut".

But a pro body, big lens + pro lighting = "Wow, something for me to do. Let me go over & harass that 'overpriced' professional. When I mention the $200 permit, he'll probably slip me $20 because, after all, they have such an enormous profit margin."

Ah, yeah, makes sense now. I'm loopy, haven't slept more than 5 hours in any night the last week and a half.

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:48 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

Ziffl3 wrote:
just my 2 cents......
#7 I like. not sure of the dodging taxi and the ability to adjust. cool that you got
...Show more

Thanks, Mark, I appreciate the feedback on the individual shots. I actually brought in the Leaning Tower of Piza for shot No. 6. :-) In other words, not sure how I missed that other than it was way past midnight -- thanks for pointing that out.

As for 5, I may the usual mistake of not cropping to the picture. I left it in its usual 2x3 aspect ratio. I will crop this one to 4x5 and crop out the beam to the left.

Again, appreciate it. Ron

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:57 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

Thanks, Chris, Jeff and Joel. Really appreciate it!!!

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:57 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

you've got some great images here that I think will def. end up on their walls great job Ron

Apr 17, 2013 at 08:03 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

The first 3 are pretty meh, but 4-8 are really great.

My only real C&C:

#6, could use some vertical perspective correction. Leaning buildings are a huge peeve of mine.
#7, would be purrrrrrfect if you clone out that contrail going right down the middle.
#8, I wish you'd aimed the light to start a lot closer to their feet, lighting that 6 feet of concrete to their right is pretty distracting. Other than that it's just beautiful.

Great work. They'll be in awe of your talents.

Apr 17, 2013 at 09:47 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

thanks, Sheri!

thanks, James! Yep, missed the leaning bldg, will fix that. At first I was okay with the contrail, now I'm thinking I will clone it out. I already worked some of the light out of the ground to their left, but now that you've mentioned it, I see I need to work on the area to their right, next to the water. Thought my 30-degree grids would keep the light off the ground, probably should've went with 10 degrees.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wedding Portraits -- 7 months later

LOVE 4 and 6!

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:00 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password