Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · #549 Wind Power

aeronaut

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #549 Wind Power

I think this mighty windmill might be able to power the whole planet

This little planet was stitched together from 44 photos taken at a local historical park, using a custom built panoramic head.

Thanks for looking, and good luck to everyone this week!

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x455/aeronaut9k/Strathearn_Little_Planet_640_zpsf1c0af1c.jpg

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:20 AM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #549 Wind Power

Cool!

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:07 AM
SteveF
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #549 Wind Power

Very fun shot - like it!

Apr 23, 2013 at 08:29 PM
Eco_3

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #549 Wind Power

I've read about this type of stitch-what exactly is it/how can it be done? Sorry for the total newb question!

Apr 27, 2013 at 09:53 PM
aeronaut

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #549 Wind Power

Thanks, guys!

No worries. I'm not a master of this either, but I do have fun playing around with them.

This is called a stereographic projection, and when it is done this way, sometimes people call it a "little planet".

You start by taking a series of shots from a single location, with the camera pointing in all different directions (making sure to get a good bit of overlap between adjacent shots). So, you basically end up rotating all the way around, 360 degrees, a few times. With my 24mm lens, I usually end up having to do at least 3 rotations: one with the camera pointed toward the ground (maybe 45-60 degrees down), one pointed roughly straight out, and one pointed up to catch the tops of everything around me and the sky above it. It ends up being a total of maybe 45-48 shots.

Then, you stitch them all together using some piece of software. I'm sure there are many that can do it, but the one I use is called Hugin. I think it works quite well, and it's free.

Having a panoramic head on your tripod really helps the stitching software get everything put together correctly by allowing you to make sure your camera is rotating about an axis that goes through the entrance pupil of your lens, which minimizes parallax error.

Apr 28, 2013 at 02:41 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.