Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D3 Buffer Upgrade - Common ? or not so much?

John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · D3 Buffer Upgrade - Common ? or not so much?

I'm wrestling between D3 - D3s bodies presently and came across the discontinued buffer upgrade service Nikon offered for the D3.

Is this a common feature shooters bought into? Or is it the case where you'd be lucky to find one that the upgrade was applied to?

The differences between buffered shots is HUGE.

Apr 17, 2013 at 02:48 AM
Derek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · D3 Buffer Upgrade - Common ? or not so much?

I don't think many bought into it, IMHO you'd be better offer buying a used D3S, better Camera allround

Apr 17, 2013 at 08:31 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · D3 Buffer Upgrade - Common ? or not so much?

Obscure and availabl into the mature life of the D3. I remember toying with the ideaTHD the $500 upgrade but, probably like so many others, waited to put the money towards a D3s.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #4 · D3 Buffer Upgrade - Common ? or not so much?

De D3s is a much better choice.

I copied this from Mansurovs website.
D3s can shoot ISO 200-12,800 in native mode and ISO 25,600 (H1), ISO 51,200 (H2) and ISO 102,400 (H3) in “boost” mode (D3 is 200-6,400 with ISOs 12,800 and 25,600 in boost mode).
The Nikon D3s now features an “image sensor cleaning” technology just like in other lower-end cameras such as the D300s and D700 that vibrates the low pass filter and reduces dust on the sensor, without impacting the 100% coverage of the viewfinder.
A new 1.2x crop factor @ 8.4 megapixels is added for a “telephoto” effect for those who need the extra reach.
D3s can shoot 720p video (1280 x 720 @ 24 fps). The “rolling shutter” effect is greatly reduced, thanks to a new video recording algorithm in D3s.
D3s sports a much larger buffer that can continuously record up to 48 RAW images and up to 130 JPEG images.
A couple of new white balance and image parameters are added into the menu.
A new release mode “Q” (quiet shutter-release) is added, just like in D300s.
D3s is slightly lighter than the D3 (2.12 lb vs 2.7 lb).

You can read the article here

Apr 17, 2013 at 05:32 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · D3 Buffer Upgrade - Common ? or not so much?

The buffer upgrade is not a very common thing. You won't find many used camera's with the upgrade. If you need the buffer, you better buy a used D3s, still among the best available (and you get better ISO performance and video on top of it). On the other hand, I've never really felt limited when I used the D3, and I don't really understand people who need such incredible buffers (to shoot hundred pictures in a row in less than a minute and expecting there is a good one somewhere in the middle).

Apr 17, 2013 at 05:47 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · D3 Buffer Upgrade - Common ? or not so much?

Extra reach = the camera crops it for you. There are no extra pixels per duck. My definition of extra reach involves getting more pixels per duck from the same shooting position, such as using a 12Mpx DX sensor instead of a 12Mpx FX sensor.

If you use middle and high ISO then the D3s is noticeably better than the D3 / D700, giving about a stop or more of usable extra DR at the dark end of the scale for any of those ISOs.

Apr 17, 2013 at 05:57 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password