Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

stan23
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

All the sample shots i've seen have been stunning!

How is the 24mm end wide open?

Apr 17, 2013 at 05:51 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.2 #2 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

I hope it lives up. I just ordered one. My 24-70 has been very sharp, sent it in twice to get it calibrated, so I look forward. Will sell my 24-70 so someone will get a nice sharp copy. The one thing I like about the version I have is the lens hood that is on the main barrel so when you bump it, the zooming function is not stressed, This is very important when doing a lot of field work.

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:02 PM
stan23
• • •
p.2 #3 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

jamato8 wrote:
I hope it lives up. I just ordered one. My 24-70 has been very sharp, sent it in twice to get it calibrated, so I look forward. Will sell my 24-70 so someone will get a nice sharp copy. The one thing I like about the version I have is the lens hood that is on the main barrel so when you bump it, the zooming function is not stressed, This is very important when doing a lot of field work.

May I ask where you ordered from?

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:42 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.2 #4 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

stan23 wrote:

B&H. I missed the good deal with Adorama. I use both Adorama and B&H but is less expensive right now and the shipping to Alaska for next day is better than Adorama 2 day. I normally don't use next day due to the cost but B&H isn't bad at all. Not like years ago when they would all really rip you on shipping until people said enough.

Anyway, looking forward to this.

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:53 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #5 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

stan23 wrote:

I think they mean the 24-70 I

Apr 17, 2013 at 09:15 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

stan23 wrote:
I find that i'm not impressed with my 50L wide open. Even stopped down, the lens just doesn't give me the same look and performance as my 85L. Been thinking of just selling it and getting the 24-70 MKII--since I have a bit more use for that than the 50L. I had the first version of the 24-70, and it was one of my main go-to lenses. I would not hesitate to buy another, but I hear the MKII is a lot better.

Any regrets from current MKII owners?

No, it's really good for a 24-70 type lens. The 24-105 always left me disappointed.

It's strongest points are probably 24-40mm edge to edge performance (complete match to the far edges to the 24 1.4 II prime and with less LoCA/PF) and 40-70mm center frame wide open performance (a top copy is really pretty sharp f/2.8 center frame perhaps hitting max performance there already by f/3.2) and even a copy that is on the poorer side of wide open performance is still as good at f/2.8 as the 70-200 f/4 IS at 70mm f/4 (granted the weakest spot fot eh 70-200 f/4 IS)).

The simple old 50 1.4 is sharper corner to corner though at 50mm (maybe not in the center any but better at the far edges and corners).

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.2 #7 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

Love every millimeter!

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

Whoa, that is one hell of a Pokémon paintjob. The Japanese are nuts, in a good way.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

dehowie wrote:
Love every millimeter!

A superb shot....love it.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:53 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.2 #10 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

Does the lines come preloaded with great images?

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ransome
• •
p.2 #11 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

myron lee wrote:
I upgraded to the 24-70ii. I am very happy with it even though its a big chunk of change to upgrade. What I like best about the ii is that it is a lot sharper at the edges and corners. So if I composed my subject off center and shoot at f2.8, I get a very nice subject separation from the background just because the subject is so sharp.

Get it now, there is a deal going on. I just cut and paste this from another thread.

From Adorama. Enter "S2221112" gift code at checkout. Plus you get 2% back in
...Show more

Thanks for the tip on this price. I was traveling this week, so I had them ship it to my location. Today is my first day, so I don't have too much to say, other than I do expect it to be a highly used lens.

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:06 AM
tuantran
• •
p.2 #12 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

Body doesn't feel as solid as the old version but the front of the barrel doesn't wiggle like the old version. The hood feels cheaper and doesn't work as well as the old version. It vignettes like hell but it's sharper corner to corner and has a pop to the photos like my 35mm L. If you have upgraded the 70-200mm f2.8 I to II, you'll know what I mean when I say the photos has more popness.

I feel confident at all focal lengths and apertures.

Does anyone also feel that it feels like you can shoot 1/2 to 2/3 stop faster and have similar photos as the previous version of this lens?

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:27 AM
stan23
• • •
p.2 #13 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

I'm torn.

I now have both the Sigma 35 1.4 and the Canon 24-70 II.

Both are absolutely amazing wide open. Great colors and everything just looks great! Not sure which I want to keep though! The Canon is obviously more versatile, and it's sharpness wide open is fantastic.. Seems to be just a hair sharper than my 70-200 2.8 II--which blew me away too..

However, I love the Sigma 35 wide open. It's stunning... It has a certain pop to the images that I love. Haven't been excited to shoot a fast lens wide open since my 85L.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #14 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

stan23 wrote:
I'm torn.

Both are absolutely amazing wide open. Great colors and everything just looks great! Not sure which I want to keep though! The Canon is obviously more versatile, and it's sharpness wide open is fantastic.. Seems to be just a hair sharper than my 70-200 2.8 II--which blew me away too..

However, I love the Sigma 35 wide open. It's stunning... It has a certain pop to the images that I love. Haven't been excited to shoot a fast lens wide open since my 85L.

You'll have to keep both now.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:02 AM
stan23
• • •
p.2 #15 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

Fred Miranda wrote:
You'll have to keep both now.

Ha! my wife was the one who actually suggested I keep both!

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:53 AM
ebiggs
• •
p.2 #16 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

The Canon 5D Mk III, the 70-200mm f2.8 II and the 24-70mm f2.8 II. It don't get any better than that!
My dream outfit.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:22 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

stan23 wrote:
I'm torn.

both both both

Apr 23, 2013 at 09:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #18 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

stan23 wrote:
Ha! my wife was the one who actually suggested I keep both!

Yes, my wife always comes with the same line, but in the back of our minds we know better!

Apr 23, 2013 at 09:47 PM
stan23
• • •
p.2 #19 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, my wife always comes with the same line, but in the back of our minds we know better!

Exactly! I'm treading wisely at the moment!

Apr 23, 2013 at 09:53 PM
johnkiv

p.2 #20 · How good is the 24-70 MKII?

Have the lens a week and using it hard. Things look good and focus speed is crisp. Already lost the hood I though the button lock looked good when I first saw it, but I managed to unknowingly depress it with the camera hanging on my side. Replacement not in stock and pricey. I used to have the old version hood gaffer taped in place. Not much room for tape on this version. It is smaller and lighter than v.1, which, with that big-gulp hood, was almost as long as the 70-200 2.8.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password