New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sigma 35f1.4 Nikon, Over Exposure past f4

Christian S
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 35f1.4 Nikon, Over Exposure past f4

So last week I had a VIP group shot of 5 Orthopedic Surgeons. I decided to use the new 35. I was tripping out it was totally over exposing @ f5.6. I rarely shoot this lens above f2.5, so I would not of picked this up until this shoot. I was basically wanting to use it because it was new and stopping down a bit shouldn't have hurt but it did.

I finally did a check on tri-pod in apreture mode starting at f13 on down to F4. Exposure slowly improved each stop and the histogram was perfect at f4.

Anyone with this lens come across similar issues. I was all excited with this lens because everything is perfect on it aside from this current issue. I never have active D lighting on and checked metering by comparing with my 24-70. The 35 clearly has exposure issues from F4 down. The more stopped down the worse it gets. I'm thinking it may need a trip to Sigma. Darn I thought I got past any quality control issues.

Apr 16, 2013 at 06:22 PM
ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 35f1.4 Nikon, Over Exposure past f4

Do you have any images with the exif data intact? Not to insult you but, could be that you were possibly in auto-ISO?

Apr 16, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Christian S
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 35f1.4 Nikon, Over Exposure past f4

No Auto-ISO was on. I duplicated what I did on the 35 on my 24-70 @35. It was dead on. I plan to re check again soon and post images with EXIF Data. I was just wondering if someone with the 35 could check exposure stopped past f4, 5.6 and up. Ive had some busy days lately so who knows it could be my error. It just seems odd that my 24-70 was dead on. I finished my last job with it. Now I'm just trying to qualify that the Siggy is in deed having a problem. I would love to find out that it is me doing something in error. Could it be firmware related?

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 35f1.4 Nikon, Over Exposure past f4

I don't have this problem with mine. Just tried it.

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:22 AM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 35f1.4 Nikon, Over Exposure past f4

This is consistent with the aperture mechanism being sticky. Hit the DoF preview button. See if the aperture closes quickly. Take a shot while holding DoF preview and see if it is still overexposed. Try using live view; it may stop down the lens for preview (depends on camera).

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:27 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 35f1.4 Nikon, Over Exposure past f4

Yes, sounds like a sticky aperture. It's more common with older lenses with some oil that has migrated out of the helical, but it can happen to new lenses once in a while, too. Definitely frustrating -- but also something that is usually easy enough to fix.

Apr 17, 2013 at 08:26 AM
Red G8R
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 35f1.4 Nikon, Over Exposure past f4

I experienced the same recently. I did a series of my grandchild's birth at f4.5 on the D4 and all were over exposed. This was in a bright operating room and I did use reverse bounce flash as usual. All were corrected in pp.
Like you, many of my previous shots were shot wide open and I did not notice any problems.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.