Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · fried bugs as a nutritious and tasty snack!

Ecooper

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · fried bugs as a nutritious and tasty snack!

Last month I was in Bangkok, Thailand to attend CITES CoP 16. One free afternoon (my only free afternoon) I took the skytrain out to the Chatuchak (weekend) market—the biggest weekend market in the world. This market is incredible: it is HUGE (according to Wikipedia it covers over 35 acres and contains more than 5,000 stalls); it’s CROWDED. It’s a vast labyrinth of stalls, tiny shops and carts selling absolutely everything. It’s chaotic, confusing and utterly fascinating. I spent a couple of hours going through the live animals and tropical fish area.

The afternoon I was there the temperature was 35°C (95°F) and 100% humidity (or so it felt) and in the market there wasn’t a breath of air. After a couple hours I was absolutely dying—I desperately needed air conditioning, a shower and a gallon of water to drink. When I exited the market I came across a cheerful vendor who was selling a variety of fried insects as tasty snacks! I took the opportunity to take a few photos for my blog before I dashed back to the hotel to cool off...

Below is a nice photo of the vendor and a couple of examples of what he had to offer.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

vender close copyright ernie cooper 2013_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

grasshoppers 3 copyright ernie cooper 2013_filtered sm by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

pupae copyright ernie cooper 2013_filtered sm by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM
michael kilner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · fried bugs as a nutritious and tasty snack!

supposed to be full of protein but I think I will opt for a kebab instead

Apr 17, 2013 at 02:58 PM
denis55
• • • •
p.1 #3 · fried bugs as a nutritious and tasty snack!

same here.

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ecooper

p.1 #4 · fried bugs as a nutritious and tasty snack!

I have eaten mealworms, grasshoppers and ant eggs in Mexico (put it in a tortilla with enough salsa and guacamole and I can eat anything). I’m not so sure about eating those pupae though... . But he was also offering huge (3-4") fried giant water bugs and deep-fried fledgling birds (I have a couple of photos on my blog)—now those were intimidating!!

EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Apr 17, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #5 · fried bugs as a nutritious and tasty snack!

Hey! you owe me a new keyboard, for I have just puked all over the one I was using. Joke.

Really, though, I like the images, especially the second image.

Julian

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Ecooper

p.1 #6 · fried bugs as a nutritious and tasty snack!

Julian Nell wrote:
Hey! you owe me a new keyboard, for I have just puked all over the one I was using. Joke.

Really, though, I like the images, especially the second image.

Julian

! Thanks!

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:19 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password