Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Polarized filter to fix reflection?

karonmark

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Polarized filter to fix reflection?

I was wondering if a polarized filter would eliminate the blue specs of light that are near the bottom rear of the first car. I get this a lot when I shoot at night with my 35mm f1.8

If not, what would?

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Polarized filter to fix reflection?

That looks like lens flare to me, and polarizing won't correct that. What are the details of your shot? Shutter speed, aperture?

Paul

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:58 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Polarized filter to fix reflection?

There is light coming in from just outside the frame. Hold your hand just above and beyond the lens hood. That will probably keep it from happening. Nice starbursts on lthe lights.

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:13 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Polarized filter to fix reflection?

If you are shooting with any kind of filter on the lens (like a UV or skylight filter), try shooting without it. There is no guarantee - it may be lens flare - but it is these types of shots where a UV filter, particularly a low-cost one, will often bite you.

In any case, a polarizer will likely not help and may actually add to the flare.

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:16 AM
karonmark

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Polarized filter to fix reflection?

It was shot at f11 and 20 sec. I didn't use any filter. The 35mm does have a hood, but maybe not big enough?

Apr 17, 2013 at 02:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Polarized filter to fix reflection?

+1 Runamuck . You need to look for these when you are shooting and move your hand around to block the source. It is out of frame, but still gives you lens flare. If you are shooting on a tripod, you have both hands free to find the source and deal with it.

What lens are you using? Lens coatings can help with this kind of issue, but even the best lenses can get it.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:44 PM
karonmark

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Polarized filter to fix reflection?

Ya i was shooting with a tripod and a Nikon 33mm f1.8 with its hood. I'll try using my hand next time. Otherwise if that doesn't fix it I guess I'll try one of those long rubber hoods

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Polarized filter to fix reflection?

Hope it works out. Cool pic by the way.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:29 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Polarized filter to fix reflection?

karonmark wrote:
It was shot at f11 and 20 sec. I didn't use any filter. The 35mm does have a hood, but maybe not big enough?

I've been seen using a large hat to shade the lens because the sun was shining on the front element. You do what you have to do to prevent this.

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:46 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Polarized filter to fix reflection?

I agree that the lens is most susceptible to flare when the light is at the edge of the lens, but flare can also occur when the light is within the frame. I suspect that this flare is coming from the lights at the top of the image. A different lens may be less susceptible, especially if it is a newer lens with modern coatings, but not necessarily. I don't know which 35mm lens you are using. You could preview the image in live view at the chosen aperture to get a heads up on it. Then again, it's not so bad and could be easily cloned in Photoshop.

Apr 23, 2013 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password