Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Trouble with focus points on D800E ?

briancphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trouble with focus points on D800E ?

I have just noticed something which has me worried about my brand new (refurbished) camera. Today is a fairly overcast day and I was testing out my older Nikon 70-300 VR. What happened was in AF-S when I had one of the outer focus points selected instead of locking onto focus the camera will just hunt back and forth. It happened about equally on both sides of the frame. When I use one of the central spots it locks on accurately and rapidly with no hunting. It seems to happen more when I am zoomed out closer to 300mm. It happens on a wide variety of targets. I didn't seem to have this problem on my old camera with the same lens (D7000). I also didn't have any trouble when I was shooting my sons soccer game but I was only using the 9 central spots

When I switched lenses to the 85 1.8 the problem seemed to go away. The only time I could make it hunt is when I gave it a really tough target like a smooth board with almost know texture. I know not all of the focus spots are the same. Is this something normal that you would expect with those outer focus spots on a smaller aperture lens. Or is it possible there is something wrong with the camera?

Thanks for any help. Brian

Apr 16, 2013 at 08:25 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password