Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D800 or D600 for video?

friscoron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D800 or D600 for video?

I've been using a Canon HD camcorder for video but I'm thinking now that I'm going to buy either a D800 or D600 mainly as a video camera, but also as another backup (also have a D700) to my D4. Anyone have any experience comparing the video from the D800 vs the D600. Or is this any other Nikon full-frame camera I should consider that does video?

Ron

Apr 16, 2013 at 06:28 PM
ffstory

p.1 #2 · D800 or D600 for video?

There is no aperture control on the D600 during shooting. Otherwise they are equal as far as video capability is concerned.

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:01 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #3 · D800 or D600 for video?

ffstory wrote:
There is no aperture control on the D600 during shooting. Otherwise they are equal as far as video capability is concerned.

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Apr 17, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Kurt Jones
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · D800 or D600 for video?

I have not compared the two but we film the TV show Wilfred entirely on the D800 and Nikon AIS glass and it recently won the ASC award for Cinematography. D800 can handle all your DSLR concerns.

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:26 AM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #5 · D800 or D600 for video?

Why not prioritize? It depends on how you're going to use your setup of gear.

The D800 is a step up in low-ISO still image performance, and also has better video than the D4.
The D600 has better video than the D4, but actually quite similar still image performance at low(ish) ISOs, much better shadow detail at base ISO.

If your main interest in this purchase is video, why not go for a D7100 in stead? APS will complement your FX camera in some still image situations, and the D7100 is actually better than both the D600 and the D800 for pure video quality.
-Though it also (like the D600) lacks in-video aperture control. I haven't found this to be a limitation though, for anything more involved than quick reporter-style clips you have to use manual lenses to get the best results anyway....

Just my 2c.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul_Trantow

p.1 #6 · D800 or D600 for video?

At least before the firmware upgrade (I haven't done it yet) any external mic hosed into the D800's mic jack was basically ruined by noise. Part buzz, part hum. Loud. It didn't affect the built-in mic, but who uses that? So check into that before journeying any further. Running a dual system complicates things, and it seems like an unnecessary hassle for a camera that makes really nice video images.

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:44 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #7 · D800 or D600 for video?

Used D800 5D mk2/3 and D600 for video and have to say the D800 beats them all. The IQ for video is amazing, sharp with huge dynamic range and crazy high iso. Many would say the 5D 3 is better at high iso, but it applies very heavy noisereduction, which is comparable to the high NR setting on the D800, then you get the same same noise as the 5D, but a way sharper image. D600 is a bit handicaped for video because you don't have aperture control for the longer shots (not that big for an issue if it's not for reportage shooting in daylight with clouds). Manual lenses are not a lot better than normal ones... If they have a large focusthrow, any lens will do. My favorites: Sigma 35 1.4 (both in fx as dx videomode) and Nikon 70-200 vr2, also use my 85mm macro in 1.2 cropmode for closeups. External microphone is also important!

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:57 PM
TheObiJuan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · D800 or D600 for video?

I owned the D600 then moved up to the D800. I'm coming from shooting as a video journalist for the military with Canon FF DSLRs, so I gave Nikon a shot.

I heard good things, saw lots of videos that seemed great.

After banging my head trying to mimic my shooting style on Canon DSLRs, I now realize that will not work.

I prefer to shoot my b-roll and interviews in Manual mode, with the shutter speed at 1/50th, my aperture at f/1.4-2 for interviews, 2.8-5.6 for b-roll, and here's the big difference--AUTO ISO.
I set the limit of Auto ISO to 3200 and call it a day. These cameras do not have auto ND, so auto ISO is essential.

I spoke to a few Nikon reps here in Japan and they are insistent that Nikon has intentionally left out the auto ISO feature on PURPOSE. I don't get it!?

Sure, I can waist more time installing and adjusting vari-NDs that will make me miss critical shots that aren't allowed to be staged or reshot, since I'm a journalist.

I'm loving the D800's sharpness and image quality as a still camera, but the lack of this one feature makes a huge difference to me.

Other things like focus peaking, zebra stripes, compression and codec options would be nice, but I can manage.

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:04 PM
TheObiJuan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · D800 or D600 for video?

Paul,

I shoot with a VideoMic Pro set to +20 and lower the D800's mic preamp to 5-7 range and get minimal noise and no humming.

Even when using a wireless lavaliere and pumping it directly into the camera at level 10-12, I still get minimal noise. In FCP X, a noise reduction of 30% or so usually cleans it up flawlessly with no noticeable effects to vocal quality.

What mic setup are you using? Are you shooting your audio in manual?

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:09 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #10 · D800 or D600 for video?

Paul_Trantow wrote:
At least before the firmware upgrade (I haven't done it yet) any external mic hosed into the D800's mic jack was basically ruined by noise. Part buzz, part hum. Loud. It didn't affect the built-in mic, but who uses that? So check into that before journeying any further. Running a dual system complicates things, and it seems like an unnecessary hassle for a camera that makes really nice video images.

I use an Azden SMX-10 on the flash mount of my D800 and have not encountered any buzz, hum, or lens noise.
On days when I forget my external mic or the batteries go dead, I use the in-camera mic.
It is quite a bit better than any other camera I've used.

As for aperture control, I use the in-camera control everytime I Videograph inside our Church.
I find it a lot more convenient than using the lens or two hands to adjust the ISO.

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:26 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password