New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon Panorama prints

capt don
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Panorama prints

Is there any way to trick the canon 9000 pro or 9500 pro printers into making a panorama print. I spoke to the canon rep on the phone and he said 13 x 19 is it and that's all it can do in maximum size.

Apr 16, 2013 at 07:40 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Panorama prints

Well, he may have given you the sizes of what he knows as cut-sheet paper or what is a standard size in the driver.

That said, the *driver* itself is limited to something like 24" length (from what I recall reading somewhere about Canon printers) so 24"-ish is all you're going to be able to get from 9000/9500 series. I've never seen or heard of a viable workaround other than buying a $$$ RIP software (which replaces the driver)(but would cost 2-3x what the printer itself costs)

As a side-note, even the Epson 38xx is limited to 37.x" via the driver also.

Apr 16, 2013 at 08:15 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Panorama prints

Red River makes 13x38" cut sheets of some their papers. They have a warning note about the Canon 24" driver limitation: http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/bigsheets.htm

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:12 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Panorama prints

Using a printer utility like Qimage will allow you to bypass the limitations of the printer driver.

ken

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Panorama prints

I disagree w/ you Ken.

Qimage is not a RIP and doesn't natively bypass the driver. It can do some fancy stitching/tiling from what I hear which may be acceptable to the OP.

Qimage is a $90 investment (they do have a trial and 'no refund' policy)

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM
gse53
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Panorama prints

FYI, I entered a custom page size in my pro9000 II and the limits are 14.00 inches (355.6mm) width and 26.61 inches (676mm) height. My Qimage does print over multiple pages.

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:30 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Panorama prints

howardm4 wrote:
I disagree w/ you Ken.

Qimage is not a RIP and doesn't natively bypass the driver. It can do some fancy stitching/tiling from what I hear which may be acceptable to the OP.

Qimage is a $90 investment (they do have a trial and 'no refund' policy)

I never said that Qimage was a "RIP" though it is a fully featured printer utility that it has been likened to a "poor man's RIP." Am I intimately familiar with the software coding---nah. But I trust Mike Chaney when he says Qimage bypasses "the printer drivers' rudimentary scaling algorithms [and] provides maximum quality for small and large prints alike." That I have seen.

Have you tried it?

I'm one of those that has used Qimage for years and appreciate many of its features. And yes, printing large is one of them. I've printed 44" wide by over twenty feet on both an Epson 9800 and 9900. Qimage is a rather nominal investment, and its ability to organize icc profiles and individual printer media settings alone is worth the price of admission, imho.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Panorama prints

I believe what Chaney is referring to is the up-rez'ing that drivers do and not a reference to bypassing hardcoded driver limits on maximum print size.

I haven't tried it because I have a 3800 and I'm fine w/ a 38" print so I have no need to try it.

You're comparing apple/oranges. The 9xxx series and it's drivers are made for looong prints so you're not validating your premise by using those as an example. Don't misquote me; I'm not saying Qimage isn't a worthwhile piece of software. It just doesn't do what you seem to be implying it does.

Apr 17, 2013 at 05:24 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Panorama prints

Howard,

Just an fyi---the large pro wide format Epson printers such as the 9890 and 9900 are also similarly limited in their print length by the Epson driver. It is the same issue.

Afaik, only printer utilities such as Qimage or a printer RIP will allow you to get around the print length limitation imposed by the driver.

I know you haven't tried Qimage; I have used it for years, and it works. Long panoramic images that I could not print from Photoshop, are easily printed with Qimage. Chaney states it pretty simply from his website: "In addition, Qimage can overcome printer driver length limitations entirely if the driver offers a roll paper/banner paper selection, allowing Qimage to go far beyond the 44 or 127 inch limit of your driver! It is not uncommon, for example, to hear from Qimage users who have printed one contiguous panoramic print 20 feet long when their Epson driver stops at only 127 inches!"

I know of no other means outside of Qimage or a RIP that the OP can print larger than the driver limitations.

Apr 17, 2013 at 09:59 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Panorama prints

again, unfair comparison. what is the length limit of the 9xxx series driver? I'll bet something quite large (vs. 24" on the Canon or 37 on the Epson 38xx)

Neither the Canon or Epson 38xx offer roll paper support.

It's my understanding that Qimage does what it does by breaking up the image into tiles and printing out each tile butted up against each other, thus faking out the driver.

I own Qimage Studio but like I said, I'm happy w/ 38" length so I never pursued looonnng printing w/ it.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.