Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

The following are pictures from Chestermen Beach on Vancouver Island. It is near Tofino and right below my window at the Wikinnish Inn.

I shot a similar scene with my 25f2, 35f1.4, and 15mm/2.8 zeiss with an umbrella over my camera to avoid the rain drops. I was trying to live with 3 lens. Well 4 - I brought my 17-55 for my 7d and kayaking.

It was a tough weekend for landscape photography. Blowing and raining so much it almost ruined the umbrella.

1-3 of 3

1 of 3 - Zeiss 15mm f2.8

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    15mm lens    15mm    f/11.0    1/8s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

2 of 3 - Zeiss 25mm f2.0

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    25mm lens    25mm    f/11.0    20s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

3 of 3 - Zeiss 35mm f1.4

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    35mm lens    35mm    f/11.0    1/20s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Apr 16, 2013 at 01:00 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2013 at 03:44 AM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

#1 for me, but I'd clean up the tree bits at the right edge.

Tim

Apr 16, 2013 at 04:27 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

Timmeh: I actually physically cleaned up some debris in one of the pictures - I will go back and see what I should do in photoshop. Thanks fro the suggestion. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

Hey Scott,

Those are tough conditions to shoot in, you came away with some nice shots still. I agree that #1 is my favorite, the lead in with the water in the foreground really makes it work. I do agree with Tim as to cloning out those couple of odd tree branches just poking into the scene along the upper right edge.

Jim

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:24 PM
paul weston
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

All nice but the first with the 15 is a beauty!

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Heinz H
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

Very nice atmosphere and composition in #1!

Heinz

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:55 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

JimFox: Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. The intruding trees do lead the eyes out of the frame. Much appreciate. Scott

paul weston: I just got the zeiss 15/2.8 last week for wide northern lights/nightscape shots. So far I really like it. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Heinz H: Glad you like 1. Wider usually works better for me. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

paul weston
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

I would LOVE to get that 15 but 3 GRAND!!!........................

Apr 17, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

paul weston wrote:

I would LOVE to get that 15 but 3 GRAND!!!........................

Worth every penny I hear!

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island is such an awesome part of the world... I really like these. I prefer the 2nd by quite a wide margin actually, for its powerful use of negative space. However, I do think it needs some blending work on the trees at the right. The sky between the cracks is too bright.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

paul weston: It is the best fast UWA bar none for low light. Perhaps the nikon 14-24 with an adapter is close, but the zeiss has less correctable ca and less correctible distortion and no focus creep. The only other lens is the TS/17 but it is not for night photography at f4. If I was just doing landscape, I would stick with my ts/17. But on this trip I was planning on night photography.

Gary Clennan: As I said to Paul, there are only 3 choices in uwa, and for low light this is the best one. Hopefully the picture tells the story. Thanks for the encouragement. Scott

Matt Tilghman: Good suggestion - there is some differences in exposure between the branches and it could be darker. Thanks for pointing it out. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:58 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

Scott, I am finding the sky being so dominent in all 3 photos, yet I think brings very little to the photo. It is very drab and grey. I know you want that set of trees on the right, but a tighter crop that would take out most of the sky would improve the image from my perspective.

harry

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Chestermen Beach - Tofino - Vancouver Island

chez: I was hoping for some color or pattern but it was just not coming. I agee that the sky is pretty constant. I should have tried a lower shot with more beach. I will go back and look through my raws. I appreciate the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:27 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password