Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Ventured away from the sand to the marshes and the marsh grass for the afternoon light. Such a variety and so beautiful. However the biting gnats/midges were out in force. The locals call them " can't see ums". You might not see them, but my goodness you feel them and they leave a very nasty bite that itches like mad !

I am having a bit of trouble with definitive ID on the rail, so if anyone can help would appreciate it.

Your nits, crits and comments are most appreciated.

Thank you for looking , hope you enjoy.

Birdie

Clapper Rail (?)

American Oyster Catchers

Edited on Apr 16, 2013 at 04:20 AM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2013 at 02:35 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Can't help with the definitive rail ID Birdie. They don't come up my way. The OC image is a striking one. Beautiful.

Apr 16, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

So for me the second one is just sweet, I love an open comp like this, no question on subject, well separated and in good color. I keep playing with less on top or less on bottom but I certainly really like this image.

#1 Lovely 'look' to this on Birdie. I am struggling with the comp but at the same time struggling to make it any better...........good challenge hereLooks like another reflection to the right against the shore?

Karl:cool

Edited on Apr 16, 2013 at 01:46 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2013 at 02:42 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Hi Roberta,

Gnats are huge compared to no see ums and you shore can see them! Worse than that you can feel them. A bit of DEET and gnats bug someone else. No see ums think DEET is perfume. I ran into no see ums in Alaska and the teeth with wings remove ham burgers from you. The only things more annoying Iíve run into are elephant flies. They behave like horse flies yet are the size of your thumb and they donít just fly over to you and bight you. They circle you going very fast and with the huge wings you canít help but hear them so you know when you are being circled. The bites are memorableÖ

Oh, I forgot you posted some photos. Iím not shore on the id of the first though I love the pose with reflection. The second is a real nice environmental of the oyster catchers. You should come here and Iíll help you get some full frame images of them

Morris

Apr 16, 2013 at 02:47 AM
canadajim
• • •
p.1 #5 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Like them both but number 2 is a real winner!

Great work.

Jim

Apr 16, 2013 at 03:20 AM
mrcolin2u
• • •
p.1 #6 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

These are both very nice Birdie. I think the first is a Clapper Rail although I wouldn't bet too much on it.
I like how the little splash of color of the Oyster catcher's contrast with the background.

Apr 16, 2013 at 04:15 AM
Chuck s

p.1 #7 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

I think the first is a clapper rail due to amount of white under tail, heavy bill, and especially the pattern of the white lines on the side. But I am no expert.
Nice shots!

Chuck

Apr 16, 2013 at 04:26 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

#2 is especially nice Roberta

Apr 16, 2013 at 08:51 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Both are nice Birdie. An unusual pose in 1, and a nice environmental shot in 2 ~ Ron

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM
JimLittle
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Both nice, but my pick is #2....well done!

Apr 16, 2013 at 01:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

canon.eos30d
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Very fine images, Birdie. I like the pose of your rail. OC flying with that background habitat is very beautiful.

- Tam

Apr 16, 2013 at 03:32 PM
CbJohn
• •
p.1 #12 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Loved the simplicity of composition in the second one Birdie. Went to your website and viewed your favorites over a cup of morning coffee, nice way to start my day, thank you
John

Apr 16, 2013 at 04:35 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Wow, I love #2 Birdie, it's fabulous. Congrats on your Rail too.
David

Apr 16, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Birdie-
I really love the first shot.
And it makes me smile- It's like the rail is discovering its own reflection and is trying out odd head/neck positions for effect.
Tiny biting insects that are called no-see-ums seem to be found all over the world. In addition to their vicious bites (unlike mosquitoes, the bites actually remove meat), I've heard that no-see-ums sometimes lay eggs under your skin. As the eggs hatch and the larvae eat and grow, the itching, festering wound can last a couple weeks. And like any itch- the more you scratch it, the more you damage the skin.
No-see-ums are one of Mama Nature's few serious mistakes .
Charlie

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:22 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Can't help with the definitive rail ID Birdie. They don't come up my way. The OC image is a striking one. Beautiful.

Thank you very much Ken. Glad you like it

So for me the second one is just sweet, I love an open comp like this, no question on subject, well separated and in good color. I keep playing with less on top or less on bottom but I certainly really like this image.

#1 Lovely 'look' to this on Birdie. I am struggling with the comp but at the same time struggling to make it any better...........good challenge hereLooks like another reflection to the right against the shore?

Karl:cool

Thank you Karl. Always like to see your thoughts and suggestions . They make me go back to the images and look at them again and think about different comps and post . There was a second rail in the reeds , good spot.

Hi Roberta,

Gnats are huge compared to no see ums and you shore can see them! Worse than that you can feel them. A bit of DEET and gnats bug someone else. No see ums think DEET is perfume. I ran into no see ums in Alaska and the teeth with wings remove ham burgers from you. The only things more annoying Iíve run into are elephant flies. They behave like horse flies yet are the size of your thumb and they donít just fly over to you and bight you. They circle you going very fast and with the huge wings you canít help but hear them so you know when you are being circled. The bites are memorableÖ

Oh, I forgot you posted some photos. Iím not shore on the id of the first though I love the pose with reflection. The second is a real nice environmental of the oyster catchers. You should come here and Iíll help you get some full frame images of them

Morris

Hi Morris! Elephant flies sound horrendous !! Glad I did not run into any of them. These "no see ums" bites are troublesome enough.

Apr 17, 2013 at 04:08 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Congrats Birdie, looks like a Clapper Rail to me but I'm no birder
I really like the environment in the second shot

-Tim

Apr 17, 2013 at 05:17 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Congrats on your first, Birdie. I would guess it is a King Rail as it looks more richly colored than a Clapper Rail, but it is hard to tell
The second image is very pleasing to the eyes
Socrate

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:51 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Like them both but number 2 is a real winner!

Great work.

Jim

Thank you so very much Jim !

These are both very nice Birdie. I think the first is a Clapper Rail although I wouldn't bet too much on it.
I like how the little splash of color of the Oyster catcher's contrast with the background.

Much appreciated Colin, thank you!

I think the first is a clapper rail due to amount of white under tail, heavy bill, and especially the pattern of the white lines on the side. But I am no expert.
Nice shots!

Chuck

Thank you Chuck ! I appreciate it.

#2 is especially nice Roberta

Kenny, thank you !

Both are nice Birdie. An unusual pose in 1, and a nice environmental shot in 2 ~ Ron

Ron, very much appreciated. Thank you !

Both nice, but my pick is #2....well done!

Thank you so very much, I appreciate it.

Very fine images, Birdie. I like the pose of your rail. OC flying with that background habitat is very beautiful.

- Tam

Tam, your comments and thoughts are always appreciated. Thank you.

Birdie

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:46 AM
mmarconi
• • •
p.1 #19 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Awesome Birdie, looked at the first and thought wow, just great with pose and reflection. Then scrolled to #2 and my jaw dropped. Everything came together on this shot, first love the openness and the sense of the enviroment, background is great and subject separation is perfect. You nailed it

Mike

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:58 AM
thomas_1950
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Rail (My First ) and Oyster Catchers

Nice looking Rail complete with reflection and love those American Oystercatchers!

Best,
Tom

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:00 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password