Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which bag - Think Tank Retro 5 or 7?

Ken Clacher
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which bag - Think Tank Retro 5 or 7?

Having ditched all my DSLR gear and switched to a NEX 7 and a few lenses, I'm in the hunt for a new bag. I've narrowed it down to a Think Tank Retro bag, but can't decide on a 5 or a 7. Not being able to actually get a hands on with either of these, I need a little assistance before I buy. I have the NEX and the 18-55, 16, 55-210 and the 50mm. Which bag out of these two would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Apr 15, 2013 at 04:46 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which bag - Think Tank Retro 5 or 7?

The retrospective 7 is really if you want to carry along a tablet or book. If all you are carrying is your nex-7 gear, I think the 5 should be enough. Why don't you call them up and see what they suggest? Their reps are very friendly, knowledgeable and don't mind chatting about photography

Edit: Never mind, I just saw you are from the UK. Email it is!

Apr 15, 2013 at 05:16 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which bag - Think Tank Retro 5 or 7?

It's actually possible to dial internationally, one of these modern inventions they came up with a century or so ago...

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:12 AM
lowbone
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which bag - Think Tank Retro 5 or 7?

My son has the retrospective 5 and fits the NEX 7 with 18-200, the 50mm 1.8 the 16mm f 2.8 and it the front pocket he keeps the wide angle converter and the fisheye converter. The 5 should be plenty big unless you plan to add a bunch of gear

Apr 16, 2013 at 08:22 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which bag - Think Tank Retro 5 or 7?

Being able to fit an ipad in the back pocket of the 7 is convenient.

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which bag - Think Tank Retro 5 or 7?

I'm ashamed to admit I actually own the Retrospective 5, 7 and 10. They're all similar but scaled up or down in size. I bought the R5 to carry my Olympus E-P3 and a lens and/or table top tripod. Indeed it works great: pockets up the wahzoo, excellent fit 'n finish and comfy to wear. Unfortunately, because it is so tiny, it looks like a woman's purse so you have to be confident in your manhood to tote it in public. I ended up using my Timbuk2 classic messenger with medium Crumpler Haven to carry my E-P3: plenty of room for other stuff and I look more like an urban he-man than a metromale with Murse.

The R7 is a nice bag for a small DSLR outfit and the pinestone color with destructed jeans and beater leather jacket impart a kickin' inner-city Johnny Appleseed vibe, blending well with urban clutter. Nobody will suspect you're laden with expensive gear. I hate carrying my iPad in the rear pocket as the bag no longer hugs and conforms to my body shape but, instead is stiff and bounces off my arse. The front pocket is a better place for an iPad.

My R7 review:

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/thinktank_retrospect7.htm

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which bag - Think Tank Retro 5 or 7?

I'm dying for a 7, will probably be my next photo purchase. Any idea if a 10" netbook will fit in the rear pocket? doesn't matter if it won't zip up.

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:50 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which bag - Think Tank Retro 5 or 7?

Beni wrote:
I'm dying for a 7, will probably be my next photo purchase. Any idea if a 10" netbook will fit in the rear pocket? doesn't matter if it won't zip up.

My 11" MacBook Air fits and can be zipped.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which bag - Think Tank Retro 5 or 7?

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:38 AM
Ken Clacher
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which bag - Think Tank Retro 5 or 7?

Thanks for the info guys. Talked to UK supplier and emailed TT and have ordered the Retro 7. Arrives tomorrow :-)

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:32 PM
mirageII
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which bag - Think Tank Retro 5 or 7?

@Beni

Harrison Cameras in Sheffield has these bags if you fancy a trip over the snake pass

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.