Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Voigtlander 180/4 APO - OK On A D800?

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtlander 180/4 APO - OK On A D800?

Thinking of tracking down at Voigtlander 180/4 APO Nikon mount to use as a compact ~200mm landscape lens.

My zooms are too large/heavy and my 200/4 AIS really runs out of steam at 36MP.

Anyone have experience with this lens at landscape (i.e., near infinity) distances - particularly for scenes with high contrast where flare and CA might be a problem. Since it would be for landscape-type work I'm looking for pretty even performance across the frame.

Thanks -

John

Apr 15, 2013 at 09:25 PM
j.liam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtlander 180/4 APO - OK On A D800?

Over at mflenses.com, Vilhelm Sjostrom, a knowledgable pro from Finland did an overview of best lenses for the D800 and the CV 180 is on that list:

http://forum.mflenses.com/zeiss-nikon-voigtlaender-which-pass-the-d800-36mpix-test-t53510,highlight,%2Bd800.html

Also, back when it was introduced, I think the ogre Bjørn Rørslett did the same at nikongear.com but I can't find the thread.

The one caveat I had with the CV 180 for distant objects was a twitchy confirmation dot at near-infinity, so I wasn't ever certain focus was precisely correct. It is billed as a 'Close Focus' lens and seems easier to focus for such objects. Its performance peak is at about ƒ/5.6 or so. My only experience with it has been on the D700. Impressive across-the-frame but can't say it would extrapolate on the D800.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtlander 180/4 APO - OK On A D800?

Thanks -

I found one for about $1,200 and was wondering how it would perform. I really like my 90/3.5 CV for the same type of shooting, but it too is "twitchy" at infinity and usually requires LV to get it nailed just right.

John

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtlander 180/4 APO - OK On A D800?

I love the lens on the D700; makes a great component of a light travel kit. In fact, I've traveled with the CV 90, CV 180, Nikkor 28/2 and Nikkor 50/1.2 on a trip to Italy. Was never wanting for something else.

As far as the twitchiness at infinity/near-infinity, stopping down to ƒ/5.6 or 8 appeared to eliminate inconsistency. Lower contrast at ƒ/4 renders that aperture less useful. Both the 180 and 90 seem designed for objects at closer distances. The Leica 180 Telyt APO was optimized for the work your planning to do and may be a better choice.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtlander 180/4 APO - OK On A D800?

Yes, I've been looking at the Leica 180 Telyt APO as well and found this direct comparison:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=27554

The problem with the Leica is it's much longer and a fair bit heavier . . .

I also compared my 90/3.5 CV against a LensRentals 100/2 MP Zeiss and I found the CV was equally as good at a distance even out in the far corners of the frame and the Zeiss I found to be excellent on my D800 - so if the 180 is as good as the 90 then it's good enough for me. I'd shoot it at f/5.6 for the most part anyways unless I really needed f/4. Close focusing does come in handy.

Compared to my 200/4 (which is heavier, longer, and has a much longer MFD) the 180/4 seems like it's got to be a major step up. It's just a matter of is it worth the price . . .

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtlander 180/4 APO - OK On A D800?

Later in that thread there are nighttime images with crops that I posted. I owned the Leica for a bit & wasn't at all put out by the weight. Its best performance was limited to objects at infinity, however and wasn't ideal for anything but that. It's resolving power for distant objects was impressive, as was the ease of focus.

Apr 16, 2013 at 01:01 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtlander 180/4 APO - OK On A D800?

The $1200 price you mention is roughly the going rate for this low-production lens. On the same website, mflenses.com, a crowd-source survey determined that no more than 700 or so were made in Nikon F mount. The problem is that nothing else like it exists, a near-APO tiny tele of this calibre.

Apr 16, 2013 at 08:24 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtlander 180/4 APO - OK On A D800?

j.liam wrote:
Over at mflenses.com, Vilhelm Sjostrom, a knowledgable pro from Finland did an overview of best lenses for the D800 and the CV 180 is on that list:

http://forum.mflenses.com/zeiss-nikon-voigtlaender-which-pass-the-d800-36mpix-test-t53510,highlight,%2Bd800.html

With such a nonsense as he writes down I wouldn't call this guy a knowledgable pro.

I had a Voigtlander 180/4 and sold it because at infinity it wasn't sharp enough IMO. Even heavy crops from the Zeiss 100/2 appeared to be sharper. At close range the Voigtlander was plenty sharp however.

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:33 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtlander 180/4 APO - OK On A D800?

Well, he actually is a thoughtful blogger. I don't agree with some of his choices on the list, especially the 105/2.5 and the degree he knocks the NOCT. However, you're exactly right about the CV 180 and confirms the issues I encountered, namely pinpointing proper focus at infinity as characterized by the twitchy dot confirmation (flickers at the slightest breath) while near objects are great (it is intentionally optimized for near distances). Hence my recommendation of the Leica, which I owned for a while, for landscape work at infinity.

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password