Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

rt007
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

I am thinking about bying a used Nikon 16-35 f4 and want to get some Lee ND graduated filters also.
Will this work or is 16mm to wide for that type of filters?

Apr 15, 2013 at 05:17 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

You can buy the adapter for the kit for wide angle lenses. I've been looking into buying the lee kit for my 16-35

Apr 15, 2013 at 05:58 PM
sb in ak
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

I think you just need the wide angle 77mm adapter ring from Lee. I'm picking up a 16-35 later this week and will be doing the same thing.

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:13 PM
mick5

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

I have Nikon 16-35mm lens with D800 v happy with it i bought 77mm wide angle ring along 10 stop Big stopper and 1,2,3 stop soft grand filters.
Please take my advise once and all buy lee filters rather screw in filters i got rid of all my screw in filters because lee filters are v easy to use.

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:25 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

If you are only going to use the square/rectangle GNDs you don't really need the wide angle adapter on Nikon 16-35. In my experience I have not seen the regular mounting ring cause vignette on 16-35. (I use Cokin Z-pro which is similar to Lee in dimensions). However, if you wish to use sprocket type circular filters on the holder e.g. polarizer then you may want to consider wide angle adapter.

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:28 PM
giulioz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

At 16mm it's ok to up to two slots, after it starts vignetting. Also, if you want to use a polarizer at 16mm you need the square Lee polarizer in the first or second slot. The round screw-in adapter in the front of the foundation kit vignets at 16mm. You should also use the wide-angle adapter

Apr 15, 2013 at 08:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

msoomro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

also, at 18mm+ polarizer's utility gets limited so the use case will be small

Apr 15, 2013 at 08:23 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

I use the Lee kit with the 16-35mm, wide angle adapter, big stopper and a 4mm glass Schneider graduated filter and there's no vignetting at 16mm. Definitely get the WA ring.

Apr 15, 2013 at 09:02 PM
lsutigerfan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

Wow! You got quite a response. I have the same setup, the 16-35mm with the Lee adapter. i bought the WA adapter as was recommended by EVERYONE at the time. I don't regret it because I can still use other lenses with the WA adapter, whereas it doesn't quite work the other way around. Another cool thing is that you can use smaller diameter lenses...say, for example, a 67mm by using a step up filter b/n the front of the lens and the Lee WA adapter -- WITHOUT vignetting. Best of both worlds. I would expect a little vignetting at 16mm with any adapter, period. Also, IMHO that lens is at its weakest and worst at 16mm with ALL of the distortion. I consider it a 17mm at best, and 18mm ideally, lens. 18mm is more than wide enough for me and with distortion largely eliminated from the widest setting it's a gem. Lastly, I know people use HDR to compensate for overexposing but even though Nikon DSLRs have arguably the best DR of any camera manufacturer -- there simply is no substitute for correct exposure. I took a lot of shots in the desert before I had the Lee filter system and no amount of HDR or photoshop could correct for overexposure I suffered (and not to mention the overexposure was grossly varied across the composition. Get the Lee Filter system and be done with it.

P.S. I know a fella on Fleabay that sells Lee filter components much cheaper than any other person out there. PM me if interested

Apr 15, 2013 at 09:17 PM
krickett
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

I'm also using the 16-35 with the WA ring. I setup the Lee holder with a 2mm slot and a 4mm slot, so that I can use the Big Stopper & Schneider GND's. No vignetting so far.

I should note that I only have 1 WA ring, 77mm. The rest are normal rings.

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:41 PM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

Unless you're stacking multiple filters, I find handholding the 4x6 filters very easy on that lens.

Apr 16, 2013 at 08:37 PM
lsutigerfan
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lee ND graduated filters with Nikon 16-35 f4?

Handholding is viable, unless you have a tricky light situation, a very dark scene (as in morning mist), or trying to stack multiple filters . It does have VR which is very helpful. Also, using a tripod would help and possibly eliminate need for filter system in some instances

Apr 17, 2013 at 04:57 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password