Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Bit of a quandry - to give image files to the client or not?

brianatsonic

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bit of a quandry - to give image files to the client or not?

Some friends of ours would like family/kids photos so I explained my sitting fee and how the images will be in a gallery available for ordering prints. Before the wife and I even spoke she had purchased a 20x30 canvas coupon code through Living Social expecting me to give her the images on a flash drive. I explained once again all the images will be on the site and that I don't provide the files.

Her last photographer charged a flat fee then gave her all the images which I disagree with, but that's what she was expecting. I'm sort of stuck here with how to proceed, I personally don't think I should give anyone the images that I have taken, it's the principle of it. Also, I feel I need to treat everyone the same whether I know them or not. If I am doing this in my spare time to make money then giving images away just doesn't seem wise to me.

Can anyone provide their thougths?

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bit of a quandry - to give image files to the client or not?

Well personally, I'm not a full time pro. I make about 10-15% of my income from photography. With that being said, I have no problem giving them my images (small watermarked, that could easily be photoshopped out if they really wanted) on a dvd. As long as I get my desired hourly/job goal, I'm happy. I'm not really worried about them printing a million copies of their kid. Now if they were trying to take the photos to get published in a magazine, I'd feel different.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM
brianatsonic

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bit of a quandry - to give image files to the client or not?

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply, I do suppose you have a point but I would be frustrated if I give her the images then she uploads to Snapfish to share with everyone. That would be why I put them on my site in a gallery!

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bit of a quandry - to give image files to the client or not?

You'll probably think i'm being rude here, but this business model is a relic of the last century. In the days of film a professional photographer could maintain such control over the images and hold the negatives to ransom, but not in the modern world. Now that the ability to take and print high quality photos is within reach of everyone, the value of the services of a professional photographer has diminished markedly. In the digital world the customer is king and if you want to get paid for your work you must adapt to what *they* want.

In this case you also need to consider how much of a friend your customer is. Are you willing to lose friends to maintain your artistic control?

Apr 15, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bit of a quandry - to give image files to the client or not?

15Bit wrote:
You'll probably think i'm being rude here, but this business model is a relic of the last century. In the days of film a professional photographer could maintain such control over the images and hold the negatives to ransom, but not in the modern world. Now that the ability to take and print high quality photos is within reach of everyone, the value of the services of a professional photographer has diminished markedly. In the digital world the customer is king and if you want to get paid for your work you must adapt to what *they* want.

Finally. I am a fairly young guy and I just don't understand the old way of doing things. I always offer the full-size JPEGs on a DVD and just charge a flat rate that covers my expenses. I suppose it's the idea that you can offer a lower fee to "entice" them into signing a contract with you and then charge them later for prints but it just seems so backwards to me. Everyone I've ever shot for seems to really like having the photos they paid for. Prints are on the way out.

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:28 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bit of a quandry - to give image files to the client or not?

I charge by the re-touched image file. No per hour shoots etc. For a flat fee I guarantee maybe 6 images, usually 2 of each look. Some order prints but 100% want a digital file for social media and a lot of my clients are business clients so prints are worthless.

I provide a digital file along with the print. The print, even if done on my epson is for showing off to friends and helps my marketing, so does the facebook post they make before they even get home.

My client may try to make a large print but the crop will be off and most likely the quality will be less than the best. Most consumer labs just don't have much quality control and colors are all over the place.

All but the cheapest client will have me adjust the file to the corect size and sharpness for a large print. I charge more than actual cost (about double) but not a massive amount. I already made my money from the image file. This pays for the time and talent required to fine tune the image for the print size wanted and protects me in case of a re-print for whatever reason.

Apr 17, 2013 at 05:56 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.