1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Canon 400 mm options

stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon 400 mm options

dwweiche wrote:
That is an F-18 (possibly the Super Hornet version by the looks of the intakes).

Show how much I know It had two tail fins

From the Space Shuttle edition - I know a bit more about that field:

STS-125 Atlantis and STS-400 Endeavour on the launch pad - the last time two space shuttles would be out at the same time

STS-131 Discovery in the VAB as seen from the VAB crane

STS-131 Discovery launch as seen from the VAB roof

Endeavour leaving Kennedy Space Center for LA to be shown on display

Discovery arriving at Washington Dulles on its way to the Smithsonian

Edited on Apr 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon 400 mm options

dwweiche wrote:
That is an F-18 (possibly the Super Hornet version by the looks of the intakes).

You may be spot on, just noticed the curved body fins that run at wing joint to the canopy, the 15 doesn't have them, the intakes are smaller than the 15's as well and the engine nozzles do look quite close together and smaller than the 15's, good catch, also Stan shoots the Shuttle, should have guessed F-18

Beautiful Shuttle images Stan, captures for a lifetime

The F-15 and 18 have twin engines and tail fins, the 15's fins are straight up, the 18's are V'ed, the F-16 has a single tail fin and engine...jet trivia

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon 400 mm options

stanj wrote:
Oh it will be a fine combination for sure, just not as good as the 400 DO. When I put the TC on the 200/2, I was impressed with the quality and was getting ready to sell the DO. Then I actually bothered to do the same test with the DO and was shocked. And that from the DO's biggest fan

Maybe I can pick one up for a song when the mark II comes out. If recent supertele rollouts are any indicator, it will be at least a few years

May get a 400 5.6 since I will have F8 AF on my 5DIII soon. Seems like since I only have one big white (200 1.8) the 400 5.6 may be a be a better idea than the TC 2xIII as it would be so much lighter and I already have a TC 1.4III.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:15 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon 400 mm options

stanj wrote:
Show how much I know It had two tail fins

From the Space Shuttle edition - I know a bit more about that field:

Great shots! Those are probably some of the more important and historical photo's any 400 DO has ever been responsible for. If a 7D/400 DO combo is capable a picture like the one of the shuttle taking off at night, then I definately will have no one to blame but myself if I can't get acceptable results.

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:25 AM
Lan11
[X]
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon 400 mm options

Ad: howard

It is an interesting alternative to the 400 DO (albeit for ~ $1k extra) especially considering its weight and performance. However, getting the reach, which I think I need, with a TC is a reasonable solution for occasional use. For my application I have to start with the optimum length. I have the EF300/4, which is excellent, but a little short.
It is a very difficult riddle. The compromises are weight, size and speed of the lens. Thanks for comments.

Ad: stanj

Thanks for excellent examples of the BIF and mating position : -)
Looking at #4, I wonder if they're parked there or had the pilot overshot the runway? :- )

Apr 17, 2013 at 08:34 AM
godfather
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon 400 mm options

I find myself looking at the 400 5.6 again after recently selling off my long lens. There are a lot of good options but I already own the 70-200 II which takes the 1.4 very well. I really only need a top quality 400 that I can glue on a 1.4 for shooting in northern OH this spring. I'd really like canon to put IS on the 400 but honestly I'm not willing to pay over 2k for it...

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:24 PM
howard
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon 400 mm options

Just want to give an update since I mentioned the 1.4x III TC + 300 IS II combo; I just got the TC a couple of days ago and ran a field test. I found out that I needed +8 MFA, but after that I am pretty pleased with the sharpness. AF speed is pretty good too on my lowly 50D. Here's a couple of shots taken with this combo:

http://www.travelerathome.com/image_upload/birds/2013_spring/purple_martin2.jpg

http://www.travelerathome.com/image_upload/birds/2013_spring/purple_martin4.jpg

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:10 AM
Lan11
[X]
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon 400 mm options

Ad: howard Thanks for the update.
There is nothing to complain about the 300+1.4TCIII results. The only negative for such an expensive lens is its MFD. Otherwise it is tops.I was briefly interested in 400/5.6, but I consider f4 as the slowest acceptable speed.

I'd like to see more picts, and possibly a link to an actual file I could d/load - if possible, made with the 400 DO, which some people call a "controversial" lens.

Apr 22, 2013 at 07:49 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon 400 mm options

The 400mm f4 DO is a much better lens than it's reputation would have you believe. It even works very well with a 1.4x extender, as can be seen in the example below.

I no longer have mine, but after looking at some of the images I shot with it, I may have to look for another one.

Shot with the 5D Mark III, EF 400mm f4 DO IS and EF 1.4X-II Extender, hand-held @ 1/125/sec, f8, ISO 100

100% crop (you can see I should have used a tripod...)

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:02 AM
Lan11
[X]
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon 400 mm options

Thanks molson.
These type of shots even on a heavy tripod are not always successful (breeze and other movements), so don't expect too much from a hand held shot and TC.

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:41 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon 400 mm options

Lan11 wrote:
Ad: howard Thanks for the update.
There is nothing to complain about the 300+1.4TCIII results. The only negative for such an expensive lens is its MFD.

A 300mm f/2.8 lens that focuses at 2m and you think that's a negative. What were you expecting?

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:51 AM
Lan11
[X]
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon 400 mm options

Ad: pixel

At least what I've on ~$1k lens. Namely MFD of 1.5m and extending lens shade.
What they offer is a shade attachable with a screw, no Arca Swiss compatible tripod clamp, no handle (like Sigma) to facilitate schlepping it. On a $7k lens this is a reasonable expectation.
Canon also woke up in 2013 and discovered that everybody make center pinch lens cups : -(

Apr 22, 2013 at 04:02 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon 400 mm options

Lan11 wrote:
Ad: pixel

At least what I've on ~$1k lens. Namely MFD of 1.5m and extending lens shade.
What they offer is a shade attachable with a screw, no Arca Swiss compatible tripod clamp, no handle (like Sigma) to facilitate schlepping it. On a $7k lens this is a reasonable expectation.
Canon also woke up in 2013 and discovered that everybody make center pinch lens cups : -(

I'm starting to think this was a troll post all along...

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon 400 mm options

I just picked up a 400 5.6. It appears, to me anyway, to be much sharper than the 100 400, and my copy is sharp. It really seems to focus much faster, even in lower light than my 100 400 ever thought of. I am anxious to shoot more with it but so far I am liking it.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Lan11
[X]
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon 400 mm options

Ad: molson

I'm sure you had one too many.

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:52 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.