FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Genes Home: Next time I am running from wolves I will remember your offer. Unfortunately it only happens 1/6months and at an unpredictable moment. A year or 2 ago I got between 2 wolves chasing a moose about 30k from this spot, and did not notice the wolves until they were just across the road from me. That was fun. My daughter says - look at the nice dogs dad. Come to Alberta and I will look for them with you. I can't guarantee wolves but I can guarantee something - grizzly, moose, bighorn, mountain goats.... Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Sunny Sra: Glad you like them. It is a reminder to me that even a day without color could result in some great opportunity. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Charlie Shugart: I am hoping that it was the tripod - otherwise I would have to report him to the rangers. I think it was the tripod that attracked him. The story fits right in there with being charged by the grizzly last year, or watching the grizzly fall asleep, or following the moose into the bush and then having him stop.... It was fun. Glad you like the pictures and back story. Much appreciated. Scott

USM IS: Glad you like my model wolves. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:13 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

waldr_p: Glad you like 2,3,9-12. It was a great morning. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

morris: Glad you like 2,3,4. The wolves were spectacular to see. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Dan Heitman: Too bad you missed it. The experience was more than pictures. Even if we were fighting over the 7d. Have a great week next week in Mexico. Much appreciated. Scott

gregfountain: Glad you like the pictures. It is nice to be able to share with people that appreciate the luck. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

KirkB: The pack was really interesting to see the interactions. And the adrenaline boost was good too. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:21 PM
kbarrera
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Wow,

# 5 and 7 for me. How lucky are you. I would kill to see that on a local outing.

Al

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

kbarrera: Glad you like 5,7. You know - I travel all over world looking for good pictures but I always do best close to home. This interaction was a good as any other I could find anywhere. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 15, 2013 at 07:46 PM
dkapp2536
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Awesome series Scott !!

Apr 15, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Wonderful photos and love the story telling too. #3 is sensational.

Apr 15, 2013 at 08:26 PM
G.E. Smith
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Sweet! Those are really nice. Number 9 and 12 are my favorites.

Apr 15, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

dkapp2536: Glad you like the pictures. The story was better than the picture, but the pictures will endure. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Frogfish: Glad you like my story and 3- I am sure it will get better with the telling Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

G.E. Smith: Glad you like 9 and 12. He was sizing me up for breakfast. Thats one of the last looks you will get if you are a moose. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM
canadajim
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Beautiful series Scott - glad you made it out in one piece. The last one is killer!

Jim

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Jim: I sure it was safer than it felt. I was just worried because people have been known to feed wolves on that route and he did not seem much afraid of myself. But I did not want to test the theory. Or have to run at the last minute with my lens sitting vunerable. Its funny - I go looking for them and I don't find them and then when I am not looking they show up. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM
JimLittle
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Great series....well done!

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:01 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Excellent set Scott, thanks for risking life and limb
David

Apr 16, 2013 at 01:27 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Outstanding images. Great story. Last four looks like a predator sizing you up as a threat or a meal, and not mere curiosity.

Apr 16, 2013 at 02:17 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
[X]
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Great set Scott but getting a bit too close for comfort obviously.
Take care.
Martin

Apr 16, 2013 at 02:22 PM
signo
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Amazing!! Beautiful shots, did you recovery the tripod?

Apr 16, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

JimLittle: Glad you like my wolf models. They work just for the chance to eat you. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

David Leask: I was not planning to risk anything - just got lucky. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

brimull: I think he was deciding whether he should eat me but the big question is - if I was away from my truck the pack around me, would he have stopped just short - likely. Glad you like the images and story. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott
Martin Good: It was just close enough for mild discomfort. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

signo: I could touch the tripod from my window as he came up. I even felt nervous to have the window open. He just looked over the tripod without biting it or even licking it. Maybe he was just showing his fellow wolves that he was brave. After he went a bit away, I got out and took pictures of him retreating . I then listened to the wolves howling over my head - it was fantastic. Then I put the tripod away. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:57 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Terrific, Scott! Thanks for sharing these- I doubt I'd ever have the nerve to get this close!

Apr 16, 2013 at 06:10 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

mitesh wrote:
Terrific, Scott! Thanks for sharing these- I doubt I'd ever have the nerve to get this close!

They were not close. When I first saw them they were across the river and I had to switch to 1.4x and 7d to close the distance. Initially my nervousness was when they stopped to howl and the howl was returned on the other side of me. But then I considered that they were just checking in with each other. The close part happened quickly - perhaps over 10 seconds. So my bravado was more situational then planned. But it was fun. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 16, 2013 at 06:14 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

Super shots. I like #2 and 3. #9-12 are also great "poses." I am sure you can work on the noise levels of those last ones. I saw my first Canadian moose on Hwy 93, 21 years ago. Elk at Jasper are a hoot to watch.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.