Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How should I invest my $1000

finover9

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How should I invest my $1000

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum. I have decision to make and would like to hear from professional and expert here.

I got about $1000 from my tax return and would like to upgrade my photography equipment . This $1000 is very precious to me and cannot afford trial and error (Im also a student). So, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A little bit about me. I am an armature. I take mostly landscape picture, cityscape, and a little bit of street picture. I want my picture to look artistic and all of my picture will be present on webpage, will not be printing any time soon. And Im shooting RAW and use Photoshop CS5 and LR 4.4

Currently, I am using D90 with 18-200mm, 85mm, 50mm, and 11-16mm lens. My computer has only 4 gig of RAM, regular SATA hard drive, cheap monitor, and 512 GTX 460.
I have been thinking how should I spend this money wisely and come up with these options:

Option 1:
In my opinion, Monitor is very important for post processing . I donít want to spend hours of editing and picture shows up differently to other people. Also , I would like to train my eyes to see color and produce photo with accurate color.
- NEC PA241WBK BHphoto $750
- Upgrade hard drive to SSD $150
- Upgrade RAM to 16 gig $150
Total of $1050
I wont have enough money to buy color calibration hardware and software anytime soon. I hope I can trust this NEC monitor out of the box according to my research, but not sure if Im right. Please advice.

Option 2:
- Dell U2410 $370
- Spyder 4 Pro $150
- SSD $150
- RAM $150
Total of $820
I know that U2410 is inconsistent with color and have problem with color tint and pixel. I want to spend more on NEC PA241WBK so I donít have to deal with calibration problem and hopefully NEC is last longer.

Option 3:
I want a full frame camera. I find D90 is noisy even with ISO 200 and most of my picture is long exposure. With that money and a little bit more I can get Canon 5D mark II or D700 used.
- $1200 - $1500

Option 4:
Save up for lens. I know that lens are more important that camera but nice lens are expensive.
I prefer option 1. I believe using PA241WBK will help me improve how I look at color over U2410. I know Im not going to be great photographer with good monitor, but training my eyes with accurate color monitor is a first step in my opinion.

Im open for any suggestion advise. Also. I am sure there are better options that I dont know

Thank you in advance,

Jeff

Apr 14, 2013 at 07:51 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How should I invest my $1000

if you're not getting a calibration device, most of the advantage of the NEC is thrown away. Some Dell's have problems but then again so do some NECs and the 2410 is a nice unit (I ahve the PA241 BTW).

Find a good midrange monitor.
you dont need 16G of memory, 8 will do fine
you can add an SSD alongside your HDD for less than $150
get a calibrator

Apr 14, 2013 at 09:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How should I invest my $1000

howardm4 wrote:
if you're not getting a calibration device, most of the advantage of the NEC is thrown away. Some Dell's have problems but then again so do some NECs and the 2410 is a nice unit (I ahve the PA241 BTW).

Find a good midrange monitor.
you dont need 16G of memory, 8 will do fine
you can add an SSD alongside your HDD for less than $150
get a calibrator

This. If you are only presenting on the web, there is little point in upgrading the camera/lens.

EBH

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM
finover9

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How should I invest my $1000

Thank you both of you. I will take your advise and get the mid-range monitor with calibrator.

Apr 15, 2013 at 01:23 PM
M. Magallon
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How should I invest my $1000

Another thing to consider is that these are both wide gamut monitors. When outputting so sRGB for the web with sole intent of color critical work, you may be disappointed. In particular, colors at the edges of the color spectrums, i.e. magentas will look compressed and you may lose detail in images exported to the web. I'm assuming that since you're exporting to the web, you have the intent of viewing the images in other display devices than just your home monitor. If you export you pictures in the monitors native wide gamut, the pictures will look fine in your monitor, but will look faded in other display devices (i.e. Ipads, sRGB monitors).

If consistency and predictability are important to you, then consider saving even more money and getting an sRGB monitor. Wide gamuts are great and the images do indeed look better on them because you can see a wider range of tonal color variation on them than the typical sRGB monitor, but they introduce an added layer of complexity to your workflow. I find they are more advantageous if you consistently use a printer as your output device.

Apr 15, 2013 at 04:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

finover9

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How should I invest my $1000

Thank you Magallon,

Im thinking of getting NEC PA231W with SpectraViewII Color Calibration Solution. I know it has problem with back light bleeding. I will do more research on how that will effect the editing process. Thank you you all once again

Apr 16, 2013 at 01:47 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How should I invest my $1000

if you want more 'flexibility', don't get the monitor w/ the SVII 'solution'. You'd be better off getting the monitor, the XRite i1Display Pro and the SVII software (available from NEC directly). I believe the 'solution' essentially locks the hardware calibrator to the NEC rendering it useless on a non-NEC monitor.

Something to check.

Apr 16, 2013 at 02:58 PM
M. Magallon
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How should I invest my $1000

NEC's are not only terrific monitors, but great value. I have the 26" NECWUXI2 with Spectraview II and have been very satisfied with it since I bought it four years ago.

That's a great idea getting the Spectraview II solution because you can use that for future NEC monitor purchases and it's probably the easiest, most streamlined, monitor calibration solution on the planet.

Apr 16, 2013 at 03:02 PM
finover9

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How should I invest my $1000

That is a good point Howardm4 and I am aware of that. However, I talked to BHphoto tech and she said the bundle that comes with PA231W is the pro kit with new puck and able to use with non-NEC monitors. Also, I made sure with NEC tech but he said it probably will work but dont take his word. Thought I would share

Anyways, If I get NEC monitor. I am probably going to stay with NEC from now on. I have heard great things about them and I will find out soon after a little more research

Thank you guys

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password