New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tripod rings for the Canon 70/300 L IS

aboudd
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod rings for the Canon 70/300 L IS

I recently posted a couple of reviews of the Canon 70/300 L IS lens on my blog. I'm very pleased with the amount of interest you all have shown in them.

I just posted a follow-up regarding the use of 3rd party tripod rings with the lens. You may or may not be aware that the Canon OEM ring is about $170 - and often hard to find. 3rd party options exist starting as low as $25.00. As tempting as that may be, I think one must be really careful - the last thing one wants is the ring to experience a malfunction and have a $1400 lens go crashing to the ground.

I ordered a more expensive 3rd party ring, one made by Fotodiox. I use Arca-Swiss compatible heads on my tripod and to use the tripod ring in that fashion I use the Kirk plates. The problem is the Fotodiox ring is not compatible to the Kirk plate. So, if you need to use a lens plate, don't buy the Fotodiox ring. I do not know about any of the other 3rd party brands, but it is something you may want to know about before buying anything.

Photo: Left to right, Fotodiox Premium plate, Canon Tripod Ring C (wII)

You can read the complete story at www.foto-gizmo.blogspot.com

Regards to all,

Aboud Dweck

©Photo by Aboud Dweck, All Rights Reserved

Edited on Apr 14, 2013 at 02:52 PM · View previous versions

Apr 14, 2013 at 02:48 PM
harrygilbert
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod rings for the Canon 70/300 L IS

I bought the genuine Canon product, although I had to wait 3 months to get it. Didn't want an expensive Camera and Lens to fall to the ground due to a broken inferior Chinese knock-off.

Apr 14, 2013 at 02:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod rings for the Canon 70/300 L IS

aboudd wrote:
...The problem is the Fotodiox ring is not compatible to the Kirk plate. So, if you need to use a lens plate, don't buy the Fotodiox ring.

Really?

The Fotodiox tripod mount ring does not have an integral A-S plate, but you can easily buy a general purpose plate/rail and attach it to the base of the ring. N'est ce pas?

Apr 14, 2013 at 02:56 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod rings for the Canon 70/300 L IS

Unfortunately, neither Kirk or Really Right Stuff makes a collar for the Canon 70-300 which would have an intergral AS plate. So the only choice is an add-on plate. I like using Kirk and RRS gear because it is high quality and made in the USA. The Canon/Kirk combination is properly matched and fitted works and perfectly together, that is what I prefer.

Apr 14, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod rings for the Canon 70/300 L IS

You note that the Fotodiox ring is die cast aluminum. I assume that the Canon ring is milled aluminum, which would be stronger all other things equal. (I hope I have used the correct terminology). What you really experienced was an incompatability between the Kirk plate and the Fotodiox ring. It would mount directly on the tripod screw as well as the Canon ring. If you had owned the fotodiox ring first, you may have placed the blame on the Kirk plate. I have a Wimberly plate that has no lip and a long groove through the center which allows for the screw to slide to any midline location on the plate. I assume that I would have no difficulty mounting the Fotodiox ring to this plate. I do agree that you would expect the ring base to be very similar to the Canon one, and not dissimilar. I didn't look for their Amazon listing, but it would be prudent of them to note that their product is not compatable with the Kirk plate since that is a fairly common 3rd party accessory, just like RRS notes that some plates may not be compatible with their lever release.

Apr 14, 2013 at 05:52 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod rings for the Canon 70/300 L IS

I think it is time all long lenses as well as camera bodies come with integrated arca-swiss mount. It doesn't take much to machine an AS dove tail into the foot.

Apr 14, 2013 at 06:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod rings for the Canon 70/300 L IS

JameelH wrote:
I think it is time all long lenses as well as camera bodies come with integrated arca-swiss mount....

I agree.

Maybe there's a licensing issue that the big boys don't want to deal with, and can't afford (in theory) to ignore. Also, there's some big non-A-S brands out there that might not be too happy, not to mention our favourite third-party suppliers that provide the after market A-S compatibility ...

Apr 14, 2013 at 06:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod rings for the Canon 70/300 L IS

It rather sucks that Canon created a new lens ring mount for the 28-300 and 70-300. Now the ring and lenw plate are both needed. I have a pile of nearly a dozen lens plates for A, B and 300/2.8 IS/400/4 DO that continues to grow.

EBH

Apr 14, 2013 at 06:22 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.