Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Increasing the value of art

Lee Wiren
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Increasing the value of art

Not sure if this is the best place to post the question or not. I am preparing to launch my new website with my landscape work. I do plan to offer them for sale using solely the framed metal prints from Bay Photo. These tend to be a bit costly but look magnificent...

My question is, when I set up my site, I don't want to lock myself into selling "limited editions" of my stuff. Granted, If I end up selling any of it at all, it won't be too many and I could probably limit the work and be ok, I just choose not to go that route. So.... how do you offer increased value to your art to the people that choose to buy your works without having limited print runs?

Thanks

Lee

Apr 14, 2013 at 06:34 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Increasing the value of art

Lee Wiren wrote:
So.... how do you offer increased value to your art to the people that choose to buy your works without having limited print runs?

Take really spectacular photos?

Apr 14, 2013 at 09:30 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Increasing the value of art

Take photos that may also prove to have value when used as a tool for blackmail... say a landscape with a banker or politician taking a bribe... or even a discrete photo of a compromising event to be offered along with the purchase of a select piece of art to a potential buyer... ?

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Increasing the value of art

Jefferson wrote:
Take photos that may also prove to have value when used as a tool for blackmail... say a landscape with a banker or politician taking a bribe... or even a discrete photo of a compromising event to be offered along with the purchase of a select piece of art to a potential buyer... ?

Such photos typically only command high value when offered as strictly limited editions, contrary to the original poster's intent.

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Increasing the value of art

The discrete photo would be used to persuade the potential buyer, ie. banker... politcal professional, you would just throw in the questionable photo as an added "free" benefit to the purchase of ... say a landscape... you might have 500 copies of that same photo each to be sold to another buyer along with their own personal "descrete photo".

You could also sell all 500 copies to the same buyer if said "landscape" was the location of an embarassing event that if seen by others would lead to unwanted attention...

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Increasing the value of art

Really people....?

I was hoping for a little better than this..... let's try again.

So.... thinking outside the box of "limited editions", if you wanted to sell your art and have buyers feel like their investment may potentially increase in value, and did not want to do it through the old cliche of "it's a limited edition print", how would YOU do it?

If you question whether or not I am able to take photo's, here is my site... www.prismaticimagery.com. Am I any good... your mileage may vary. I don't think i'm doing terrible, but feel I have a LOOONNG way to go. But beside the point, I wanted to hear some opinions about increasing the value of art in a different fashion than the norm.

Thanks ahead for your well reasoned, mature and professional opinion and advice.

Lee

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Increasing the value of art

Lee Wiren wrote:
...I wanted to hear some opinions about increasing the value of art in a different fashion than the norm.

Really, if the photos are good enough that people want them for art's sake, limited editions are the best way to increase the price of any given image.

If you don't want to limit the editions, then you might consider doing a few limited editions as very high quality, signed and numbered, giclee prints, and then offering the same image in an unlimited series that's process-printed at a smaller size and on lesser -- but still good -- paper.

In your catalog, be sure to list both styles for all images so that buyers of the limited editions don't feel ripped off later if they see the unlimited series. You can also specify an expiration date for the LE prints, and state that the UL series will go on sale only after the LE prints are gone, or something along those lines.

Edited on Apr 15, 2013 at 12:40 AM · View previous versions

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Increasing the value of art

Maybe you should recalibrate your expectations for the quality of responses that you'll get from an online forum. Michael's first response was spot-on. If you offer spectacular photos, you'll sell them. If you don't, you won't.

Jefferson's response fits what I would expect from a terrier; they know what's what.

You have to figure out for yourself where you want to be positioned on the spectrum that starts at 'low cost, high volume' and goes to 'high cost, low volume'. Once you decide where to start on this continuum, you'll soon find out how the market feels about that.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Increasing the value of art

My first reply actually was my serious one. Unless you make your way into a very small elite of famous artists (to get there, it often helps to die young and impoverished), your works aren't going to have super resale value. Sure, some shysters make a decent living conning people with false promises of great "investment value" in schmaltzy hotel art (that will eventually resell for $5 at a yardsale, or be left by the curb before moving house). But I think the one most important thing you can do is keep striving to improve your photography, not worrying about tacking on "value proposition" frills. A strong photograph will sell itself.

One specific comment from checking your website: you might want to work on improving your "web presentation" of images. While I'm sure they look fantastic in actual prints, several of your examples (especially with dark foliage and water, like "Sheppard's Dell") look dark, muddy, and dull in the small on-screen images. It's hard to get exactly right, but you do need different processing for the display capabilities of a typical computer monitor versus a high quality print.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Increasing the value of art

Marketing. Getting known in the market you want to sell to.

Get into galleries, juried shows, and win them.

Provide a view that no one else has both in taking the photo and in PP. Develop a style of presentation that makes you unique.

As a court recently ruled for the banal photographer Eggleston, don't be afraid of limited editions. You can change the dimensions and have another run....

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Increasing the value of art

Bernie wrote:
...the banal photographer Eggleston...

I wish I could command $578,500 for one of my "drearily commonplace and often predictable" photographs!

Apr 15, 2013 at 08:33 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password