New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Walk around bag/PacSafe?

codetalker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Walk around bag/PacSafe?

(I apologize if this has been covered before - I did a search and no previous topics answered my question)

I'm going out of the country for the first time (to Ireland) and was looking for a small bag in order to carry my camera/lens in order to not look too conspicuous/touristy while walking around. I was looking for a small shoulder or sling bag to fit my 5D/24-105 and perhaps also my 17-40 (I think I'll leave my 70-300 at home), along with the usual extra battery, CF cards, etc.

The PacSafe bags looked intriguing with their anti-theft features. I was looking at the Camsafe Venture V12, Camsafe Ventrue V8 and Camsafe 200 models.

Does anyone have experience with these bags or have any other suggestions? Thanks much.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM
PeakPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Walk around bag/PacSafe?

I use a F-stop bag when carrying all my gear. But I also own the LowePro Video DSLR bag when only wanting to carry some stuff. Even though it was designed for video dslrs it works great for photography as well. It doesn't look overly like a photography pack so that's nice.

It's comfy, has a place for a 17" laptop, quick access to one camera body with attached lens (I can fit my 70-200 f/2.8 on it), two extra lenses, and a narrower side spot for a flash/filters/batteries/or whatever you want. It's got a nice roomy top compartment too.

It's this pack here: http://amzn.com/B005MYAHJ8

I've never used any of the PacSafe bags so I can't comment on them.

Andy

Apr 14, 2013 at 02:47 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Walk around bag/PacSafe?

never tried the pacsafe bags, but for Ireland I'd consider them overkill safety-wise. The pacsafe bags are designed to be slash proof and bag-slashing is not something I associate with Ireland. I'd go with a normal-looking messenger bag (Timbuk2, for example) or other neutral-looking shoulder bag (Think Tank retrospective, for example) that you can swing round to the front when in crowded places. Or just buy a camera insert and stick it in a diaper bag for ultimate disguise

Apr 14, 2013 at 07:46 PM
bjornssh
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Walk around bag/PacSafe?

I routinely use a LL Bean Quickload Carry-On Bag with inserts from several "camera" bags for protection. Holds a Canon 1D MIV with one additional "short" lens. Use an old well padded Domke camera bag strap with it. Next best thing to a diaper bag for inconspicuous.

Steve

Apr 14, 2013 at 08:06 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Walk around bag/PacSafe?

Try looking at hiking sites. I purchased a hikers grade fanny pack which has a padded waist belt and shoulder strap. I'm sure it is out of stock being several years old now but it is quite convenient for this sort of thing. It does not scream out camera gear. I can just fit my 5D and 24-70 in it and a small flash. I could put another mid sized zoom on top if I had to.

Apr 15, 2013 at 07:46 AM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Walk around bag/PacSafe?

Hi,

You might look at something like a lowepro exchange messenger bag - On my last several trips I would use my big f-stop bag for hauling all the gear I needed for the gig on the planes and then would stuff one of these in with my clothes to use after I had arrived. Holds a DSLR with lens, another lens or two A/R and a flash with no problems, and its not very conspicuous as a camera bag after you rip the lowepro ad-er, uh, label off the front. Just add a timbuktu strap pad and you're good to go...

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Exchange-Messenger-Camera-Gray/dp/B002PK14VC

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

Apr 15, 2013 at 09:49 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Walk around bag/PacSafe?

If you're worried about thieves, use a diaper bag with a baby bottle hanging off the side. PacSafe bags do resemble diaper bags so not too far off the mark. An earthy Domke F-832 RuggedWear messenger with large Crumpler Haven insert would be my incognito travel choice (label removed of course).

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.