New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Best two camera carrying method

PeakPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best two camera carrying method

So I like to shoot with two cameras, one with either my 16-35 f/2.8 or my 24mm TS-E. The other camera has a 70-200 F/2.8 IS II.

I'm mainly a travel and adventure photographer. So I'm hiking usually and I need to be able to use either camera at a moments notice. Right now both of my cameras have the stock Canon neck straps.. terrible. I've looked at the black rapid dual straps, but I hear they swing a bit and probably wouldn't be the best for hiking.

I know a lot of photographers out there shoot two cameras.. so what do you use?

Andy

Apr 13, 2013 at 08:26 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best two camera carrying method

I'm not too sure for traveling/adventuring, but I know for weddings I use a BlackRapid RS-PRO for my second camera and leave the leash short, and then a Peak Design Capture for my main camera slung over my right shoulder.

Don't use the stock Canon neck straps--I never attached my Nikon ones to my D700 and D800 at all, they're just free advertising for the companies, and too short and un-adjustable (major unhappy points).

If you're shooting with a heavier camera/lens combination but without the battery grip, then consider the Peak Design capture clip plate and just throw it on one of your backpack straps. Not advised for anything heavier than 5 pounds, but I feel safe with my D700 (when no grip) and 85mm 1.4G on it.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best two camera carrying method

MazeRunner wrote:
I'm not too sure for traveling/adventuring, but I know for weddings I use a BlackRapid RS-PRO for my second camera and leave the leash short, and then a Peak Design Capture for my main camera slung over my right shoulder.

Don't use the stock Canon neck straps--I never attached my Nikon ones to my D700 and D800 at all, they're just free advertising for the companies, and too short and un-adjustable (major unhappy points).

If you're shooting with a heavier camera/lens combination but without the battery grip, then consider the Peak Design capture clip plate and just throw it on one of
...Show more
I have no idea why I've used the Canon neck straps for so long. I've actually checked out the Peak design system before and I never thought about using it with a sling strap but that's a great idea. Cool too because my business name is Peak Photography . I'd probably put my wideangle on my belt and my tele on my sling.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Apr 14, 2013 at 01:07 PM
SAng
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best two camera carrying method

R-strap for the 70-200 body. The other body goes on a Spider holster on my left hip.

This is for indoor sports though, might be quite different from your intended purpose. Works great for walking/running around, not that quick on the draw but I haven't found anything I like better...

Apr 14, 2013 at 02:53 PM
rchb

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best two camera carrying method

This is a modular system I use. You can build it up to any level you want including personalized embroidery, tripod scabbard, shooting mat, lens case, and filter pouch. It has a retractable vinyl coated steel cable with quick attachment to a plate that fits between the camera and tripod mount or independently, or lashes to the camera strap loops. I have a standard and a plus unit in applique but I don’t join then together.

http://store.photipherals.com/portability-solutions/

Apr 14, 2013 at 07:47 PM
bjornssh
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best two camera carrying method

Use a belt system.

Steve

Apr 14, 2013 at 07:56 PM
PMMAHONEY

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best two camera carrying method

Bring the wife or girlfriend.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best two camera carrying method

PeakPhoto wrote:
I have no idea why I've used the Canon neck straps for so long. I've actually checked out the Peak design system before and I never thought about using it with a sling strap but that's a great idea. Cool too because my business name is Peak Photography . I'd probably put my wideangle on my belt and my tele on my sling.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Hah, I noticed you had Peak in your name too.

The Peak straps are great, but only if the event isn't too long or if you are taking the DSLR off for a while (I'm assuming we're talking about FX/full frames with pro lenses). That and you don't want to use them as neck straps for heavier gear such as a a full body with a 70-200 2.8.

Personally, I think that if you're using 2 bodies and 2 lenses and maybe have another lens or two you may switch to, I would say perhaps the Lowepro S&F Technical Harness with Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt with the Peak Design straps through the loopholes.

That's if the people hiring you don't mind the vest and all, because sometimes photographers are expected to dress classy if it's a wedding or a real formal event.

Apr 15, 2013 at 01:17 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best two camera carrying method

So I had an idea and wanted to get some feedback on it. What if I got the black rapid double strap, but also my pack has a MOLLE attachment on the belt. So I could put my body with wide angle on the belt with a case and my tele on the black rapid. The reason I'd use the double strap is if I could put the wide angle on the other hook if I knew I didn't want to put it back temporarily. As well at night when I won't have my pack on I wouldn't be moving as much and would be shooting around the dinner table. So then I could have the double strap with both cameras on it.

Just a thought.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best two camera carrying method

I've come to the conclusion that my best system for handling two cameras are my two hands. One camera in each hand is pretty balanced for most situations. When shooting, I simply set one down. I can quickly swap between the two. If I'm going to be walking a lot I'll use my belt system and keep one in the holster pack. The other is in my hand and ready to go. Just never cared for any kind of neck strap.

Rob

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best two camera carrying method

So I ended up buy a peak capture clip system. Really excited for that. Just trying to decide what I want to do for my other camera.. thinking maybe a Black Rapid R-sport strap... anybody ever use one with a backpack?

Apr 23, 2013 at 07:52 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best two camera carrying method

Well, depends why you need two bodies for and the lenses attached.

I usually shoot primes (24/1.4 and 85/1.4) at weddings, but in the case when I have to use a 24/1.4 and 70-200/2.8 VRII, I tether my 70-200 on my D700 in TWO ways: the Peak Design capture clip on the bottom of my 70-200, and the Peak Design (PD) leash on the two anchors for the D700. I shorten (or some would say lengthen) the PD leash for the D700 in such a way so that when the 70-200 is clipped on, there's barely any weight on the leash. The leash at that point just serves as a safety in the .0001% chance that the clip fails somehow (say the belt that the capture is attached to rips or whatever), and keeps it from moving around too much.

That and I just use another PD for my D800 (I prefer to leash my bodies if I'm using a bracket, it's a lot more steady).

Will upload a picture sometime later to show you what I mean... friend is borrowing my PD items.

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:10 AM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best two camera carrying method

too much banging around w/ long straps... E-1 grips are great.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:26 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best two camera carrying method

I sometimes carry two cameras. I use two Optech sling straps, one for each camera. They work great by themselves if I'm not walking or moving around too much. I also use a Peak Design clip mounted on my backpack so I can mount one of the camera securely to 1. take the weight off and 2. move around easily.

Tong Ho Two-Gun by Tongho58, on Flickr

May 01, 2013 at 02:10 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best two camera carrying method

diverhank wrote:
I sometimes carry two cameras. I use two Optech sling straps, one for each camera. They work great by themselves if I'm not walking or moving around too much. I also use a Peak Design clip mounted on my backpack so I can mount one of the camera securely to 1. take the weight off and 2. move around easily.

Thanks Hank... My new setup is similar to what you have. I decided on the Blackrapid Sport though. I have tried the Optech straps in the past and I'm not sure what it is about them but they do not fit me right at all. No matter the adjusting I do (I'm a rather bulky guy though). But the Blackrapid fits like a glove. And the capture clip is great too. I'm currently looking for a simple leash as a just in case to attach to my backpack though. I'll probably end up buying the Peak Design leash eventually.

I'm heading down to the southwest to give this system its first test run so I'll report back on if I like it!

Thanks again everyone!

Andy

May 01, 2013 at 02:46 PM
traveller

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best two camera carrying method

Try the Cotton Carrier system -- perfect for two cameras and the cameras don't swing or bounce even if you are climbing or jumping

Lloyd ........

May 01, 2013 at 02:54 PM
mhilbush
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best two camera carrying method

I've been pleased with the Optech double sling. I typically have a 5D Mark III with a 16-35mm f/2.8 or 24-70mm f/2.8 and a 1D Mark III with a 70-200mm f2.8. This works well in town, and on most hikes except for rugged terrain where the sling allow for too much motion.

http://optechusa.com/double-sling.html

Mark

May 01, 2013 at 08:43 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best two camera carrying method

PeakPhoto wrote:
I'm currently looking for a simple leash as a just in case to attach to my backpack though. I'll probably end up buying the Peak Design leash eventually.

I fashioned a safety strap using something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Connector-Adaptor/dp/B0010HE2CY/ref=pd_cp_p_1

but now I'm using a strap already, the Optech strap is my safety device when mounted to the Peak Capture.

May 02, 2013 at 02:18 PM
goldencode
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best two camera carrying method

Nice weather use the Cotton
Carrier system. For protection in bad weather I use Think Tank Holster Harness, one holster on chest the other on the hip. This works really well for me.

May 19, 2013 at 06:46 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best two camera carrying method

Hi Andy,

When I'm doing a two-camera hiking day it's a 7D with either the 300-800mm or 120-300mm mounted on the Velbon 730 with a Manfrotto gimbal head on my shoulder and the 5D2 and Sigma 24-70mm in my older Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW (carrying extra batteries, cards, lens cloth, blower, etc.)...and off I go.

As for a non-Canon strap, my choice has been the cushy soft, breathable, quick-release, Lowepro Voyager-C.

Hope this helps!

May 20, 2013 at 09:19 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.