Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · flower puzzle

hypotyposis

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · flower puzzle

Hi all,

I need some advice/critique/anything on this simple photo. It's of an unfinished flower puzzle. I'm not sure about if I used the space in the photo effectively, if there's some other way to set it up and how the colors and sharpness are doing. Thanks in advance!

Priscilla

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Copypaste
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · flower puzzle

I think it is what you say, a simple photo. The color looks fine. Overall it is just a bit boring. But keep trying. In my opinion the most important thing in photography is to take a LOT of photos, and slowly you will evolve. Keyword: Patience

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · flower puzzle

As mentioned, it is a simple photo and those can be incredibly powerful at times.

A few things that strike me on this one is that by looking at the image, I have no way of knowing that the two pieces are related specifically as puzzle pieces. Even with being told that they are puzzle pieces, I still can't see how they are supposed to fit together or where there is something missing from the larger portion.

I think there is a nice relationship of scale/weighting involved with the mass of the two pieces, but I'm not too enthused about their compositional placement being essentially side by side (both visually on the centerline of the image).

I might try to reposition the pieces such that they present in a less static way. Showing the missing portion of the larger piece is where I'd start. Then I'd look for the leading lines to connect it with smaller piece and consider foreshortening to emphasize/de-emphasize as desired .. which btw, I see your use of dof to similarly present.

On a different note, there seems to be some artifacts on the larger piece to be wary of ... or maybe they are just specular highlights.

I think you should revisit the image, but ask yourself "What's the point?" or "What's the message that I want to convey to my viewer? Then allow those answers to influence your decision making using the compositional elements involved.

HTH, looking forward to seeing more.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · flower puzzle

RustyBug wrote:
As mentioned, it is a simple photo and those can be incredibly powerful at times.

A few things that strike me on this one is that by looking at the image, I have no way of knowing that the two pieces are related specifically as puzzle pieces. Even with being told that they are puzzle pieces, I still can't see how they are supposed to fit together or where there is something missing from the larger portion.

I think there is a nice relationship of scale/weighting involved with the mass of the two pieces, but I'm not too enthused about their
...Show more

+1... Kent has made some excellent suggestions

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hypotyposis

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · flower puzzle

Thanks for the feedback guys!! I realize it may seem too simple and lacks meaning because I had also planned on having a phrase on the bottom of the photo (closer to the single piece) but didn't include it because I wanted to play around the image first. I'll try to redo it so people can see what the piece in the back is rather it being out of focus... so hopefully it makes sense that they actually connect together.

Kent, where do you see the artifacts?

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · flower puzzle

Kent, where do you see the artifacts?

About a dozen little white specks throughout the large piece.

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:46 PM
hypotyposis

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · flower puzzle

RustyBug wrote:
About a dozen little white specks throughout the large piece.

OH, thank you. i'll take those out if it comes up again. Thanks again!

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:48 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · flower puzzle

Without the explanation I wouldn't have understood it was a puzzle with a piece missing, in part because I've never seen a puzzle like that.

What would make it easier to understand would be to put the missing piece in the lower right corner oriented in the direction it needs to fit into the puzzle.

What also makes it difficult to figure out is that where the piece fits doesn't contrast with the rest of the puzzle. If you have Photoshop you could remedy that with some masking / alteration of the spot where the piece fits, such as making it lighter or less saturated than the other parts.

You might also add some interest by using the "keyhole" lighting often used for bottles in advertising. Put a hole in the seamless under the puzzle (not seen by camera) with flash below it.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password