New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Self Portraits

davidthejr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Self Portraits

Tried taking some self portraits, and as I never took portraits of any kind before, taking portraits of myself was a bit of a stretch! Also this is one of my first times trying to take pictures in manual mode. :/

All photos taken with a Nikon D90 and the 18-55 kit lens.

Comments and critique greatly appreciated!!

Still new to posting so if you see anything that I should do different please let me know!

2 by davidthejr, Focal Length 32mm, ISO 200, Aperture F/8.0, Shutter Speed 1/1000

3 by davidthejr, Focal Length 55mm, ISO 200, Aperture F/8.0, Shutter Speed 1/1000

5 by davidthejr, Focal Length 55mm, ISO 200, Aperture F/10, Shutter Speed 1/1000

Apr 13, 2013 at 03:14 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Self Portraits

Poses are relaxed and natural looking with angled shoulders, arms and legs. Be mindful of he angle of the hands to the camera. Best to put the hands in a relaxed "fist" vs. splayed fingers, and avoid the hands over crotch "figleaf" pose by resting them on the knees when sitting.

Direct sun doesn't work very well as a "key" light in portraits because the subject squint when it's put in the eyes. The camera also can't handle the contrast between the highlight and shaded areas.

As for lighting direction the face is turned away from the light putting the far side mostly in shadow because it's difficult to look into the sun. Try open shade next time. The light will have direction, but it will be more subtle and the camera will be able to handle the contrast.

Apr 13, 2013 at 04:09 PM
davidthejr
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Self Portraits

Thanks a lot!!

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Self Portraits

Self portraits can be quite challenging. You have all the problems of making a good portrait, plus the technical challenges of being the subject whilst making the shot.

Biggest problem with these is the harsh light of direct sun. Now only does it cast harsh shadows, it makes the subject squint. Generally, unless you're doing a Clint Eastwood homage, squinting isn't good. Also, it's generally safest to keep the camera at the same level as the eyes. One of the most common portrait mistakes is allowing the subject to take a slumping pose. Posture when seated is nearly always important. Yes, it doesn't feel relaxed, but it make the pose more appealing when the subject's back is straight. In addition, background clutter is a distraction, generally. Occasionally, if the clutter carries part of the message of the portrait, it's acceptable, but for most portraits it's a negative. Simplify the background. Clean it up. Place it out of focus. Modify the lighting to make it much darker than the subject. Do what you can to separate the subject from the background because the subject ought to be the message of the image.

Apr 15, 2013 at 04:01 PM
davidthejr
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Self Portraits

Thanks!!

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:50 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.