8I4I0256 by jni-ss, on Flickr

10)

8I4I9884 (3) by jni-ss, on Flickr

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

You absolutely nailed these. Hard to pick a fave. Each one better than the next. To nail #5 though... that's rare. Both in sync, both in focus... yeah, if I had to pick... that would be the one.

Apr 13, 2013 at 01:12 PM
Jeff Napier
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Thanks Paul, that was one of my favorites to and yes a rareity for sure. Now lets see your artwork! See you soon my friend.

Apr 13, 2013 at 01:49 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Nice series Jeff color and exposure look great ! For some reason #9 Stands out to me, maybe it's the odd inverted position, but I like it.

Andy

Apr 13, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Jeff Napier
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Thanks Andy, good to hear from you. I hope all is well.

Apr 13, 2013 at 06:38 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Great set Jeff. Very athletic and enthusiastic. I enjoyed them all. It looks like it would be really tough trying to cover/isolate the bases, though.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM
TwoKooL

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Jeff, those are great action shots. Not only the moves but the athletes facial expersison as well. Great work! #5 is the one I prefer. True that it's hard to get the synch out of this kind of jump.

Keep them coming!

Apr 14, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Jeff Napier
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Thanks guys I am working on some from Day 2 that hopefully I can post soon. Really looking to Pauls work from this event also.
There are more from Day 2 on my facebook page at the link below if your interested.

Apr 14, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Great set of work...#5 is my fave...

Chris

Apr 14, 2013 at 04:51 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Wow Jeff! great series...picking favs #5 and 9

Apr 15, 2013 at 08:01 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Great stuff!

I am going with the audience on this one, best are 5 and 9, but they are all great!

Paul

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM
knight13
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

#5 in insane. That shot is almost impossible to get. To get one girl in focus looking up takes serious timing and a bit of luck. To get them both is unheard of.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Jeff Napier
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Thanks all, I sometimes wish I had something other than a laptop to edit on butI don't lol...

Knight, will you be going to Worlds again this year? What team is your daughter on agian?

Apr 15, 2013 at 01:52 PM
knight13
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Jeff Napier wrote:
Knight, will you be going to Worlds again this year? What team is your daughter on agian?

Yep, I'll be there but I've given up my freedom this year. I'll be shooting whatever Hammy tells me to shoot this year.

My daughter used to cheer for the Orlando Allstars and I occasionaly still shoot for them.

Apr 15, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Jeff Napier
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Cool! freedoms overrated at Worlds. We'll see you soon then.

Apr 15, 2013 at 03:30 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Tom... see you soon.

Apr 15, 2013 at 05:05 PM
knight13
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

P Alesse wrote:
Tom... see you soon.

CAN'T WAIT!!!

I'm already hoarding up a stockpile of 800mg ibuprofen.

I did learn last weekend I need to tape my zoom ring finger...I still can't feel it.

Apr 15, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Jeff... as an adjunct to my question on your other similar thread... Which sells better? The "action portraits" in your other similar thread of this same event, or the above "action antics" (or "athletics" or "moments" or "flyers" or what have you).

Or is it 50/50?

Apr 22, 2013 at 05:52 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Since most of you guys seem to work together (ie "see you soon" etc)... I'd appreciate anyone else's comments as far as sales go also. Here we have the same photographer (Jeff Napier) at the same event having posted two separate "look at what I shot" threads that uniquely and clearly reveal two entirely different styles of shooting.

This is a perfect scenario to consider the following question when it comes to cheer, because the variables of photographer and event have been eliminated, and the quality of both types of shots posted have equal praise and ratification here by the folks who shoot this sport all the time.

So ... which type of shots at this level of photographer quality sell more... the close up animated faces or the full body jumping around type of shots?

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:00 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 2013 NCA/NDA Cheer Nationals Day 2

Focus Locus wrote:
Since most of you guys seem to work together (ie "see you soon" etc)... I'd appreciate anyone else's comments as far as sales go also. Here we have the same photographer (Jeff Napier) at the same event having posted two separate "look at what I shot" threads that uniquely and clearly reveal two entirely different styles of shooting.

This is a perfect scenario to consider the following question when it comes to cheer, because the variables of photographer and event have been eliminated, and the quality of both types of shots posted have equal praise and ratification here by
...Show more

Variety and volume is the key. You want to get as many different types of shots of as many athletes as possible in a 3 minute time span. Therefore, with three photogs per stage, each one has a specific responsibility and often times we have different types of lenses and shooting styles. We work together as a team. Whereas Jeff might be shooting that tight "tada" finish after a tumbling pass on his side with max zoom and focused on the facial, I might be hitting up that same tumbler going cross mat, full length head to toe. Similarly, Jeff might be hitting up flyers on his side with a variety of head to toe and tight shots, I might be going tight on the bases on his side.

The key is variety and volume because inevitably you goal is to sell the team on a CD. Because of that, there is no steadfast rule, per se, but if had to choose between the two... isolated and tight is what parents want. Recently at an event, Hammy was sharing a story where a flyer was up in her base doing a scorpion and the BG complemented the entire frame. So, artistically, it made sense for Hammy's company to include that piece of the BG to complete the photo aesthetically. However, by going wider, it also included another flyer and the parent didn't want that. She wanted her daughter all by herself and didn't care about how the BG complemented her move.

I don't think there is such a thing as too tight... at least I haven't heard it yet. Not with cheer. With dance... it's a little different, but again, variety is the key. Finally, we are at the crossroads where there are a lot of pro cameras in the audience. Long glass and our proximity to the stage has to set us apart from what parents are getting. With that in mind... my goal is to get eyeballs, as shown below from the last event.

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.