1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · D800 or EOS 6D?

DaveOls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D800 or EOS 6D?

Snegron
The new computers have Windows 8 now, not 7. I've heard a lot of poor ratings from people on the web about W 8. I don't know if you can go down to W7 if the computer has W8. Might be worthwhile looking into.
I would also consider the D 700 since it is much more forgiving than a D 800/e.

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:15 AM
Hulot
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D800 or EOS 6D?

DaveOls wrote:
the D 700 since it is much more forgiving than a D 800/e.

how so?

Apr 17, 2013 at 09:23 AM
Hulot
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D800 or EOS 6D?

snegron wrote:
CS6. I think it is a ridiculously over priced program, but I don't think I have much of a choice. ..

you could always use Photoshop Elements/LR or one of the many open source programms. As of today Linux (ubuntu) and Gimp has become a good solution and does not require overhuman learning skills to understand

Apr 17, 2013 at 09:29 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D800 or EOS 6D?

Pretty impressed with LR5 beta. The need for CS6 is further reduced. If they throw layers in the final product, I could get by nicely without CS6.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D800 or EOS 6D?

Hulot wrote:
how so?

I've heard that the D700 is more forgiving than the D800 from other posters. Not sure which photo forums it was on. Part of it may be lower number of pixels which do not tax you lenses as much.

Apr 17, 2013 at 04:13 PM
snegron
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D800 or EOS 6D?

Frogfish wrote:
A lot of good advice already but I'll throw my 2c into the ring :

Windows - don't upgrade to 8 or 8.5 simply for processing photos, you've already got an older system you've been happy with, no need to go to the latest, greatest and buggiest ! Stay with a stable system that covers your needs (Win 7 perhaps, with one of the latest two versions of LR, not though the Beta 5 out now). Buy a remote HD (no need for a SSD, a fast 2TB HD will work just fine and they are relatively cheap now) to store
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback!

The idea of Windows upgrade in my case is more for the purpose of forward software compatibility. I'm sure that in a year or two Adobe will team up with Microsoft to ensure that whatever new version of ACR won't be compatible with any older Windows version. Many current programs today require Service Pack 3 on XP in order to install. My impression is that Adobe and others have XP at the edge of a cliff and are more than eager to push it over the edge to its demise as soon as possible. My gut feeling is that software companies are designing everything with social media sharing potential. They assume that everyone is on Facebook and wishes to share snapshots from iphones and tablets. While many of us prefer our imaging software (and operating systems) to work toward creating the best possible image, we are quickly shrinking as a marketable group. In other words, I hate the idea of Windows 8, but I believe I will soon have no choice but to buy into it if I want to purchase and use future programs. I feel like sheep being force fed by Adobe and Microsoft.

That nagging leak issue with the D600 is something that concerns me. I would feel way more comfortable considering the D600 if Nikon were to make some press release indicating what is causing the issue and what they are doing to correct it.

The D700 is starting to look more attractive. I haven't seen any new/old stock on any online retailers recently though. Still looking!

As far as the lenses, I like the lenses you mentioned. I would also not want to part with any of my manual focus AIS lenses either. Not sure how they will perform on a full frame camera, but I have had great luck with them on my D200 and old film cameras.

I agree with you 100% regarding weddings! No matter what camera I end up buying, I will always have a D200 with 17-55mm 2.8 in the bag as back up. My idea is to use a full frame camera for the ceremony (in the church), then use the D200 for all the action shots of the reception. That way I wouldn't have to worry much about shooting large files for everything; the large files (most likely to be selected by the B&G for enlargements) would be shot with the full frame.

I do also like your idea of two D700's though!

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:04 PM
snegron
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · D800 or EOS 6D?

rffffffff wrote:
You're going down a slippery slope!

you're going to have to keep with the adobe software updates when you buy a new camera each time, or waste hours converting to DNG, then editing, but go for windows 7! I build my own computers, so its easy for me to say, but I wouldn't buy a windows 8 box yet if they paid me!

By the time I'm ready to dish out all the cash necessary for my Windows XP to 7 upgrade, I'm sure Microsoft will be unveiling Windows 9!

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:14 PM
snegron
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · D800 or EOS 6D?

CGrindahl wrote:
I second the suggestion to focus on a D700. It produces only slightly larger files than the D200 so you won't fall into computer purgatory. It is full frame and continues to be a great performer. I used a friend's D800 for a week and came away convinced that I don't need 36 megapixel files. And, having shot with the D700 I wouldn't be happy with the smaller, less well appointed D600, which has proved troublesome for some folks. I don't think you'd be happy with that camera either, given your history with the D200. It was using the D200
...Show more

Thanks! It seems that many folks are in agreement with you regarding the D700. I am definitely going to focus my research on the D700. The 28-70 seems to still command a high price, even used! Years ago when I purchased my 17-55 I was debating whether to go with the 28-70. I ended up going with the 17-55. Had I known then what I know now...

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:22 PM
snegron
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · D800 or EOS 6D?

playerofwar wrote:
Seems like some people have never worked with windows8... It's like a turbocharged window7, it's faster, most stable OS yet and supports nealy all special hardware natively (ssd's in particular). It has build in anti-virus and it's nice to work with when you get used to it. The switch from OSx to win8 was a blast for me (first ran it on my 27" 2012 imac and now on a 1500€ Dell (1/3 the price of my imac and much faster) with 2 24" screens and a Dell xps 12 (best tablet/laptop ever)).
Why not just Lighroom 4 and no CS6?

I have never used LR. Prior to CS2 I had an older version of Photoshop (before Adobe started using the "CS" designation) and messed around with Elements. I'm guessing that the only reason I'm only thinking about CS6 is because I'm used to using Photoshop in one form or another. I would like to try LR4, but I've been told that it won't run with my current XP set up.

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:30 PM
snegron
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · D800 or EOS 6D?

DaveOls wrote:
Snegron
The new computers have Windows 8 now, not 7. I've heard a lot of poor ratings from people on the web about W 8. I don't know if you can go down to W7 if the computer has W8. Might be worthwhile looking into.
I would also consider the D 700 since it is much more forgiving than a D 800/e.

Thanks! I think most Windows operating systems are buggy when first released. I had a lap top with Vista when it was first released; it too was horrible. I returned it after a couple of days and went back to XP. My guess is that Microsoft will either update 8 to "8 point something", or scrap it all together and go to Windows 9. Of course, whatever change they make will be done a few weeks after I spend money on buying the bad system...

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:35 PM
snegron
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · D800 or EOS 6D?

Hulot wrote:
you could always use Photoshop Elements/LR or one of the many open source programms. As of today Linux (ubuntu) and Gimp has become a good solution and does not require overhuman learning skills to understand

I have been told that the current LR is not compatible with XP. As soon as I upgrade to a newer OS I will download a trial version of LR before buying CS6. Thanks!

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:37 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · D800 or EOS 6D?

If you have any doubt about how MF Nikkors will fare on the D700 or D600 or D800 for that matter, you might want to check out the last few hundred pages of the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread in this Nikon forum. I shoot exclusively with MF lenses and they perform beautifully on the D700. One of the regulars on that thread has a Ph.D. in aeronautical engineering and he is eternally evaluating lenses and sharing his work. He recently bought a D800 and there are a few of the older lenses that don't hold up at 36 megapixels, but the better lenses are very happy with the latest DSLR cameras. Keep your MF Nikkors for sure, and after you've found your D700, drop a few photos taken with them on that thread. It is the busiest thread on FM.

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · D800 or EOS 6D?

I have been following this thread with interest since I also have the "new camera" bug. But I wouldn't plan on actually using the D200 much if you do wind up getting one of the Nikon cameras with the new sensors. I ordered my D7000 almost as soon as they were released. I kept my D200 as a backup. Other than just playing with the D200 and making sure it still functions, I have only used it once and I really didn't need to. I just didn't think the photos stood up well to the D7000's pics. But it was a lower light situation (wedding). Have any of your wedding clients expressed any interest in video? Some of the guys that do weddings on a regular basis tell me that everyone wants them to shoot video. If your clients have asked about it, that might limit your decision to the D600, D800.

Also, have you looked into the Adobe Creative Cloud for software? I had a recent upgrade so I was eligible for a pretty good deal. But you can get all of the programs and latest upgrades as soon as they become available, probably for less money than buying just the upgrade for PS CS6. I think you will need a computer with a 64 bit OS, however.

Apr 17, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · D800 or EOS 6D?

snegron wrote:
That nagging leak issue with the D600 is something that concerns me. I would feel way more comfortable considering the D600 if Nikon were to make some press release indicating what is causing the issue and what they are doing to correct it.

That would be wishful thinking I'm afraid as camera manufacturers just don't do that e.g. Canon with the 70-200 2.8 IS II gear slippage, Pentax with the K5 sensor marks, Sigma with the 120-300 OS failures or Nikon with D600 oil ..... there is a much longer list those are just examples. They don't make statements just, we hope, quietly fix the issues.
Fact is though that the actual number of defective cameras/lenses is still low in comparison to sales, the industry average for a defective camera being around 5% anyway.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · D800 or EOS 6D?

You need to get "Hands On".
If possible, go to a camera store that has all the cameras that you are interested in.

I have had a 5D2, D200 and D3.
I now have a D7100, D600, and D800.
Without looking at Pictures or Specs, I would choose the D800.
It is the most comfortable and the controls are in the right place.
This is also true of the D3, but it is too heavy for me,
and the D4 is way beyond my budget.

Don't be afraid of buying used if you get a money back guarentee.
A D700 would allow more money to buy the mint Pro Glass
that would be your best investment.

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:02 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · D800 or EOS 6D?

I was so seriously thinking of getting a D600 and selling my D700. I even have it listed here and on CL. However, the ONLY reason I would get the D600 is due to the increased dynamic range.

Now, I really don't care if I upgrade at this point to a D600. My camera is phenomenal and the DR is still "pretty" amazing, and it teams up with the Samyang phenomenally. I have no doubts that if I need to ever print super large, I will still be ok.

Another shot taken with the said kit, a few weeks ago. If you haven't already, go to a camera shop and hold BOTH the D600 and D800. The D800 is pretty close to the D700 in terms of ergonomics.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-movk8MJHqiQ/UW4TZOCRIMI/AAAAAAAAHxs/J8Zfl7T4-fw/s800/Thors-AM.jpg

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · D800 or EOS 6D?

Frogfish wrote:
That would be wishful thinking I'm afraid as camera manufacturers just don't do that e.g. Canon with the 70-200 2.8 IS II gear slippage, Pentax with the K5 sensor marks, Sigma with the 120-300 OS failures or Nikon with D600 oil ..... there is a much longer list those are just examples. They don't make statements just, we hope, quietly fix the issues.
Fact is though that the actual number of defective cameras/lenses is still low in comparison to sales, the industry average for a defective camera being around 5% anyway.

Just FYI, I sold my D600 after getting the D7100 for the use I wanted it for. The person who purchased it said he could see something in the extreme corner of a blue sky shot at F22. I offered to pay for the return and he said he would send it to Nikon instead. So, Nikon get the cam, confirm there is an issue, replace the shutter assay. and clean the sensor.

I would have to say that is the behind the scenes way for them to correct the issue and really only have to deal with the actual cases of real issues.

Honestly, if I had not owned one, I might give pause due to the "oil" issue, but I have owned one and frankly the issue is a non issue for 95% of shooters IMO. When it is a real issue, send it to Nikon and they WILL do what is needed to rectify it, thus making it a non issue again.

Apr 18, 2013 at 01:25 PM
Hulot
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · D800 or EOS 6D?

DaveOls wrote:
I've heard that the D700 is more forgiving than the D800 from other posters. Not sure which photo forums it was on. Part of it may be lower number of pixels which do not tax you lenses as much.

it is the other way round. more px give you more headroom to correct lens distortions, from a printing perspective at least. you can check photozone.de. the more the sensor resolves, the better the lens has testet

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:26 PM
rffffffff
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · D800 or EOS 6D?

I think 'forgiveness' with a camera, unless you are talking about pulling down blown highlights in raw files, which some do better than others, is a really silly thing to think about... a 36mp camera will be less forgiving at 100% because there's more data to see the problems, but will forgive more if you need to crop. It will forgive less when you look at noise in big prints, but it will forgive more when you shrink a print down small and average the data...

I know one thing for sure, though, the D800 is not forgiving at all on my PC or hard drive and card space! I shot with 8gb cards with the D700 and D3, and now I am nervous if I don't have a 32gb card in the D800!

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:03 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.