Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · blur vignette with strobes and low shutter

marcuz5

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · blur vignette with strobes and low shutter

I am shooting a fasion show outside and I have two alien bee strobes I am shooting with.. I need to shoot ISO200 4.0 with a 1/60 shutterspeeed... But I am getting a color/blur vignette around the girls.. Anyone know what that could be?

1st Alien bee is around 3/4 power the other 1/4 for some fill

thanks!

Mark

Apr 13, 2013 at 03:45 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · blur vignette with strobes and low shutter

Your slow shutter speed is allowing ambient light and subject motion to bleed into your capture. Do you need to shoot at 1/60 to blend with ambient lighting in the room? Or could you shoot tighter, avoid much of the ambient room, and shoot at, say 1/200 or whatever your maximum sync speed is? The less you let the ambient influence your exposure, the less of this condition you'll have.

Apr 13, 2013 at 04:49 AM
marcuz5

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · blur vignette with strobes and low shutter

Yeah I figured that might be it. Usually with my 580EX this doesn't happen so much but it is broken... I may try to bump up the shutter, just wanted to let more ambient in foor mood is all.. Thanks!

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · blur vignette with strobes and low shutter

marcuz5 wrote:
I may try to bump up the shutter, just wanted to let more ambient in foor mood is all.

You can keep your desired ambient exposure while upping the shutter speed if you compensate with an equal increase in either ISO setting or aperture...or both.

For example:

ISO 200, f/4, 1/60 (original numbers)
ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/125
ISO 400, f/4, 1/125
ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/250
ISO 800, f/4, 1/250
etc.

The above all result in the same exposure value, and are thus equivalent exposures.

You will then need only to re-meter your strobes for the new ISO or aperture settings and you'll be good to go. The Alien Bees can go down to 1/32 power, so since you're currently at 3/4 and 1/4 respectively you still have plenty of adjustment range (at least 3 stops) to work with.

(The reason you need to re-meter the strobes, even when making counter-balancing adjustments to aperture/ISO and shutter speed, is that flash is unaffected by shutter speed changes within the normal sync range.)

Apr 13, 2013 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password