Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gea...

Ronny Mills
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

...and people who rant twice....in a row...

Apr 18, 2013 at 06:43 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

+2, Ronnie

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:10 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

"I rant, therefore I am."
- Dennis Miller

Too many try to emulate him.

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:46 PM
digitallight

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

castlekeeper01 wrote:
Well, I see I'm probably one of the irritating FMers being talked about. I think some of y'all are being unreasonable and harsh.

First of all, if you are in a hurry - that's your problem, not the buyer's. They have every right to ask as many questions and take as much time as they like. Just as you have the right to ask for their money right now or you will work with another buyer.

Unless I misunderstood the OP and those who sympathized with him, the issue isn't the seller being in a hurry. The issue is a supposedly interested prospective buyer who makes inquiries which are duly responded to by the seller, only to have the buyer seemingly disappear. Common sense or etiquette would call for the buyer to- upon having his questions/requests for pics satisfied- either commit to moving forward, or communicate alternate intentions to the seller.

Cut people a little slack. Folks are busy. They have jobs, family, crappy internet connections, lousy transportation. Not everyone has a smart phone. There are a million legitimate reasons why a buyer may be delayed getting back to you.

Then there are those who are unsure of their choice. Cold feet. Scared to pull the trigger. Just indecisive. Or perhaps like me, they just aren't in a hurry.

That is perfectly reasonable. Another perfectly reasonable thing would be for prospective buyers to be considerate and inform a seller if they will be slow to respond for any reason, or if they simply need more time to decide. I doubt the OP would have had an issue with the buyer if he had just communicated what he wanted to do- just as you advise sellers to do when you say:

As others have said above, you are free to choose the pace of communication/deal you desire - just let them know. Ask for what you want.

I know your rant was just a response to the OP's rant, but I don't think you got his point. Just as you deem it reasonable for buyers to expect answers, product pics, etc., it is reasonable for sellers to expect buyers to be upfront and communicative. There is no pressure on you to buy, but be considerate and understand that there are likely other interested buyers and a seller's ability to deal fairly with all of them is hampered when a buyer isn't responsive.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:11 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

It was said well enough that posting it twice is not a terrible thing...

It took me some time before I had enough understanding of the market for photo gear and for the workings of this site before I moved past the kicking the tires stage. I was one of the "cold feet" category. I couldn't imagine spending big bucks for a camera lens, for example. But with time and experience I learned despite my rather modest means, to spend money like a champ. I know along the way i tried to squeeze every penny, work every angle to get the best deal possible. That is not a bad thing, of course. But my behavior may have frustrated a few sellers.

Eventually, I came to know the market well enough and to have a sufficiently deep appreciation for the feedback mechanism on FM that i could plunge right in. I found a great many fine partners with whom I did transactions. Of course, by then I'd invested a bit in the community of photographers hanging out here. FM became more than simply a marketplace. From that perspective, it was easy to consider those with whom I would do deals as folks worthy of respect. I now do more deals off the Buy and Sell board than on it simply because I've made friends with whom to exchange treasured gear.

I appreciate that it can be frustrating dealing with those our castlekeeper has identified. He gives great advice when he says we need to be very clear about our expectations of buyers and when they don't perform, simply move on. Glad you found a buyer Mike. You found a live one...

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:13 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

Potential buyers like castlekeeper01 are why I prefer to sell my stuff on eBay.

Apr 20, 2013 at 03:41 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

I think the "ask for what you want" is the key here.

Any time you sell things, you should expect to get the "tire kickers." This is inevitable and is the price of selling anything, anywhere, anytime. There are plenty of times where I look at a description and think, "really?"

I just have to shake my head when someone takes grainy cell phone pictures of their exotic telephoto, or posts a description and says, "pictures to come later," or has their expensive gear listed with a few words like "regular marks from use" with no details. The best way to avoid tire kickers is to put up a thorough and well thought out description and take good, detailed photos.

Otherwise, just set boundaries. Need a quick payment? State that. Not willing to take extra photos? Just politely decline. This isn't unique to FM; plenty of eBayers are a pain in the neck. The people who commit and disappear are simply rude, but setting limits will reduce the amount it impacts you, and those who are asking questions or for photos are NOT committed and, while it'd be polite to state they're not interested, I guess I just don't hang my hopes on them unless they've said "I'll take it."

Edited on Apr 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

binary visions wrote:
I think the "ask for what you want" is the key here.

Any time you sell things, you should expect to get the "tire kickers." This is inevitable and is the price of selling anything, anywhere, anytime. There are plenty of times where I look at a description and think, "really?"

I just have to shake my head when someone takes grainy cell phone pictures of their exotic telephoto, or posts a description and says, "pictures to come later." The best way to avoid tire kickers is to put up a thorough and well thought out description and take good, detailed
...Show more

Again, this thread did not originate because of a seller not wanting to be accommodative or demanding a quick commitment/sale. It has to do with people stating that they want to make the purchase, and then disappearing. None of the above is relevant.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

mitesh wrote:
Again, this thread did not originate because of a seller not wanting to be accommodative or demanding a quick commitment/sale. It has to do with people stating that they want to make the purchase, and then disappearing. None of the above is relevant.

Why do so many forum participants refuse to accept that threads can drift in topics just like conversations can drift? Did you read the rest of the thread, or did you just read the OP, skip to the end, and dismiss what I had to say?

Also, "ask for what you want" is entirely relevant to the OP.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM
kinconorb
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

Mickey wrote:
the ones that ask for pictures taken of it, with it, etc, etc never to come back.......

Posting photos should be a GIVEN! If you're selling a lens or camera even if you describe the item as brand new, its just common sense to post an actual photo of the gear you're selling! I hate it when people list gear for sale with no photos! This is a photography website, take out the damn camera and shoot a quick photo doesn't need to be studio quality.

Apr 20, 2013 at 02:25 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

My all time favorite is people asking "do you still have...?"
I write back that yes I have it, And they vanish into the mist, never to be heard from again...

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Jayem1
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

Interesting. But that's only onesided story...

I saw a member who had light stands listed for sale and asked if they were still available with intention to buy, then he seemed to show an attitude toward my inquiry and not seem interested in making the sale. No big deal on my end if he doesn't want to sell to me.

Just want to make it straight, this person didn't reply back saying yes he has it. Instead, his reply was 'Did you want to buy them of just find out if I still have them?' which I thought was odd. Why would I ask if I was not at least interested in buying? And I didn't 'vanish into mist' and replied 'with the intention to buy if that was what you were asking...' even though at that point I clearly sensed something not quite friendly. Not heard back for nearly a day, I asked again. Another day no answer. Finally, he asked 'Would you like to buy the lightstands?' This time I lost all my interest in dealing with him and vanished into the mist... Sorry, but I don't have to put up with this.

Apr 29, 2013 at 04:35 AM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

If an item is listed as available, not marked sold, why waste everyone's time asking if its available? You did not say anything about an intent to buy them, just asked if they were available. I received at least 6 similar inquiries. It grows old very fast. State your intentions, don't ASSume.

You second reply was this; (). If you cannot state exactly what is is you want, I'm not here to read your mind

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Jayem1
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

But it looks like you are the one who ASSumed. I replied because you didnt say anything after I expressed my intention to buy and I couldnt read your mind.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

If you can't cope with someone inquiring about availability, might I suggest that you stop selling items here and move straight to auction-style eBay selling?

I don't mean that in a disparaging way, just that these are fairly normal human interactions. "Is this still available?" "Yes." This was a five second response. 6 similar inquiries totals 30 seconds worth of your time. Is this really so noteworthy or exasperating? It may not be marked as sold because you haven't gotten to it yet, or you're awaiting payment, or you've gotten payment but haven't packed it up.

In any event, your two posts contained 564 characters (including spaces), so you spent the same amount of time required to respond to 141 "is it available?" inquiries if you want to punctuate properly, or 188 inquiries if you leave off the period.

Apr 29, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Jayem1
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Love these people who say they are interested in your gear for sale

As a long time member, I have been on both sides and did tens of thousands $ buying and selling here, large and small. I can understand OP's frustrations, and I have experienced the fair share myself. But, I consider it a part of buying and selling in a market place like this. There are all kinds of buyers and sellers unavoidably. I try to let it go and move on.

I have not actively engaged in buying and selling here lately. But I have moved quite a bit of photo gears through eBay and through local listings.

May 01, 2013 at 03:25 AM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password