Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

I just got done with a few days in Capital Reef and specifically at the Temple of the Sun and Moon. I got some great conditions, one of the best being that I didn't see anyone out there for over 2 days. Now this shot is actually from about a month ago, I figured I had better post it before I got to processing some shots from this more recent trip.

It was cold there, you can see the look of frost on the brush and grass. There were no clouds that trip, so I tried to focus on the ground more to add interest since there was nothing in the sky.

All thoughts and comments are welcome.

Jim

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Brilliant shot Jim!

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

another stunner Jim. Your images have such a clean, perfect look to them, they are always so well presented. Thanks for sharing this one.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Very nice shot Jim
Any more frost & I would think you were in Alaska

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Looks good Jim. I like the composition and focusing on the foreground was a good move. I think the overall scene is interesting and beautiful that the cloudless sky doesn't really detract from it at all.

Jason

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Just beautiful..!!!

Apr 12, 2013 at 01:01 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Striking image.

Apr 12, 2013 at 01:16 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Fantastic. I am heading that way next month, is there places to camp near the Temples?

Apr 12, 2013 at 01:56 PM
bktools
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Hi Jim,

Really a great capture and composition of that monument with splendid light and color. I was in that area several years ago, coming through from Cathedral Valley. Memorable trip in all respects.

Bob

Apr 12, 2013 at 02:15 PM
S Barth
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Beautiful shot! Love the frost and cracked mud! Looks like something yellow blooming despite the frost. Thanks!

-Steve

Apr 12, 2013 at 02:19 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Beautiful shot Jim, well composed and presented.
David

Apr 12, 2013 at 02:43 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

I loved it just from reading the title! So jealous. What is a camera again?

Apr 12, 2013 at 02:58 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

That twilight glow on the landscape is freakin awesome. Looks like your processing picked up a notch too. Great work with the simple scene.

aF

Apr 12, 2013 at 03:00 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Beautiful light you've captured here Jim. I really like the depth created by that wonderful light, and the gradient in the sky.

Apr 12, 2013 at 03:24 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Dude that is sweet! I really like your style of shooting and the lighting you use creates a great mood. This is a neat place.

Todd

Apr 12, 2013 at 03:26 PM
PKuglin
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Nice FG and comp Jim

Apr 12, 2013 at 03:53 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

Travis Rhoads wrote:
another stunner Jim. Your images have such a clean, perfect look to them, they are always so well presented. Thanks for sharing this one.

Thanks so much Travis, I am really glad you liked this and I appreciate your description, I think you made my head swell up a few notches...

Jim

Apr 12, 2013 at 03:55 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

dswiger wrote:
Very nice shot Jim
Any more frost & I would think you were in Alaska

Thanks Dan, I am glad you liked it. Yeah, one would have almost thought I was in Alaska, though this last trip, I was really thinking that I was in Alaska! Several hours of driving in a heavy snow storm in the evening with minimal visibility. Often driving only about 30 miles an hour on I-70 as I was forced to follow right behind snow plows... I thought for sure I would have a winter wonderland wating for me in Capital Reef, but for some reason, the snow engulfed Bryce Canyon, etc, but did not really fall in Capital Reef, at least not out in Cathedral Valley.

Jim

Apr 12, 2013 at 03:59 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

roguecoolman wrote:
Looks good Jim. I like the composition and focusing on the foreground was a good move. I think the overall scene is interesting and beautiful that the cloudless sky doesn't really detract from it at all.

Jason

Thanks Jason, I appreciate your thoughts. For as beautiful as the foreground is, it's very delicate too, every footstep is seen. So while trying to find comps in the dim light before sunrise, one has to be super careful not to step in an area that would have made for a good foundation. Unfortunately that happened to me a couple of times.... it's like one doesn't see the good comp until you are standing right on it... then it's too late... So I also got in the habit of walking only where I had already walked, much like in snow, so that my foot prints were left to a minimum for future compositions.

Jim

Apr 12, 2013 at 04:03 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Temple of the Sun at Sunrise

ben egbert wrote:
Fantastic. I am heading that way next month, is there places to camp near the Temples?

Hey Ben, I am glad you liked the shot.

As for camping, there are no close campgrounds, the closest one with a pit toilet is about 13 miles away up on the mesa overlooking Cathedral Valley. Now, the border for the NP starts right as you turn off the main loop road through Cathedral Valley, so not sure if that's BLM or what, but I did see people camping out there on my last trip. For me, since I typically am only sleeping about 3 or 4 hours with shooting late and then early, I usually just crawl into my jeep and snooze there for a few hours in one of the parking areas. It's more like taking a nap then camping that way...

Jim

Apr 12, 2013 at 04:08 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.