New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia
Great travel photography can evoke a range of emotions and usually ends in that feeling of ‘itchy feet.’ CPN writer Ian Farrell applies the foot powder and talks to Canon Explorer Joel Santos about a recent trip to Patagonia with the EOS 6D DSLR…

The countryside in Patagonia is challenging – not flat, but very hilly – and keeping the weight of his equipment to a minimum was top of Joel’s list of priorities. With this in mind he replaced his usual EOS 5D Mark III cameras with the smaller, lighter EOS 6D, and a clutch of zoom lenses.

“Every gram was important – letting us take water instead, which is way more important than camera gear,” he jokes. “I wanted image quality that was in the same league as the EOS 5D Mark III and, although the EOS 6D has slightly less resolution, it still has a full-frame sensor that delivers amazing detail. It also has built-in GPS, meaning I didn't have to take an add-on unit, which again saved space and valuable weight.” - [url=http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/joel_santos_on_the_eos_6d.do]full article[/url

B&H Photo has the Canon EOS 6D & EF 24-105mm f/4L IS Lens Kit for $2,199 (Orig. $2,399)

Apr 12, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Bones74
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

Inspirational, thanks for posting Fred

Apr 12, 2013 at 08:32 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

Fred why have your total posts been reset ? Its showing 3.

Apr 12, 2013 at 08:33 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

I have always loved Joel Santos' work. Nice!

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Fred why have your total posts been reset ? Its showing 3.

Must have wrapped at max u16 or something like that...

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

I'm using XP SP3, Google's Chrome browser and Fred's post count is showing...

Total Posts: 15678

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

StillFingerz wrote:
I'm using XP SP3, Google's Chrome browser and Fred's post count is showing...

Total Posts: 15678

Yep same on my iPad . Odd as it really was 3 earlier

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

An interesting article/promo for the 6D, given the photographer's lens choices; all f4 zooms, the adventure and images do once again show the 6D's merits.

Combined with the plethora of images, from landscape, family and some sports n wildlife, that we've seen in the Canon forum, the choice between the 6D and 5D3 really is a simple one...standard okay AF or kickarse AF, soon AF at f8, full uncompressed HDMI out, two disks, etc. at $1k more.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

Fred was probably just messing with your head, Dobby.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

StillFingerz wrote:
the choice between the 6D and 5D3 really is a simple one...standard okay AF or kickarse AF, soon AF at f8, full uncompressed HDMI out, two disks, etc. at $1k more.

For me it was really easy, in favor of the 6D. I rarely shoot sports or fast moving wildlife. So a simple AF is fine by me. Built in GPS, a lighter build, and $1K less. That's a $1K I could spend on another lens. And that is why I went 6D and I love it.

Apr 12, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Photonic
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

StillFingerz,

You left off the one difference that was probably the most important to Joel. LESS WEIGHT.

I just completed a 100 mile trek through Patagonia a few months ago and I can tell you that I would have welcomed any reduction in pack weight. Doubt Joel was actually trading camera weight for water weight, however. You can drink from any river or stream in Torres del Paine or Mount Fitz Roy parks and you find them everywhere.

Apr 12, 2013 at 03:03 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

Photonic wrote:
StillFingerz,

You left off the one difference that was probably the most important to Joel. LESS WEIGHT.

I just completed a 100 mile trek through Patagonia a few months ago and I can tell you that I would have welcomed any reduction in pack weight. Doubt Joel was actually trading camera weight for water weight, however. You can drink from any river or stream in Torres del Paine or Mount Fitz Roy parks and you find them everywhere.

Hi Carl,

Indeed, the 6D weight factor is huge, wifi, gps, interchangeable focusing screens, -3ev center point; although the 5D3 is pretty good also at -2ev, and high ISO IQ is a tad better with the 6D.

It's really a tough choice, but I'll probably get a 6D kit, the 24-105 will round out my f4L zooms, and I'll probably pickup a 1D3 for it's higher fps, killer AF and AF f8 abilities. The 1D3 being my action/wildlife body, 6D for city/landscapes, macro, etc. Who knows, by the time I take the FF plunge a 1D4 might be within reach...

Jerry

Apr 12, 2013 at 04:06 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

you might have made the same mistake I did - the new "received likes" field is at the bottom...

Apr 12, 2013 at 04:36 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

Can someone please get me a 6d, a plane ticket to Patagonia and Joels photographic skills. Any time, when your ready...

Thanks for posting FM.

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:43 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

I was looking to get this body for my wife

Apr 13, 2013 at 01:11 AM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

Does your wife know you're not satisfied with her current body?

(ok ... couldn't resist!)

Apr 13, 2013 at 05:27 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

He took some great pictures - the only thing I wonder about is why was he carrying a fisheye - If you need weight saving that is not the right lens - I doubt he got any good pictures with it.

I would have carried 17ts, 24-105 and 70-200 and 1.4x.

Apr 13, 2013 at 03:42 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Showcase: Canon EOS 6D in Patagonia

Of the 12 photos the article posted, 2 with 70-200, 4 with 24-105, and 6 with the 17-40.

Apr 13, 2013 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.