Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

nreeque
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

So having just received a Colormunki Ive calibrated the monitor on a 27" Imac and its certainly within its capabilities once calibrated. the calibration was done from the standard imac default profile and for all intended purposes is showing me good shadows and good highlights.

I am using several charts to visually asses calibration. but the easiest way to illustrate the problem I am having is with the printer evaluation chart. Last one on this page http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi048/essay.html

If I open the file in PS CS5 I can see good separation on all the values on the bottom scale SHADOWS AND HIGHLIGHTS and the RGB values match dead on to the color info tool in PS.

Problem: Lightroom does not display the chart in the same way at all. It blocks the shadows and highlights. Both programs use prophotoRGB as a viewing space. No modifications have been done to the file its is exactly as downloaded. I have tested this with other step wedges etc and its the same thing.

Can anyone shine light on this? I am trying to get my monitor as good as posible before I go down the path of making printer profiles again. But I am not sure what it is im not understanding on how lightroom represents the shadows or why they wouldn't match in RGB values.

Here is the kicker! If I softproof using either the custom profile i just created or profotoRGB color profile inside lightroom the preview matches the PS preview. Which leads me to believe that Lightroom is not using profotoRGB and indeed color managing the file? Im not sure if that is even possible. I know that it cannot be changed.

anyone?

Apr 11, 2013 at 07:57 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

nreeque wrote:
So having just received a Colormunki Ive calibrated the monitor on a 27" Imac and its certainly within its capabilities once calibrated. the calibration was done from the standard imac default profile and for all intended purposes is showing me good shadows and good highlights.

I am using several charts to visually asses calibration. but the easiest way to illustrate the problem I am having is with the printer evaluation chart. Last one on this page http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi048/essay.html

If I open the file in PS CS5 I can see good separation on all the values on the bottom scale
...Show more

What is the basis of your claim that Lightroom uses ProphotoRGB? It uses Adobe RGB to display previews in the Library Module and Melissa RGB (a hybrid color space) in the Develop Module.

Apr 11, 2013 at 08:30 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

James_N wrote:
It uses Adobe RGB to display previews in the Library Module and Melissa RGB (a hybrid color space) in the Develop Module.

True, except...

For rendered files such as TIFF, JPEG, and PSD files, Lightroom uses the image’s embedded color profile to display the image, histogram, and color values. If the image doesn’t have a profile, Lightroom assumes the sRGB profile, and the image may not look as expected on your monitor. (excerpt from LR help file)

nreeque,
The image should appear roughly the same in PS and LR when viewed on the same monitor. A significant difference might be caused by:
- A preset that you unintentionally applied during import in LR.
- Improper color management in PS (assign instead of convert to another color space, using the monitor profile as the working color space, etc.)
- Doing the comparison with soft-proofing turned on in PS but not LR or vice-versa.

All I can think of for the moment.

Apr 11, 2013 at 08:42 PM
nreeque
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

I believed ( but i will stand corrected ) that profotoRGB is the way Lightroom interpret .RAW images. Melissa RGB is profotoRGB with an SRGB Gamma is it not?

Either way this is a .TIFF file with an embedded profile which should not change. Hence photoshop displays it properly.

Is Lightroom expecting me to soft proof and create a virtual copy of every single image I intend to print in order to properly adjust the image before printing?

Apr 11, 2013 at 08:48 PM
nreeque
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

Eyeball wrote:
nreeque,
The image should appear roughly the same in PS and LR when viewed on the same monitor. A significant difference might be caused by:
- A preset that you unintentionally applied during import in LR.
- Improper color management in PS (assign instead of convert to another color space, using the monitor profile as the working color space, etc.)
- Doing the comparison with soft-proofing turned on in PS but not LR or vice-versa.

All I can think of for the moment.

1. No Presets, image is untouched re downloaded it and brought i back in just in case. Its not just this one image I also use an ilford printing guide one same problem.

2. The PS color profile is properly applied and the image displays the way its intended ( full spectrum ) or full enough considering the hardware I have.

3. When I softproof in PS the values stay where they are supposed to and "look" proper.

In other words PS work environment treats the file perfectly as intended. But Lightroom does not. It simply crushes the blacks and whites.

Apr 11, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

If you open an image in LR and then do an "Edit in" to Photoshop, do both images look the same?

How do you have your Working Spaces and Polices set in Edit>Color Settings in PS?

Apr 11, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

Here is what a comparison looks like on my non-wide-gamut monitor (LR below, PS above):

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12145446/LRPSCompare.jpg

Apr 11, 2013 at 09:24 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

If you save a file in prophoto, that you're later previewing in both PS and LR - and the image is to dark in LR before applying the soft-proof, that just means that LR isn't applying the profile before the softproof. It just applies a standard gamma 2.2 curve on the RGB values.

Prophoto is gamma 1.8, which does quite a difference in the shadows compared to gamma 2.2.

So, applying soft-proof would solve the problem. I'd rather print from inside PS anyway.

Just make sure that your Adobe products are synced in color management, as mentioned above.

Apr 12, 2013 at 05:29 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

nreeque,

I suggest that you review all the panels in LR and make sure that all the settings are zeroed out. All the Basic settings should be set at 0 and the Tone Curve should be linear. The Calibration panel should be set to the 2012 process and the profile should show "Embedded".

One thing that occurred to me was that you might have Auto Tone turned on in your LR preferences but that would probably open up the shadows, not block them up.

There is one other thing that comes to mind. I have not seen it myself and there seems to be some controversy on the web regarding whether it is a true bug or not but you might want to check it out. Some LR users claim that PS and LR don't match when they are using a V4 monitor profile. If you set your Colormunki software to generate a V4 profile, you might want to try a V2 instead and see if that clears up your problem.

Here is a sample link where someone said this change worked for them. You might find additional info on the Adobe Lightroom forum.

http://unifiedphoto.com/2010/09/lightroom-images-do-not-look-same-as-photoshop/

Apr 12, 2013 at 07:49 AM
nreeque
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

Thanks guys for your replies. Indeed everything is zeroed out and I have been using these images to calibrate monitors and printers before but had not done so in 2 years now. the parameters are all synched and verified as being neutral and matching in work environments.

I do prefer to print inside of Photoshop but I am so used to a Lightroom workflow now a days, It seems silly to use two programs when a single program is engineered to work from image import to image print. apparently Lightroom does expect you to "softproof" every single image you intend to print and that might be right, since that is the only way to check clipping on paper and ink combinations as long as your have the proper profile.

@Eyeball let me look into this Version Issue. This looks interesting. I combed the lightroom forums and did some extensive searches and could not find the answer to anyone having a similar problem.

If i do find a solution I will post it on here.

thanks again everyone.

Apr 12, 2013 at 01:41 PM
nreeque
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

Eyeball wrote:
nreeque,

Some LR users claim that PS and LR don't match when they are using a V4 monitor profile. If you set your Colormunki software to generate a V4 profile, you might want to try a V2 instead and see if that clears up your problem.

Here is a sample link where someone said this change worked for them. You might find additional info on the Adobe Lightroom forum.

http://unifiedphoto.com/2010/09/lightroom-images-do-not-look-same-as-photoshop/

I had never heard of this before but THANK YOU to Eyeball for bringing it to my attention. Indeed the problem is now fixed and I can move on with printer profiling. Colormunki > Preferences > Set to V2 and re calibrated from scratch. Everything is the way it should be in LR, PS, and even Aperture.

Apr 12, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

Thats a great tip.

Thank you for coming back and letting us know problem is resolved.

Apr 12, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Monitor Calibration does not match in Lightroom and CS5? HELP?

Glad it worked! I know those mysterious color management things can be very frustrating.

Apr 12, 2013 at 04:45 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.