Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What lens to bring to Tokyo? And a picture from my home ...

Tim Yue

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What lens to bring to Tokyo? And a picture from my home town.

I received some tremendous advices last time I went to London.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1185087/0?keyword=London#11300045

I am posting again as I will be going to Tokyo and Hong Kong in 2 months. I have a 5D2 and here are some of the lens I have.

16-35L, 35L, 8-15L, 85L, 70-200II, 100 Macro

I will stay in Tokyo for about a week, any places recommended that I should visit. Should I stay in Tokyo or I should visit places around Tokyo as well?
How about HK?

Looking forward to all the advices, suggestions and photos.

Another photo from around where I live.

Thank you very much!

Tim

Apr 11, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What lens to bring to Tokyo? And a picture from my home town.

What are you interested in shooting? Tokyo is a mix of modern and traditional architecture so you can find a wide range of subjects. Along with modern dress, if you have any sort of festival or special event, traditional costuming is likely to be out there for shooting. As to getting away from Tokyo, here are a couple of areas to do some searching on. Nikko - for traditional architecture as well as mountain scenery, Kamakura, an ancient capitol with a myriad of shrines, temples, one of the Great Buddhas, etc. Not sure if it's still there, there used to be a narrow gauge trolley line which ran from the main Kamakura station out to the beach resort area, again, access to a number of traditional architectural sites. Fuji-Hakone - scenic area with a variety of lakes, Mount Fuji, numerous museums, scenic rail lines, aerial trams, etc.

Hong Kong, one of my favorite areas for scenics was shooting from the area around the top of the Peak tram around sunset. One could shoot back over the metropolitan harbor and out over the sea in the other direction.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM
bvihlidal

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What lens to bring to Tokyo? And a picture from my home town.

I'd definitely pack the 35L. I used one almost exclusively while in Tokyo a few weeks back. If you have the 24-105 I'd pack it along as well. Anything over 100mm is too big IMHO, but your mileage may vary.

If you are able to day trip ... using the Shinkansen is sooo easy and great for quick trips to places outside the city where in the same station you can hook up with local trains to get you really close to your destination.

Kamakura is great. A full day with overnight in Kyoto is well worth it IMHO.

In Tokyo you absolutely cannot miss the Tsukiji fish market. It is amazing and the subject matter for all sorts of great shots is endless. Get there EARLY .. 5 AM early.

The Roppongi area is great especially at night when it comes alive with all sorts of debauchery.

If you venture out to Fuji / Hakone area pick your spot weather wise. When I was there you couldn't see the Mountain.

Apr 24, 2013 at 07:52 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What lens to bring to Tokyo? And a picture from my home town.

Like Craig mentioned, it really depends on what you're planning to photograph. If you're doing cityscape and street photography for the most part, then I would pack the 16-35, 35 and 85 while leaving the 70-200 home. You definitely want to travel as light as possible, especially if you're lugging around your gear for the majority of the day.

-Nick

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:00 PM
Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What lens to bring to Tokyo? And a picture from my home town.

can't offer anything on your question, but your picture is sick!

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tim Yue

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What lens to bring to Tokyo? And a picture from my home town.

Thank you for all the information. I am not sure what to see yet, still gathering information.

I have great interest in visiting the Tsukiji fish market, how can I get there at 5:00AM, when do the trains start?

I did try to look for local tour to visit Hakone but they are not available if I mention about my kids...maybe I will have to go there without joining a tour.

Kell, thank you for your kind comment.

Tim

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:41 AM
bvihlidal

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What lens to bring to Tokyo? And a picture from my home town.

Do you know where you are staying Tokyo?

I was at the New Sanno which is about 10 - 15 min cab ride to Tsukiji. We cabbed in very early and then took the train home.

I think the trains start running at 5 am though. We had a late night and the cab was too easy to pass up.

Also, I'm not saying you should, but you can go in the "side" entrance to the fish market and avoid the tourist area. Yes, you can't see the auction, but you get the real heart of the market and it's wonderful.

Cutting the back bone out

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:23 PM
Clayton G
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What lens to bring to Tokyo? And a picture from my home town.

Such a personal question. I am planning a vacation and am expecting to bring just a 28 1.8 and 85 1.8 with my 5d2 to watch the size/weight. Amazing what this combo will cover.

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:19 PM
the888account
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What lens to bring to Tokyo? And a picture from my home town.

100% recommend Kyoto for a night or two. Probably one of the few places left in Japan where you can spot a genuine Geisha girl

Kyoto as a good number of temples, inc the golden pavilion. There are also the imperial palace and gardens to take in.

Mount Fuji isn't a million miles to Tokyo either - a few hours by coach I seem to recall.

HK is a a feast for the eyes. Consider taking a boat trip out to one of the islands for a photo of the mainland. Your only a boat ride from China as well from HK.

May 07, 2013 at 09:21 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password