Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

dhb820 wrote:
Excellent photos! The bird in #1 is a red-winged Blackbird. I've got a very similar photo of the tree sparrow on the bird box. Great work.

Thanks kindly Den! There is an ongoing joke here on the forum about the Rew-winged for ID Just wish those bird boxes were made to look like a branch, that would make these shots easy
Thanks for the kind words...
Karl

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

KCollett wrote:
Wow, what a great set Karl. Sweet Robin. Lovely RWBB (at least, that is what I think it is). My fave by lots though is the little Song Sparrow. What a beauty. You captured it perfectly on a spare perch, and presented it against a smooth BG. Nice, nice, very nice.

Yes I do think it to be a RWBB with a 'twist' Easy to overlook the Robins but they have some nice character in decent light and this one jumped out to see me Yes that Song Sparrow was begging to take top shot for the day and I was determined to make it happen, thanks much Ken
Karl

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

sritri wrote:
Super

You talk too much

Thanks Shreeni, appreciated
Karl

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

canon.eos30d wrote:
Beautiful collection for spring, Karl. I totally love every single photos from sharpness, detail, poses. Very special.

- Tam

Hey Tam, thanks, it was my turn to get out for a bit finally!
Karl

Apr 11, 2013 at 01:05 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

KirkB wrote:
#1 might be a dark morph Cardinal Whatever it is, it is perfectly exposed and composed on a nice cattail.
Morning Singer is a real beauty in front of a very complimentary BG... very well done.
Love the very cool textures of the tree your Starling is working in... and I do see it eyeing me.
NTS is a terrific image and my pick for best in set... Super Duper Karl!
Congrats on the Red-bellied WP...and the Robin did step out of my monitor and left a little mess on my keyboard. Great detail buddy.
Squatter once again is
...Show more

Dark morph Cardinal.............hmmm I'll look that one up It is hard to leave this area to head back into to the woods when these are teasing me in good light, thanks buddy!
The morning singer was beggin for attention, just sweeetly! Soon this Starling nest will be noisy and yes he is peeking out at you and me That is cool you like the NTS, was hoping for a more eye level shot but worked this one before I lost the lower level light fromt he morning Trying to give more credit to the 'common' birds and this Robin offered a surprise hop to pose!
I will work on the Swallows more, so much character, just need the sweet BG to put them on!

You were kind here buddy, thanks again
Karl

Apr 11, 2013 at 01:18 PM
David Salem
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

Very nice stuff Karl, All are great but the RWBB is is darn near perfect and they are not that easy to expose properly. Well done!!

Apr 11, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

Very nice work on the spring birds Karl. I do like #1 maybe with more room if available, #2,5 and 6. TFS

Apr 11, 2013 at 03:02 PM
Larry Williams
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

I see that you are all tuned up for some Warbler action..........it's gettin' close my friend!

Apr 11, 2013 at 04:07 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

Great variety, thanks for sharing them all!

Apr 11, 2013 at 04:17 PM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

A great set here Karl.

I am going to go with no.1 as my favourite, I think the composition on the shot is perfect.

No.6 really does have the 3D feel too, as you say looks like the Robin is going walk right onto my keyboard!

Paul.

Apr 11, 2013 at 05:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

Shasoc wrote:
A fine set of well captured and presented images, Karl, with the song sparrow being its highlight. The exposure is well controlled in all of these and detail look fine
Socrate

That is pleasing to hear from you Socrate, thanks for the reinforcement on the presentation of them.
Karl

Apr 11, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

Shasoc wrote:
A fine set of well captured and presented images, Karl, with the song sparrow being its highlight. The exposure is well controlled in all of these and detail look fine
Socrate

That is pleasing to hear from you Socrate, thanks for the reinforcement on the presentation of them.
Karl

Apr 11, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

Me too, Karl, I really like these.
Charlie

Apr 11, 2013 at 08:03 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

Tim Kuhn wrote:
I can tell by the tone of your writing what kind of a morning this was for you buddy. I'm so happy had a morning like that, we all live for those days, they are indeed special.

You had to start out with a mystery bird A super fine rendition at that. Super pose and super comp. If I wanted to nit they would be super nits, the sort of thing I reserve for super critting my own work. This shot doesn't deserve that sort of thing
2 oh yeah, we get setups like this and grin from
...Show more

Ohhhh Tim................where do I start to reply to this THANKS my friend

#1 whew glad I started off with a good one to warm you up
#2 this corner of the haunt has great potential for light and clean BG, just needed someone singing out for attention and I was Johnny on the spot to oblige
#3 I lke the character for their plummage, this one was quiet since it had its mouthful
#4 with time you learn to wait for the light to fill where it needs to, also a good bird to work some learned PP on as you would know. I was hoping for more images on a much better BG but this pose worked out! Thanks my friend.........again
#5 this was a stretch but liked the relaxed pose and rare find for me
#6 this one wanted to be part of my day, just jumped out of the shade and into to the light, I was there thankfully and ready, not long did it stay! Glad you enjoyed it Tim
#7 My first shot ever of a Tree Swallow was on one of these boxes, I guess I am lured back to honor my beginnings with them, like I said, a shot 'outside the box'

I am glad we share the same passions on a set like this, lots of little things to appreciate and to share...........I don't know what all the hype is, there just silly ole birds I think I'll try flowers next..........
Karl

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

Karl,

You killed this set. I particularly liked 1,2,4 and 6. Your motivating me

Charles

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

A great set Karl. You have great sharpness and detail in all of these. The BGs are all very nice too. I do have one little nit though. In 1, the reds lack detail on my monitor. You can try this to see if you can recover some detail:

Open raw file in Camera Raw.
Click on HSL/Grayscale
Open Luminance.
Decrease the Red Channel.

Ron

Apr 12, 2013 at 02:14 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

Terrific shots Karl. Eye candy for me, thanks
David

Apr 12, 2013 at 03:58 PM
jfwoodman
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

Wow, Karl - I kept scrolling and mentally trying to track my picks, turns out to be ALL of them. Wonderful set here!

If forced to pick...

#1 is perhaps the best RWBB shot I have ever seen. No exaggeration. Love his perch, image is tack sharp in sweet light, terrific pose and comp. Bravo!! One thought, is there just a tiny bit more room to add on the right?
#2 - what a pose for the chirper, and the perch and background work perfectly in the image. again - tack sharp and wonderful feather detail. Terrific!

Great set, Karl!

Apr 12, 2013 at 05:36 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

Well its great to get some sunshine Karl even for a few hours. Winter has been real long, colder than normal with lots of snow and ice and nature photography real slow here too but it looks like Spring may be coming now.
You got a great set and a pleasure to view and comment on.
1 is just nigh perfect with its backward looking pose and perch ideal for a vertical shot and its eye looking straight down your lens.
2 I can hear this guy singing as it sits daintily between the thorns.
3 A real busy shot with lots of shapes and curvy wood. The bird blends in very well there. Wish I could see its eye though.
4 Don't think we have these guys over here. Beautiful colors and bg.
5 Nice one of the woodie
6 Yes that Robin looks like it want to come out of the screen and have a nice cup of tea
7 Very nice pic here but the bird looks a little sad to me. Maybe it wants to be inside.

Really enjoyed viewing these Karl and commenting, and looking forward to seeing more from your outings.
Martin

Apr 12, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Spring Birds and one 'outside the box'....(7)

birdied wrote:
Bravo Karl !!! So glad you got out and enjoyed your morning. Now we get to enjoy the gorgeous fruits of your labor.

What a gorgeous set , love them all . I really tried to pick a favorite or two, but just can't. Each one offers something wonderful whether it be detail, background, a bit of its habits, or just a stunning look.

You need to get out more often

Birdie

A kind thanks Birdie on your comments. It is frustrating to only get two possible chances a week to go out to shoot, the weather usually takes one away so getting a good day out is truly a luxury for me, soooooo much gets by me and it bugs me.
Enjoy your sunshine and offerings, I'll do my best to get out more often
Karl

Apr 12, 2013 at 07:03 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password