Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

popinvasion
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

After all the discussion I had to get one, but I was seriously worried about the focus issues. Well, mine arrived sharper than any lens I own but also very vibey. It just has this color and personality that just reminds me of a high quality artistic movie type of color, almost artificial but in a good way. It's also super fast. As far as focus is concerned every focus point but one is sharp and even the outer points are sharp. I am not sure why but one focus point is slightly soft but just by a hair, its the bottom middle spot. I am not worried. Even that spot is pretty sharp comparatively speaking. Now I did not do anything super scientific, just some simple tests. I would post some pics but I am waiting for my new computer atm. The lens is beautiful and well made and the price was right.

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:58 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

Sigma 35/1.4 is the sharpest lens I own as of date. It is also the only lens that focuses properly on my D800 without a single issue. I never thought I would say this about Sigma lens. All the focusing points are right on the money.

I own 70-200VRII, 105VR macro, 16-35/f4, 50/1.8g and 85/1.8g. None of these lenses can touch my Sigma both in focusing and in sharpness.

I need to spend time and AF tune all my other lenses for them to perform like Sigma. I am so glad I did not return it like I planned. If I can get my 70-200VRII to perform like Sigma I will be the happiest man alive.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Albi86
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

Same here. It also has a short MFD, so it basically has substituted my 85/1.8G as a portrait lens. If Sigma cranks out an 85mm like this and a good value 100-400-ish telezoom I'll happily have an all-Sigma setup.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

Albi86 wrote:
Same here. It also has a short MFD, so it basically has substituted my 85/1.8G as a portrait lens. If Sigma cranks out an 85mm like this and a good value 100-400-ish telezoom I'll happily have an all-Sigma setup.

Sigma already has a stellar 85 f/1.4

Apr 11, 2013 at 03:28 PM
Albi86
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

I know, but I'm not sure it is quite on the same level. Maybe if you have both you can tell me more.

However I would wait til an updated version is released. I love the new finish and build, and the firmware upgrade capability.

Apr 11, 2013 at 03:57 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

okafoja wrote:
I own 70-200VRII, 105VR macro, 16-35/f4, 50/1.8g and 85/1.8g. None of these lenses can touch my Sigma both in focusing and in sharpness.

I need to spend time and AF tune all my other lenses for them to perform like Sigma. I am so glad I did not return it like I planned. If I can get my 70-200VRII to perform like Sigma I will be the happiest man alive.

I must say my Sigma 35mm 1.4 is very sharp and focusses wel, but doesn't even come close to my 70-200 in therms of focusspeed and accuracy. Focussing on the sigma is somewhat slow, but accurate and it locks on everytime (which is very nice for a prime). 70-200 is almost instant, very very accurate and also instant lock-on.
Send that 70-200 in if you don't get that peformance!
Ps: Using a D800e, focusing improved a LOT with the new firmware update. Be shure to download it!

Apr 11, 2013 at 04:34 PM
lsutigerfan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

Sharper than the 85/1.8g AND the 105mmVR? C'mon bruh. I mean, this is probably my next purchase but as I own ALL of the lenses you mentioned (70-200/2.8 VRII, 50/1.8g, 85/1.8G, and the incredible 105mm VR) it's hard for me to believe that. Perhaps you meant "wide open" right? The 85 and the 105VR are both SICK!! Plus, that much difference in FL is really hard to measure. Not calling you a liar, but perhaps just a *little* overjoyed. Regardless, glad it's getting so much damn love! When I jumped to Nikon, my 35L is the only glass I've missed. And Nikon's own version is pretty good, but not as good as it should have been given how long it took for them to finally produce this 1.4 glass in my favorite Fl

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

lsutigerfan wrote:
Sharper than the 85/1.8g AND the 105mmVR? C'mon bruh. I mean, this is probably my next purchase but as I own ALL of the lenses you mentioned (70-200/2.8 VRII, 50/1.8g, 85/1.8G, and the incredible 105mm VR) it's hard for me to believe that. Perhaps you meant "wide open" right? The 85 and the 105VR are both SICK!! Plus, that much difference in FL is really hard to measure. Not calling you a liar, but perhaps just a *little* overjoyed. Regardless, glad it's getting so much damn love! When I jumped to Nikon, my 35L is the only glass I've missed.
...Show more

I know you are not calling me a liar. All am saying was that my Sigma performs better than all my lenses. The weakest lens in my bag is my 70-200VRII. The problem with D800 is that you have to take time and AF tune all your lenses. Once I make time and micro adjust all my Nikon lenses maybe I will feel differently but as of now Sigma is the new sheriff in town.

Wide open nothing comes close to Sigma. My 35L will soon be up for sale.

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:36 AM
lsutigerfan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

Cool beans. Good looking kid in the profile pic BTW. I can't wait to get the Sigma meself. It's also very nice in appearance -- looks like a Hyundai Genesis (Sigma) next to a Mercedes (Leica). In other words....it holds it's own VERY VERY well.

Apr 16, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

BenV wrote:
Sigma already has a stellar 85 f/1.4

.. and a fantastic, super sharp, 120-300/2.8 tele (weighs 3kg though) that takes both a x1.4 and x2 TC very well indeed

Apr 16, 2013 at 04:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

colincarter46
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

okafoja wrote:
I know you are not calling me a liar. All am saying was that my Sigma performs better than all my lenses. The weakest lens in my bag is my 70-200VRII. The problem with D800 is that you have to take time and AF tune all your lenses. Once I make time and micro adjust all my Nikon lenses maybe I will feel differently but as of now Sigma is the new sheriff in town.

Wide open nothing comes close to Sigma. My 35L will soon be up for sale.

You don't need to micro adjust your AF with all your lenses with the D800, or indeed any of your lenses, that's a statement without any substance. I don't know why you would make a ridiculous statement like that?

I've never adjusted any of my lenses with my D800 camera, i haven't a need to, they perform faultlessly and i'm very particular when it comes to IQ which is why i only buy the best lenses, they are an investment in my photography.

If your 70-200 is your weakest lens, something is wrong, its one of Nikons sharpest and indeed fastest focusing lenses, its like lightening and tack sharp at all apertures.

Apr 16, 2013 at 06:14 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

colincarter46 wrote:
You don't need to micro adjust your AF with all your lenses with the D800, or indeed any of your lenses, that's a statement without any substance. I don't know why you would make a ridiculous statement like that?

I've never adjusted any of my lenses with my D800 camera, i haven't a need to, they perform faultlessly and i'm very particular when it comes to IQ which is why i only buy the best lenses, they are an investment in my photography.

If your 70-200 is your weakest lens, something is wrong, its one of Nikons sharpest and indeed fastest focusing
...Show more

Good for you if your D800 AF works without adjusting any of your lenses. I used to run around thinking I can just stick a lens on my D800 and fire away. It just doesnít work that way at least not for me. Mind you I do this to all my cameras now not just D800 but D800 is the worst. My D700 was as solid as a rock.

I now believe in AF tuning. I just invested on Reikan focal. So far I have tested it on my 50/1.8g and 16-35f4. My 50/1.8g requires +7 and 16-35 at 24mm requires +4 and at 35mm it requires +11. I didnít even know that 50/1.8g can be sharp wide open until Reikan Focal. I used to stop it down to get sharp images out of it but not anymore.

I know there is nothing wrong with my 70-200VRII because it worked like a champ when I use to own D600. I know it is a question of adjusting it with my D800. I was about to dump my D800 but after Nikon delivered the firmware update it resolved all my AF issues. The only step left is to micro adjust.

So my statement may sound ridiculous to you but not to me.

Apr 16, 2013 at 07:13 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

I also fine tune all of my lenses on the D800, it makes them that much sharper...
I think fine tuning ability is one of the best things Nikon added to the bodies...

Apr 16, 2013 at 08:18 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

swore i wouldn't buy another sigma, we'll see in a week how this lens is in a week 😖

Apr 16, 2013 at 08:28 PM
Jonathan
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

lsutigerfan wrote:
Sharper than the 85/1.8g AND the 105mmVR? C'mon bruh. I mean, this is probably my next purchase but as I own ALL of the lenses you mentioned (70-200/2.8 VRII, 50/1.8g, 85/1.8G, and the incredible 105mm VR) it's hard for me to believe that. Perhaps you meant "wide open" right? The 85 and the 105VR are both SICK!! Plus, that much difference in FL is really hard to measure. Not calling you a liar, but perhaps just a *little* overjoyed. Regardless, glad it's getting so much damn love! When I jumped to Nikon, my 35L is the only glass I've missed.
...Show more

John isn't "overjoyed" if his works like mine. I have all of the lenses you mention and the Sigma has been glued to my camera because it really is that good. My 70-200VRII is simply amazing...the Sigma is sharper. The 105VR isn't even close. I never thought I'd say that and I'm as surprised to type it as some may be to read it.

Also, I was glad to see that the Sigma dock is going to start shipping soon:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04/12/sigma-uk-announces-price-for-120-300mm-F2p8-and-usb-dock

This is a wide open shot I had already posted some time ago of my daughter that tells me a lot. No sharpening done:

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:50 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

Jonathan wrote:
John isn't "overjoyed" if his works like mine. I have all of the lenses you mention and the Sigma has been glued to my camera because it really is that good. My 70-200VRII is simply amazing...the Sigma is sharper. The 105VR isn't even close. I never thought I'd say that and I'm as surprised to type it as some may be to read it.

Also, I was glad to see that the Sigma dock is going to start shipping soon:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04/12/sigma-uk-announces-price-for-120-300mm-F2p8-and-usb-dock

This is a wide open shot I had already posted some time ago of my daughter that tells me a lot.
...Show more

That was the shot that made me buy the Sigma. When I first saw this shot I thought it was a joke. Funny thing is that I used to accuse people who speak highly of Sigma lenses that they work for Sigma. I have tried a lot of Sigma lenses and none of them have ever worked for me until now.

This lens opened my eyes with D800 after the firmware update. Yes I am too over joyed but for a good reason. My beginning with D800 was very rough. I was almost depressed and have no more interest in photography but now life is so good with D800 and Sigma 35/1.4.

My 5DIII used to be my main camera but I don't know how long that will last.

Hi Jonathan, what is this Sigma dock?

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

Jon I love that shot..
I almost sold my copy of the 35, as I prefer the 24 1.4....
But after today's shoot I'm keeping it..
My client flipped when I showed her the images taken with it.
The 35 really is that good

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Jonathan
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

Hi Jonathan, what is this Sigma dock?

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=19

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

I doubt they are going to sell many of those docks to us 35 f1.4 owners!

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Jonathan
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · my sigma 35 1.4 is better than anticipated with my D800

Creative Edge wrote:
Jon I love that shot..
I almost sold my copy of the 35, as I prefer the 24 1.4....
But after today's shoot I'm keeping it..
My client flipped when I showed her the images taken with it.
The 35 really is that good

Michael, Every time I've even considered letting the Sigma go I look at that photo. The images it gives at any aperture are really special. Considering the IQ, it's a great bargain.

Apr 17, 2013 at 02:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password