Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

popinvasion
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

I see all the discussions about tripods and from my extensive experience a simple manfrotto 055xprob rules them all. I have played with a ton of expensive sticks and I won't mention any brands because I don't want to slag any brand but at the end of the day the inexpensive manfrotto 055xprob is my favorite. It's a little heavy which imo you want. It also needs a bag, which for $50 I bought. Made in Italy. Quality. I even prefer the aluminum over the carbon fiber.

Now heads and mounting plates.... An entirely different discussion one which I have yet to solve for myself. I have a bunch of heads and plates and nothing is making me happy and nothing is compatible which is a pain.

I am not saying that I did not like some of the more expensive sticks either. Some were good, some bad, some ok. But the manfrotto just seems right.

Apr 10, 2013 at 01:34 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

Ps shooting a D800 with 2.8 lenses. My longest is the 70-200 vr2 so that does play into the discussion a bit.

Apr 10, 2013 at 01:42 PM
afm901
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

Massive fail!!!

My Gitzo GT3541XLS is just so much more tripod that the Manfrotto 055XPROB it's not even funny.

Scott

Apr 10, 2013 at 01:46 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

Haha Scott is funny.

But yes, my Gitzo 3530LSV is just way better than my previously lost tripod (it was a 055). Lighter, handles more weight and I actually use (when I have time for shooting).

Apr 10, 2013 at 01:51 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

afm901 wrote:
Massive fail!!!

My Gitzo GT3541XLS is just so much more tripod that the Manfrotto 055XPROB it's not even funny.

Scott

No fail. Your GT354 is fine but to be honest it did not absorb sock well and displayed a bit of shake mostly in video work which I do a lot of.

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:08 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

since it's show off time, let me play too.

My Majestic 4000 series tripod against any of your tripods for stability, anyday, anytime, anyplace.

In fact, just to make it fair, you can beat on the Majestic with your tripod for 10 minutes, just to get started. Hell, let's make a platform so you can stand ON the Majestic while you're trying to make it shake.

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:15 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

Zebrabot wrote:

My Majestic 4000 series tripod against any of your tripods for stability, anyday, anytime, anyplace.

In fact, just to make it fair, you can beat on the Majestic with your tripod for 10 minutes, just to get started. Hell, let's make a platform so you can stand ON the Majestic while you're trying to make it shake.

Nice.

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:22 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

Not an expert on tripods but I don't like ball heads and favor gimbals for action (Wimberley MK II) and geared heads for precision (Manfrotto/Bogen 400/410).

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:29 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

Zebrabot wrote:

The same is true for my old and extremely heavy Schiansky-tripod. It's stable enough for every camera I can imagine, but carrying this beast into the woods is pure horror (done that, together with a heavy Arca Swiss 4x5 camera and several lenses - ouch).
Right now I love my Berlebach tripods - made out of ash-wood - not too heavy, stable and nicely priced.
Carbon is nice for fishing rods, for tripods I prefer wood or metal ;-)

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:30 PM
Next39
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

georgms wrote:
...but carrying this beast into the woods is pure horror...

That made me lol.

Apr 10, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

Great, thanks for that rigorous scientific test of great benefit to everyone.

Apr 10, 2013 at 03:33 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

Mark_L wrote:
Great, thanks for that rigorous scientific test of great benefit to everyone.

Sorry for my unscientific reply above, Mark.
The statement "Expensive is not always better" is for sure true when it comes to tripods and some other gear.
It's possible to find really stable tripods for little money on the used market - with some luck and a bit more time.
Not everyone is in need of the latest, top-dollar, premium brand gear.
That's what I meant to say.

Apr 10, 2013 at 03:51 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

Sorry OP, maybe it works alright for you, but I wouldn't dream of putting my lenses on that tripod.

Apr 10, 2013 at 03:51 PM
kendalltristan

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

I'm agreeing with the OP in that it's a fantastic value and an overall excellent set of sticks. I bought one for my father last year for his birthday and he loves it. I went with the 055CXPRO3 for my big tripod partly because of the weight reduction over the 055XPROB, but mostly because I didn't want to spend Gitzo Systematic money. I regretted that decision for several months and was planning on grabbing a 5542LS, but I got a short center column for the Manfrotto and decided it was good enough and that my money would be better spent on more lighting equipment for the time being. I really can't complain about the Manfrotto in any capacity, but it certainly doesn't seem as nice as my small tripod (which is a Gitzo), but maybe that's just a mental thing. I dunno.

Apr 10, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

georgms wrote:
Sorry for my unscientific reply above, Mark.
The statement "Expensive is not always better" is for sure true when it comes to tripods and some other gear.
It's possible to find really stable tripods for little money on the used market - with some luck and a bit more time.
Not everyone is in need of the latest, top-dollar, premium brand gear.
That's what I meant to say.

From your post "better' seems to just be based on "seems right" and not anything more than that so I'm not sure what people are meant to gain from this. If you'd compared these tripods side by side with a laser pointer strapped to them that would be of real value to people making purchasing decisions.

Apr 10, 2013 at 04:24 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

BenV wrote:
Sorry OP, maybe it works alright for you, but I wouldn't dream of putting my lenses on that tripod.

I put my lenses on a couple of Dynatrans that cost about 50 bucks each. Stable, solid, and as long as I don't have to carry them far (I'm old and decrepit) they work wonderfully. They even work well with a Cullman ball head.

I just used the Dynatran to support a D90 and 300MM f4 with TC to take photos of a crew removing concrete. No problems. Solid as a rock. You don't need to spend a thousand dollars on a tripod, but good for you if you can afford such luxury.

Apr 10, 2013 at 04:25 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

I agree the 055 is a good bang for the buck. I sold my first one to get the CF version. Really love it. For my needs currently I think it will about last a a lifetime.

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:58 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

When the Picture Matters, The Support Matters by wfarrell4, on Flickr

/thread

Wait Wut?

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:01 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

eskimochaos wrote:
/thread

Wait Wut?

not sure why you like spamming that photo so much, its like the 4th or 5th thread now.

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tripod Tripod Tripod. expensive is not always better.

BenV wrote:
not sure why you like spamming that photo so much, its like the 4th or 5th thread now.

It's a poor setup as well. talk about bounce

Apr 10, 2013 at 06:30 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.